Pathfinder: Kingmaker

And now I understand how people play those games.

I’m happy I waited for as long as I did to play this(bug fixes, etc), but now that I have started - I really like it!

I plan on streaming a lot of it tonight. My only fear is I keep seeing people saying they get turned off at the kingdom parts. That’s a bummer, because I’m kind of looking forward to them.

Kingdom parts are fine, imo. But I see Owlcat is back to releasing daily hotfixes for the EE. I’d wait a month or so before diving in.

I think their chief issue was the dev team hewing a little close on some tabletop numbers without allowing quite the same level of shenanigans and GM interpretation as the tabletop game.

But in essence, in the original build, the Kingdom Management part was essentially only providing you a way to lose, since the costs were so high, and the random events so tough to get out from under, that you almost never got to really draw a benefit from your Kingdom apart from watching the window dressing graphics update every chapter. You just had to drop all your new resources and capabilities into maintaining things in the next set of required skill-checks to keep from losing the whole game.

From what I understand, they’ve retweaked the skill-check thresholds and BP economy progression a little to make it less dire. I’d love to see them expand the possible benefits down the road. So hopefully it’s gone from “only adds obnoxious challenge” to “at least won’t cause otherwise winning saves to enter fail states” :)

Well they let you use Mercs as advisers now at least, which can stop a lot of fail states.

They’re not great at it for the most part, but they can increase stats and the like and turn out passable.

I’m yet to even play this game because of all the talk about bugs and kingdom failstates. Which is a shame because I’m definitely part of the target demographic. Figure I’ll get it 75% off one of these days.

Dit to the Ohhhh!

I mean, me too.

I have 300 hours in the game and had one Kingdom fail state in my first game when I didn’t know wtf I was doing (I reloaded and lost 15m of doing Kingdom shit). Since then Owlcat has posted a lengthy post explaining how Kingdom management works as well as added tons of QoL features to Kingdom management to endure you don’t miss something.

If you’re the “target demographic” then there is no reason for you to not play this game.

Those things are basically gone at this point.

If you put Kingdom on Easy it’s basically a non-issue these days.

Is there a reason not to put Kingdom on Easy? Not trolling. Serious question.

You like rolling d20s to watch a number go up I guess?

It probably does do things to the ending slides if you don’t get annoyed enough at the game to finish it I suppose.

Not really imo. For the challenge if you enjoy it, I guess. They’ve added a bunch of stuff to make it a lot easier, but few people would call it fun so you might as well put it on easy.

So, I’m jumping back in after playing a few hours when it came out, and I want more options and classes.

Has anyone tried the Call of the Wild Mod?

Also, what is the name of the Turn Based Mod?

I myself wouldn’t really recommend it as battles are full of misses and too long even in real-time for me.

Out of curiosity, were you using the Haste spell? I found that once you get Haste (and a sorcerer to cast it in every encounter) the battles became super quick. So much so that you lose any sense of what is happening, besides your guys flashing around and chopping things into tiny chunks. :D

I’ve used speed up mod that greatly improved things. Out of combat everything is 2x speed and on the world map it’s 4x.

The problem is not just that I have to look at combat happening, it’s that I still have to be involved in trivial combat in a very trivial way with no interesting choices. E.g. you have perks that make people fight better if they attack the same enemy. But if you leave characters alone they attack random targets, do not concentrate their efforts. I have to manually enable mass bless or bard song. With miss rates seem to be around 50% even against trivial foes doing micromanagement like that means a difference between ending fight almost unscathed or almost ruined. Those small micromanagement things are exactly the same for all kinds of enemies and bore me very fast.

Well that shouldn’t remotely be the case. Maybe for a Wizard with their crossbow, but not for most characters.

Well I finally got this game and I’m really loving it for the most part. A couple CTD’s, at least one of which was the game apparently not loving alt-tab, and a weird bug where my log was displaying all information 3 times briefly (it inexplicably stopped as mysteriously as it began), but overall I’m enjoying it. The characters are interesting enough, and I’m at least involved enough in the plot that I might remember it vaguely a year from now. A claim I cannot make about some other entries in this genre.

The difficulty does seem to spike kinda hard at random intervals, but it’s nothing you can’t overcome with a bit of micromanagement and foreknowledge of the enemies.

Were those meta-magic rods actually things in Pathfinder? Because wow, they make spellcasters crazy considering you can carry 5 or 6 of them per character. Probably makes taking any meta-magic feats completely redundant outside of slightly more flexibility in your memorized spells.

Anyways, thanks to the faithful in this thread for finally talking me into it, I’m having a blast.

Oh yes, Meta Magic Rods are in table top game. It’s pretty much a given that you want them.

So this is on sale now. I am thinking about picking it up, assuming most of the bugs are fixed. How is the whole kingdom thing? Is that something you want to put on auto pilot still? Also, what DLC, if any is worth getting? Or should I skip this and wait for the GOTY edition?