Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Great video as always Scott…does the game support 1920 x 1200 in the drop down menu?

Since we’re talking real-time D&D 3.5, I guess the best comparison is against Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. So Scott, how does Pathfinder: Kingmaker feel compared to those games?

Thanks, Scott.

What have you seen so far regarding the impact of deities the character worships?

No comparison to Neverwinter Nights 1. Remember it was geared around playing solo with a companion, or playing solo in multiplayer as part of a group. Just a very different set of experiences in both cases. Yeah there were mods that allowed full party play but they were much rarer. And the game simply wasn’t well suited to that sort of thing.

One thing I will say is that at a glance, there’s far more mechanical content here (in terms of feats, spells, etc) than we’ve ever seen in a D&D game before. That’s going to be. . . interesting. . . to say the least. I’m not sure even Pillars 1 will make for a good comparison (it uses the same vancian spell casting system with a sprinkling of per encounter and per day powers; Pathfinder has a good deal of the latter in class powers).

There’s just a lot of shit here.

Another useful note for people unfamiliar with Pathfinder is that Pathfinder classes tend to have more powers baked directly into them. And before we even get into the extended books, splat books, etc Pathfinder baked a little more variety into it’s feats.

Protip: if you are playing in a known-to-be-difficult Pathfinder Society scenario which makes you use pre-sets and you are playing a Paladin and you have very clearly reached the last encounter which is a Succubus Rogue using a spiritual weapon and her Babau demon pet, DO NOT use your last Smite Evil on the fucking Babau. :(

Thanks for the video, Scott - I was likely going to nab this anyway given my love of D&D, but your posts made it a preorder.

Also, although I like the Pillars games like many of you, the discussion above made me realize one of the reasons I much prefer the D&D system – I find buffs/debuffs tedious, and there are so damned many of them in Pillars, supplemented by the food/drink system. It definitely makes thoroughly understanding the attribute/damage type systems a requirement on higher difficulty levels (and potentially preparing specific outfits, etc., getting the right resting bonuses, etc.), but I find that stuff to be largely abstract and tedious busywork.

I think D&D and Dragon Age Origins (and the Divinity games) have less obtuse and more practical combat systems that have a more manageable amount of spells/combat options and they have more evident, rewarding, effects.

On impulse, I preordered this game, because I too like D&D. I prefer turn-based systems, but this still looks fun.

Will we see any die rolls? I assume not, which is too bad – the dice are part of the fun for me.

There’s way more buffs here than Pillars has, and way more sources for bonuses. That’s true in D&D, it’s a d20 fantasy thing I guess.

But yeah the difference is in execution. Everything here in terms of buff/debuff is about making number go up or down, and every roll is just D20 + number. Yeah there’s occasional stuff like “a fatigued Barbarian cannot rage” (I think it might be some other condition that isn’t fatigued but you get the idea). Unlike Pillars, where you roll for the Attack (pretty clear how this works), roll for the type of hit where applicable (not very clear, and this is where “converts grazes to hits” comes into play obviously), roll a damage calculation that appears to be weighted by the nature of the hit, penetration versus some other defensive number, etc.

Although all of this talk makes me said there’s no TB Pathfinder game again. What the fuck did Obsidian do with that project?

Honestly? In terms of the main character, I haven’t - but I haven’t rolled a class that it would matter for, and the religious characters in the party are very much role-playing their worshiped diety, with regards to attitude/personality. I’m not super familiar with the deities in the setting, either.

My pleasure man, thanks for the view! It feeds me like XP to a low health character about to level up.

You can actually see the dice rolls for (almost?) everything in the log. From skill checks to attack rolls and saving throws, hover your cursor over the log and get a breakdown of the resulting roll.

And yes, if you look carefully my light crossbow attack had to hit only AC 11 because the target creature hadn’t gone yet in the initiative order and was considered flat-footed with no DEX bonus to armor class, even in the Real Time setting they simulate that stuff.

Wonderful video, Scott. I don’t really get hyped until Scott Lufkin starts posting YouTube vids on my most anticipated games. Good looking out.

Thanks for the info on die rolls! That’s awesome! I assume we don’t see them on screen in real-time, but that’s probably for the best.

*screen is covered by piles of rolling, tumbling dice and, occasionally, puddles of Mountain Dew*

edit: the Mtn Dew is necessary for wakefulness because playing Pathfinder on the tabletop is terminally boring

But I am legit looking forward to a digital adaptation that handles the crunch for me.

Okay, what the heck is D:OS2? That looks to me like the name of IBM’s technically superior, but poorly accepted command-line interface replacement to DOS.

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yep, me too. I’m partial to D&D 5th edition, myself. But I like the idea of Pathfinder in a computer game.

I would just love a 5th edition, turn-based D&D cRPG. Dammit WotC, get on that shit.

I’ve never understood that. I’ve never been so interested in D&D and the Forgotten Realms lore as I was when playing the BG series. WotC should be begging ompanies like Obisidian to make a D&D game.

Yet they don’t.

Trust me, they’d love to! But the six employees of WotC who handle all product lines outside of Pokémon and Magic: The Gathering are actually forbidden by their contracts from ever “seeking any form of joy or succor from the Neverending Lashes of Torment.”

The lashes are, unfortunately, also mandatory per their contracts.

I think half of those six employees are running campaigns on Twitch or the like.

Meanwhile we get… a clicker game. And some board game conversions.

Oh and an MMO that isn’t D&D.

I had the option to preload, and it got scheduled to download 5 minutes later a couple times, and now it doesn’t have a preload button and nothing scheduled in the download list.

You mean, “An MMO that’s pseudo D&D… 4th edition!”