Pathfinder: Kingmaker

You might’ve already mentioned this, but be sure to go turn-based combat since you’re new to all this. It really does making the use of abilities like charge so much easier. Also, you don’t have to have your belt full of items during combat; if you find you need a potion, go into your inventory, equip a healing potion on the needed character’s belt, exit out, and then drink the potion.

Certain spells are really useful to have for fights in general: Aid, prayer, haste, attribute boosters such as bull’s strength, cat’s grace, etc. Having a mini-tank character using a reach weapon while enlarged (2nd level spell) is nice, especially if you can trigger attacks of opportunity or cleave hits with them.

You got a new post in while I was typing: read all books, sell jewelry like that ring.

Read the books if you like, but you can sell them.

I haven’t even used “charge” yet as I wasn’t sure how best to utilize it and how useful it was. In fact, I’ve only been using generic attacks and spells so far.

Since I’m a Sylvan Sorcerer, I think I’m supposed to be using this page, but don’t really understand it.

Should I be putting Magic Missile into it and doing something with it?

So, as a sorcerer, you have all the spells always available to use, no memorization.

The right hand of the screen is used for meta magic. So, you could ‘create’ an extended Enlarge Spell, which now lasts twice as long, but take 1 level more.

But, Metamagic is for later levels.

Yup. Don’t worry about assigning spells. All the spells you choose will be all the spells you have. Welcome to the Sorcerer.

Meta-magic is useful at higher levels. Not just for the extra effects but shifting always useful spells to use higher level spell slots so you can stack them up.

Do you still accumulate EXP if you don’t increase your level? I didn’t want to upgrade some of my characters who can level yet until I find my other companions to see what’s complementary.

Yes, but honestly I wouldn’t wait. You need those levels, especially the early ones.

If you have the option for a weapon that is +1 vs. one that is normal, but the normal does more damage. Do you always go for the +1?

Also, is there a way to recharge wands?

Generally the +1 to hit is worth it over a small damage increase IMO. Plus there’s damage reduction to consider.

I don’t believe you can recharge wands in KM.

I see I have a “fight defensively” option on many of my companions. If I turn this off, does it instantly remove that “to hit” penalty? Then I can turn it back on before I attack someone on my next turn? So off-on-off-on constantly?

No, the way it works is that with it on, making an attack (and taking the penalty) gives you one round (six seconds) of the AC buff.

The characters you’re not using. If you don’t use them for a while then go pick them up, do they automatically get brought up to your experience point level? It seems like the game does this but not sure. If that’s the case is there a reason to not swap people out a lot to see how they work for you, or use different people for different scenarios?

Standard difficulty will have all your companions, even those you dont use, gain xp as you do. There is really no reason not to swap out as you feel like it - make the party that works for you!

Awesome. Now that I have 8 companions, I don’t have a clue who I should leave behind. I know I want Linzi but that’s it.

Just go with your gut - There is no need for any kind of insane min-maxing on normal difficulty. You will do just fine with what you choose :-)

Depending on your play style, I tend to make a party that covers off all the skills, with a variety of different attack styles for combat (different weapons, range vs melee, elements, healing, etc). It may not be the most interesting, but I really dislike missing out during skill checks because I don’t have anyone that can manage it.

I’m finally a Baron. What should my building priority be?

Also, why can’t my Bard Lindzi be an Advisor?

Different companions are eligible for different roles and you only have certain advisor roles unlocked at first - Linzi can be an advisor but not one of the first slots you unlock - keep building stuff and playing and eventually you will get more options.

Have a suggestion on what my first building should be?

Buletin Board if you don’t play with the lowest kingdom difficulty.