Path of Exile

Woohoo, I just got into the beta today. The email went into my junk folder, but I got lucky and saw it come in.

With the 0.96 patch the developers have created an online skill tree. For those of you who are interested heres my Marauder and my witch. The marauder is level 53 and the witch is level 18. I’m going to take bloodless with my next point on the tree for the marauder.

I’m pretty new to ARPG’s so I suspect that now i’m near the end game with my marauder that I’ve mucked the build up for him, as while I can do 2400dps with one of my skills im regularly getting killed. eg I played for 4 hours yesterday and ended up with less experience than I started with…

How am I just hearing about this game? Just read up on the skill system and it sound fantastic. Signed up for the beta; fingers crossed!

.96, huh? Sounds like release isn’t too far away!

So a friend got me into the Beta, downloading it now and will try to post some impressions later.

Theres a hardcore ladder race on Sunday NZ time this weekend with in game currency prizes to players who get to the highest. They are quite a bit fun. But if you are in Ireland it might at a bad time for you. Check out the beta forum for details.

Other than disliking the character art/concepts and the way-too-complex passive skill tree I am having a blast with this. It’s pretty well done overall.

Is the Path of Exile Skill Tree:

That much more complex than the FF10 one:

Both look ridiculous to me, but I never played any FF games past VII, so it might have some finer points.

Yes actually, it is severely more complex then the FFX Sphere Grid.

The Sphere Grid is actually more or less a straight line for each character, although it might not look like that at first glance. The only significant branches are locked behind walls you must purposefully unlock with late game items. In contrast to the Path of Exile skill tree which starts every character at the same point with numerous branch points and is needlessly complex. From my brief glances at it I feel like they could easily cut it down a bit and retain the aesthetic, but I get the impression that the developers want this as a “selling point” and that’s that.

All that is besides the point that FFX is a SP game and never had to worry about Balance. Or the fact that you could send your character around the entire Grid if you wanted to, for every character, or countless other differences. The only thing the two games have in common is some aesthetic similarities.

I find that once you are actually creating a character its not too bad. But I may be in the minority on that.

The path of exile grid really is that bad. Starting the game it just feels overwhelming. Lots of the choices are redundant, too. Terrible design.

Actually each character class has its own starting point on the tree rather than a single point.

I dunno, I see that grid and it makes me want to play more. But I’ve got issues, so your mileage may vary. ;)

I was under the impression that they all started in the centre, no?

no345

No sir. Each character has its own starting point.

If we say that north is up on the tree then the witch starts north of the middle. Maruader south west, templar north west, ranger south east, duelist south, and the unannouced 6th class north east.

Well my apologies then :)

You know, I really like how they have implemented hardcore in this game. If your hardcore character dies, he gets moved into the normal mode/league but doesn’t perma die. This means that everyone is encouraged to at least attempt a hardcore toon and then don’t worry about it if they die, whereas the serious players can just reroll fresh as usual.

yeah, the hardcore mode is very well done for that reason.

Is there respec for the passive ability tree? Is there a level cap? I find the setup for the game (the skill gems, the passive skills, etc) to be interesting. Visually, I find it hard to look at. When I’m in a party with someone else and we have summons running around, it’s hard to see where the monsters are. This is much worse when you’re in some dark catacomb and can’t see so far. It just seems all messy and blended together.