Path of Exile

Yeah, I spent some time poking around the forums PoE forums looking at suggested builds, I really don’t want to have to scrap a character and start all the way over. I understand there’s fun in figuring stuff out for yourself, but I’d rather just lark along and not end up gimped because of a few bad skill choices.

I do like looking at the builds and trying them, but I find it tedious to have to in effect have a cheat sheet/webpage open every time I spend a point…

Boy. My homebrew ranger thing barely functioned, and was struggling in act 5. Ignite is really not viable :/

This earthquake jugg, on the other hand, is full clearing every temple while facerolling at Mach speed through everything. Yeah I spent an alch on a Limbsplitter and 2c on the upgrade prophecy, but that’s not much - especially in Incursion. Spending to increase your clearspeed is even more worth it than ever.

Still haven’t gotten anything terribly exciting from the omnitect, but oh well. Level 3 rooms are very lucrative on their own.

This is probably obvious already to everyone, but if you can fully upgrade a breach room in the temple it’s pretty awesome. Three breaches in the lvl 3 room, which fortunately can only be triggered one at a time. (I tried to do more, just to make sure.) Loot absolutely everywhere, to the point of making it difficult to maneuver without your toon trying to pick up random crap. Make sure you clear it out before breaching, 'cause I have to imagine fighting temple mobs and the architect on top of all the breach crazies would be a life-limiting move.

OMG, enable the loot pickup key in UI options!! At those times, also get ready to hit the key that hides all on-screen loot so you can see the mobs (think it is ‘z’)!

Problem with that is it hides the Clasped Hand things too, and I can’t be missing those!

Doesn’t the other UI option to always highlight objects (chests/exits), alleviate that though?

I haven’t been playing, but is it possible to get beyond in there for more funtimes?

Apparently not, since I have that enabled and yet the clasped hands disappear if I toggle off highlighting. And I did a quick search in my item filter, nothing about clasped hands in there so it’s not being blocked there.

Not that I’ve found yet, but who knows, maybe I’ll run across something! Or they may add more room types in the future, seems likely.

I am bad at the story game (I take much longer to finish it than average, I would guess) but I’m currently five levels over the area levels right now because of Incursions/Temple (note: I hit up Alva every chance I get, probably 97% of the maps I have entered at this point). I’m 60 heading into A8. The Impact of Incursions on XP gains is crazy. I’m six levels from my build-mace (which I think will be cheap) and then I’ll be flying. I usually finish the story below level 68 but that seems unlikely at this point.

Already at 151% life to boot. I’ll probably top that off in the 175% range before shifting over to some offensive nodes. The Build is supposed to finish with 200%+ but that’s level 92 IIRC.

Maybe this is a function of having played the game for forever, but I frequently only need to check my build guide occasionally. It’s dependent on starting area and build (e.g. I haven’t done much dual wielding or mace-based builds so I don’t know those nodes as well, and this is my first melee Marauder in ages). I mostly just refer back to the leveling order as needed and I’m good to go.

I haven’t even opened the way to the Omnitect in my last 3 temples (I blew a chance in one of them and late converted an explosives room in another because Vault). Even some t2 rooms make the run worthwhile though.

Yeah. It’s still super worth it to pass on just about anything for a shot at the Omnitect because the possibilities are incredible if you roll a series of 20s, but it’s very much in the usual vein of Path of Exile’s many-layered RNG burrito.

Oh, yeah, I’m sure familiarity helps a ton. I play PoE very episodically, and never develop a critical mass of understanding. All on me, not the game.

If anyone doesn’t know, the rooms which power up the Omnitect give it a chance to drop very good leveling gear, I think even at T1/2. I’ve been running different +100% damage sceptres from it since maybe act 4 or 5. It’s not hard to defeat with a couple of powerups if your build is clicking and you’re doing well in the incursions (and probably overlevelled from running them as peacedog says.)

The downside of the passive tree. Contra some thoughts, I don’t think it’s bad UI. In fact, it’s well designed (as it should be, 7 years into iterating on it). But it takes time, and ideally frequent use, to “get gud at”.

I must be having my normal luck then (of course, only a couple attempts). I got a dagger I held on to, and a bow I dumped in the guild stash, since I never play bow characters. I also got some weird unique gem (that I also dumped) that converts unallocated dex to int (I think).

Yeah, there’s 3 different types of those gems, and they must be the most common things because I get them over and over. Or maybe it’s a function of the way I tend to build my temple for jewelry, gem, and vault rooms all the time. The one that converts Str to crit multi seems like it could be interesting but the numbers just don’t seem high enough to justify.

I do want to try vendoring all three and see if they turn into something. Unfortunately I vendored my strength one and haven’t had one drop since.

You’re supposed to be able to upgrade them with the Altar of Sacrifice. But you have to get the appropriate Vial also, in this case Vial of Transcendence. There’s a bunch of items and vials with various upgrade options, but as per normal with PoE, you gotta get lucky with the drops or trade until you have the right combos.

So wait, are you guys saying that if I change my rooms to give Omni fire, and minions, and all that other jazz, he will drop better loot? Hell I’ve been loading my pyramids in the exact opposite way then, trying to get level III jewelry rooms and what not…What should I be shooting for to get the best chance at solid loot?

I believe it’s linked. Different mods which can drop from the Omnitect are named after various challenge rooms’ architects. Checking just now, the elemental damage weapon mods I used which dropped as rares from the Omnitect are named “Topotante” (see the blue items here) which is the name of the corruption room’s architect. The elemental rooms’ architects have armor mods related to armor mods with resists and elemental damage. The restoration room’s architect has a body armor combined mod with flat life and percent life.

From what I’ve heard, you can also get a box in the tier 3 rooms with a guaranteed blue item. Not sure if I’ve seen this, I usually don’t prioritize promoting the challenge rooms to tier 3 and the rares from the Omnitect were more noticable.

Edit: Supposedly, all the rooms in the right column in this guide image provide the Omnitect a chance for extra drops: