Patreon and Q23 switching away from vBulletin

I’ve been kind of away for a while, and this happened! And I just found out yesterday that my email doesn’t quite work anymore (@yahoo.com != @yahoo.ca…it used to be the same many years ago?) I’ve updated it to a different one, and hopefully that new email will carry over to the migration site. If not, then bye bye KaoFloppy! (I do have a really dormant alt account by accident…shhhh…)

Roger that. I mean, you shouldn’t really roger that, in the old nautical sense of the word. That would be weird.

Yes, it will carry over. Tom will give us the final deadline to have our email checked (basically just before they take a copy of the data to migrate) ahead of time.

And should you be unable to log on to the new site, you could email an admin who would fix it for you.

It would be onerous to do manually for hundreds of users though. So everyone should make it a point to check their account and verify that they are happy with the email address associated to their account.

Wendelius

Will the vBulletin forum still be available in read-only status like the “blue” forum after migration? It would be nice to be able to compare the two after migration, especially for the folks working on the CSS changes I would imagine. Would also allow the 4 days of postings to still be around even if they don’t migrate.

Yeah; a post, uh, somewhere “up there” states that’ll be the case.

On one site I was on a while back, when the site had scheduled downtime they would flip it over to what looked a lot like a big chat room (with subchannels for topic specific chat) with a movie viewing window (that was collapsible) so that (registered) users could come in and have what felt like a big party. People would post their favorite youtube clips that would enter the main queue and talk about the things on the videos and just chat about. I might not be presenting it properly but I have to say it was a TON of fun.

Remember, we aren’t taking the site down for that period. It will be up the entire time, with the only caveat being that your posts during those 4 days won’t make it to the new site.

If you want to create a thread to talk about movies, and link to a slack channel or whatever for chat, go for it.

(note: I found this image searching in google images for interrregnum)

Good grief it’s up in the sticky announcement. I need some more coffee.

I was thinking more: Can’t it been done incrementally? I.e. import everything before last week. Then spend 1 day importing and appending the new data.

Better to just do it once and do it right.

Yep, and it’s more time intensive to do it incrementally as well. Given that this is being done for free, I can understand not wanting to make it more difficult.

Plus it starts getting really complicated if posts are deleted or edited, accounts added or changed, or any number of other tracking bits changing state.

A new post in the announcements thread.

Basically, the transition will happen on Friday, July 1st. But the content of the forum will be handed over to the Discourse folks on Monday, June 27th. So everything posted in that gap will only exist on the archived vBulletin forum.

-Tom

During the Steam Summer Sale? D:

Maybe we could postpone till Black Friday.

Will the front page have the same four day period where things won’t transfer over?

Will the Witcher 3 game diary be postponed during this time?

I can’t speak for Tom, but my educated guess is the front page is not related to the migration (yet).

I’m not sure why everyone is concerned that the migration is happening during the Steam sale. The forum is still up, simply any new posts won’t be transferred over. And of all the things that don’t truly need to be saved forever, it would be a limited-time set of posts noting things for sale. Are folks really visiting the sales thread from 2014 that often?

I think we are just concerned that there was no place to talk about the sale. Originally, the current QT3 will be read-only during the migration period but that is not the case now. Whatever deals that was thrown on the bargain thread during the 4 day transition, will be now moved to the archived, just not ported over. Which is fine by me, as you said, Bargain threads is not something people revisit.

Ahhh… that makes more sense. I missed the conversation about it being read-only during the migration. Kudos to folks for keeping it available, despite the inevitable confusion that will plague Discourse for the first week or so with people screaming “where is the post I made June 27th!”.