Path of Exile

Blight launches in <24 hours. I’m sure I will get sucked in because I always want to try a Necromancer. I have a plan to ignore the tower defense stuff as long as possible. We’ll see if it works.

I’m sure I will get sucked in because I always play a Necromancer. :)

Will sit and stare at character screen tonight for a few hours. Not sure if I will make a guardian or necromancer. Just know I would like to try a summoner.

Just give in to your inner Necromancer! Once you decide summoner then all you have to do is decide whether you’re going Zombies, Spectres, Golems, Phantasms, Skeletons, Spiders, Carrion Beasts or Animated Guardians! Or an assortment of each

Don’t forget the newer Herald of Agony and Purity minions and Animated Weapons.

I’m going to try a build that runs several of these categories at once. It worked decently for me in the past, should work with the new buffs pretty well.

I’m gonna start with a straight up Skeletons/Zombies all-physical build. Nothing else but supporting skills for that, which would include the new Golem, so three minion types. Raise undead, hit things, repeat. Might try something with more variety later!

I think I’m going to do a build sort of like Bob’s - physical, skellies and zombies. Something easygoing to start!

I’m probably just going to follow this all-physical skeleton/zombie build to begin with. Used something very similar in previous leagues. Leverage someone else’s work until I’ve digested how 3.8 works.

Golems do sound fun, but also expensive for some of the jewels. Guess I will jump on the necro wagon.

GC totems for me. I had trouble deciding. But I’ve found I quite like totems.

this build is supposed to use Soul mantle but no thanks.

I like the tower defense stuff a lot more than I thought I would.

Through the first two acts, it seems pretty decent. Much better than early Incursion (blink, you missed it!) or Synthesis (you’ve fallen into the void!) since all you basically do is stand there and kill things. And I found 4 uniques in one I did in Act 2…if that’s not a bug, I suspect we may see some nerfs to drop rates. I did run into one weird one in a dungeon-style map where the terrain caused some strange creep spawn locations in three different rooms and I had to chase them down, but I suspect they’ll clean up that sort of thing as they start patching.

Up to Act 7 now with PrettyBoneBruise, and it feels very similar to playing my previous physical-focus Necromancer builds. Nice zombie horde, dropping multiple skeletons per summon, stuff melting in the face of the undead assault. The difference is that I haven’t had to slot a bunch of jewels and get ascendancies to make it feel this way. Which gives me a good feeling about end-game, once I get there. Should be a lot more powerful since I’m basically already playing the end-game build from a few leagues ago, and there’s plenty of improvement to go.

I’m in Act 4 with my Necro and just blazing through stuff, having the same experience as you. I even killed Innosence with no issues, which is a rarity for me.

Amazing how much difference playstyle can make, isn’t it? I remember when Act 5 was first released, tons of people on the forums were complaining about how hard that fight was. And my necromancer was like, what fight?

Update, just finished up Act 10 and did my first couple maps. So far PrettyBoneBruise has not died (well, except once at level 2 right out of Lioneye’s Watch, that was me forgetting how to play) and is completely solo-self-found (I did take one item from the guild stash, but I was the one who put it in). Eventually I’ll do some shopping and improve gear, but for now I’m curious how far I can go with just what I find.

Kitava was a non-event fight, as there’s so much stuff to do now that I’m always way overleveled by the time I fight him. Having three Labs under my belt by the time I see him really helps. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that I only had to craft one extra resist onto my gear to be capped on all my elemental resists afterward.

Blight encounters thus far have been pretty easy, once I learned what the various towers do. Only failed the defense a couple of times, when I was experimenting with the different towers. I suspect this will get a lot harder as I go up the atlas map tiers, though, as there are definitely some map mods that will be rough. I finally used some of the anointing stuff, which seems pretty cool. Anointed my amulet to pick up a 30 Dex node (needed until I find better gear) without having to path to it on the passive tree, very handy.

There are some changes that have been pleasant surprises. (Some of these may be from the last couple leagues, didn’t play much in those.) Incursions seem to be a whole lot more forgiving than they used to be, more time and I haven’t yet hit one of the “zone in, you’re dead” versions with every ranged pack spawning around you. The new way that master missions on the Atlas work is great, pick your own maps and do them when you want to. And the five extra skill keys are outstanding, so much easier when you don’t have to change your skill bar to resummon dead minions or pop out some corpses with Desecrate.

I can’t believe the tower defense has turned out as fun as it has. Who would have thought.

Agreed, @peacedog.

Plus I just got this from my first Act 6 blight: Skullhead. So I’m pretty happy.

Nice!

I haven’t even hit most of the big QOL stuff from this league yet (I’m slow, just hit a5, need to secure that sweet GC threshold gem). I’ve had a few uniques from blight chests, the most notable an early Lochtonal Caress (so good for the leveling).

I’m already close to filling my extra skill bar :)

I think I need to go buy a lottery ticket today. I got to level 20, and got a random Tabula Rasa drop… I’ve never actually owned one of these before. Also, I almost always role an Elementalist but I am shamefully stealing PrettyBoneBruise’s skill tree as I level up and having fun with the Necro stuff. I kind of like the summon options you have. So many! I’m playing with the Infernal Legion thing right now, and I feel a little like I’m on auto pilot. Stuff just seems to all melt. Hopefully that continues until I unlock enough gems to make this TR useful.