Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Hmmm, maybe I’m thinking of JA 1.

You are correct. The math just isn’t there.

I reached the point where the entire system collapses onto itself, which is the end of Chapter 4/start of Chapter 5. I had so many Projects that the screen would slow down if I tried to look through them. They were basically all undoable because of BP and time constraints.

The entire system is a neat idea that just plain doesn’t work. The pay offs are… basically nothing in 95% of cases. You have a massive military. This means you can… do military events fairly well. Which means… nothing really. You wont lose because of it? You can’t like put down rebellions or anything. People will Riot in the streets in your Lawful Evil Tyranny because there is no option to oppress them. Apparently it was amazing that Feudalism lasted for like a thousand years because this game says it’s impossible and that everyone lives in 21st Century Europe or something. They can protest in the streets. Hell, they have TIME to protest in the streets in a world where most of them are farmers and manticores are more common than wolves ever were.

@Scotch_Lufkin I think I’m at the spot you were complaining about camping supplies. I hope I’m getting close.

I don’t think I’m going to be able to win Pathfinder with my current save. I don’t think I want to keep banging my head against the wall trying, either.

Just way too buggy, that last level, and confusing with no information on if A) it’s a puzzle I’m missing or B) a bug or script error. Also, because of the issues with the Chapter V ending and transition into Chapter VI I had (a script froze, as if dialog was happening but I wasn’t privy to it, and then when I returned to a very important location later events were re-transpiring as though I hadn’t already completed them - I guess there is supposed to be a ton of dialog after that last fight in chapter V, and I saw none of it), it sounds like I’m in a very broken state where flags and events aren’t going to happen anyway, even if I manage to get through the dungeon I’m in.

I LIKE the dungeon, but holy fuck this feels like an alpha. Tons of crazy bugs (like runing in place while making mysterious fort. saves for no seeming reason, then moving a few inches and repeating, until I finally make it through that area - or how about the rooms, there are two or three, that you can’t walk into - thankfully I have Dimension Door) stuff like that. It’s crazy how buggy this last quest is (I assume once I get the “third key”, which is impossible near as I can tell right now (I was able to get two of the keys), I could fight the final fight and see the ending, but who knows?)

Reading on the forums (Steam and official forums), it sounds like some script bugs that are fixable, but it’s too late for me, I’ve marched along too far. I also lost some of my favorite characters because I was unable to complete their quests, which is a bummer. My last gripe - the enemies in this dungeon are fucking crazy hard, even on STORY MODE I’m barely holding my own, and they RESPAWN FFS

It’s disapointing, for sure. But I don’t really have many regrets - up until the very last dungeon (I think) I had an overall blast and I look forward to playing it from scratch with a new party some day when it’s been polished up a bit and maybe with some of the DLC I have a season pass for. For now, I think I will just uninstall it and put it on the back log. I got 81 hours out of it (91 total, but I put 10 hours in during Alpha/Beta), that’s damned good as 90% of those were amazing. And of the 10% that was frustrating a lot of the issues I did run into I managed to work around, until the endgame stuff.

I’d still recommend it but I would caution waiting to play it until the major quests are working properly, including companion quests. I think they are making great progress on this front, and in a few weeks or a month this will be in much better shape. Time will tell where this lands on the pantheon of epic RPG’s, unless they can fix these issues it will probably never rise as high as it should, I fear.

I’m playing until I reach your state. I’ve already had to skirt around a few semi big bugs.

I think they have a long road to make a POE 2 beater though.

The truth is the kingdom portion is a time synch, and resource synch, its really about doing the minimum to not lose and doing the monthly mandatory busy work. This part was not a good design. No meaningful decisions, lots of load screen waiting, and no real fun to be had in this part of the game. It really hurts a otherwise great game.

It would be worth it if they even just did something as simple as having unique/magic items available for sell in the towns you based on the buildings you place in it. Other perks could be like a farm community generates free rations and has unique recipes (that have unique party buffs) and/or ingredients for sell. Also an excellent way to fix the death of certain equipment types in the game…

the rest I love, and I even love the idea of the kingdom management, but without a retooling of it, its just never going to be a great game overall.

Btw, what is the purpose of the recipes right now? As I understand it, it can generate special buffs for certain characters, but I’m not seeing that on the character sheet (what foods the like), or what effect its having.

When you successfully cook a recipe (most are unique in the boon they grant) everyone will have a little buff icon to the right of the portrait, same as other buffs. Hover over that buff to see what the benefit is for that meal, and if someone has two said buffs, it’s a “favorite” meal and they get an extra boon (and an extra icon).

That said…the default is +1 to saves which is about as good as it gets. More non-choices for ya!

Apparently some of the later recipes have more useful effects though.
https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Recipes

So Scott, how far would you recommend playing before stopping to avoid screwing things up too bad? I guess the other option is to just press on and see if I can make it.

I just killed Vordikai. After what it took to reach him he really wasn’t hard. I’m only level 11, it seems like I should be higher at this point if I’m to hit level 20 by the end.

I would think chapter 4 is safe, but I wouldn’t start chapter 5 yet, that’s where things started going downhill. I think i only really managed to even get through it because I turned the kingdom stuff on auto - sounds like a lot of bugs in there (especially when the game only half believes you wrapped chapter 5 up) cause events that should never happen to start really crumbling your kingdom and a lot of folks are losing due to endless events happening as though they never completed chapter 5. Nasty business.

There may be more content post Chapter 6, but I’m only level 16 as I go into the last dungeon and while thanks to respawning and nasty as balls enemies I’m a mere 200k from level 17, these enemies as bad as they are only give 720xp each, so in theory I could level up to 17… but I don’t think I have enough camping supplies (and I only have more camping supplies because the vendor in this inescapable area finally had 100 to sell, and I bought ALL of them and still went down to the low 40s when I finally gave up).

I think I’ll sit tight then. I did return to my castle after killed the baddie I mentioned above and that kicked off the events for the next chapter, but I didn’t pursue anything. I can always reload until just after I killed the baddie.

I probably wouldn’t even play that much anyway over the next 2 weeks because my father in law is coming today to visit us in France. We will be heading up through the Loire Valley and to Normandy next week. Until then we will be showing him around Grenoble. Damn I love the desserts here.

FWIW I see in today’s hotfix the event that never triggered for me which caused issues in chapter V has been fixed. I’m not sure if ALL my chapter five issues were fixed, but you might be okay. The problem is I see nothing about the nonsense at the end-game dungeon being fixed, and that’s where I bailed. If I see a hotfix address that stuff, I may well dive back in. I re-installed this morning just in case.

Also.

Finally! Only like 10 days late for me. :)

Will need to see it to believe it. Not the first time that’s been in the notes.

Another one is the notes for 1.03, 1.05, and 1.08 state they fixed Bokken’s artisan quest. Yesterday I did it and he still dies on re-entry to Oleg’s trading post.

Just leveled 2 levels (10-12) in one fight.

So there’s a late game encounter that you can bug into earlier - the bottom of Lonely Barrow over in the Kamelands, which has that blue barrier. Apparently later in the game you get a key and a quest to murder monsters to charge it up to open it up. But you can just Dimension Door past it.

Inside is a lich that spams Greater Shout (which by the way is totally bugged - SRD says it should stun for 1 round and deafen for 4d6 [save = only deafen for half], but instead just stuns for 4d6 regardless of saves) and Wail of the Banshee with saves in the 30s. I was fishing for a Baleful Polymorph to land against his 20 fortitude with everyone that could cast it. Took a ton of time and save scumming.

You get ~100K XP for the whole thing. I was a few thousand shy of level 11, so this bumped me all the way to 12. Got a hat of +8 INT/WIS/CHA, Bracer +8, +5 Speed Agile Dueling Sword (+2 stacking damage per hit), +5 Flail (-1 target AC/saves per hit), +4 negative energy spear, +5 greataxe with 10 extra crit damage, +5 2d10 heavy crossbow with 1d10 against big targets. Also +5 amulet of natural armor, +5 studded leather, +5 cloak of resistance. Think I’ll be on cruise for awhile.

The final chapter is just… broken.

Kingdom is also fubar and I’m fairly sure you need the crafting system to make the end game remotely realistic.

AC 47+ dudes abound and you aint hitting them with the Companions using even +4 weapons. Also high end Cold Iron is more than required, but doesn’t exist. So that’s fun. Better carry a +1 dagger from level 4 in case you need to kill a regenerating dude (hint there will be rooms of like 20 of them).

I did warn ye :)

You did, but I was hoping my lack of issues that you had would make it fine. I had no issues on that front, but the invisible walls and enemies are a little more than I can deal with atm.

Also the moron who decided Monks can’t fight ghosts at Paizo makes me hate them with a passion.
RAW is stupid sometimes and having to deal with it non-stop gets annoying quick.

Actually …
https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fo#v5748eaic9sih

Incorporeal Creatures and “Counts as Magic”: Say I have an attack that counts as magical for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction, such as from the monk’s ki pool (magic). Does that mean I can’t harm an incorporeal creature at all, since the attack doesn’t count as magical for that purpose?

Such attacks should also be able to harm incorporeal creatures as if the attack was magic. This will be reflected in future errata.

And yet…

Cause believe me I looked into it when I saw I couldn’t hurt anything incorporeal and the RAW police had things on lock-down. So apparently they never did it?

Edit: I’ll toss it up on their forum where they’ll ignore it, but it’s worth a shot.

I’d encourage you both to try Expeditions: Conquistador. It has many elements of what you want, although not all. Phenomenal game either way.