PDXCON 2019

Wow. As a company, they have totally lost their minds.

They did an email poll a year or so ago asking all kinds of questions about mobile. They obviously got feedback that people wanted this.

I’ll play it.

I would have preferred Stellaris actually on mobile over an MMO/Strategy spin-off. It’s likely to be Free-to-Play although that niche isn’t super crowded. I think Hade’s Star is the most obvious example that was half-decent?

It’s a shame really, because if Civilization can be put on a tablet and iPhone, I’m sure Stellaris can as well, but Paradox’s history with mobile gaming has always been very cautious and largely experimental.

I think it’s safe to say most of us here aren’t really the target demographic for this mobile thing. I’m just glad they announced it via Twitter as opposed to trying to make it a big unveiling at the convention, who also aren’t likely in the target demographic.

I have no interest in it but I don’t think it’s insane to be dipping their toes in the mobile market with a Stellaris-branded game. I don’t really care either way unless it started to detract from their core PC grand strategy games.

I’m glad they are doing mobile and I hope they decide full ports are worth doing at some point. I’d love to play HOI5 and Stellaris 2 on iPad.

I just saw this posted on Reddit. Pretty funny and says it all about the state of the mobile games industry.

Good grief, guys. Well, the good news is they didn’t spend a lot of development time on this?? ;)

That is pretty incredible, someone(s) didn’t check the conversion that well.

Sigh.

Per Paradox, the mobile game wasn’t developed by PDS, it was developed by Gamebear. Paradox offered “guidance” and “suggestions”.

This sums up my reaction to this announcement.

Supercell:
If you only knew the profitability of the Dark Side. QT3 never told you what happened to your father.

Paradox:
He told me enough. He told me you bankrupted him.

Supercell:
No. I am your father.

Paradox:
No. That’s not true. That’s impossible.

Supercell:
Search your feelings you know it to be true.

It looks like a knockoff freemium IAP addicition alliance whalehunt to me from the play store page.

If it was up to me, I’d require anybody working at Paradox to throw out any console they own, and trade in their smartphone for a flip phone. I’m guessing that it maybe a while before I hear back on my CEO application.

It’s been mentioned in the Stellaris thread already, but if you haven’t been following that one…

Yeah to be fair at the time I didn’t know it was simply a Hong Kong-made game that they were bringing out West with a Stellaris skin, so you’re probably spot on with your assumptions.

Fun Fact: This would be the second time (that I know of) Paradox has published an Asian-region game.

It’s an IAP based massively multiplayer strategy game with an alliance mechanic. That can mean only one thing. Nothing to do with it being Hong Kong made.

I didn’t say it was?

There is no shame in wanting a decent mmo strategy game, even on phones, so far it’s mostly been cash grab shit, but here’s to hoping.

We have the time for the Age of Wonders info.

For a second I was wondering if they were stealing Star Wars imagery for the guy in the middle.

Alright you guys, final predictions on what the new internal GSG game announcement will be?

Mine:
CK3 - 50%
Cold War GSG - 25%
Fantasy GSG - 25%
Vic III - 0%
Something Else - 0%

Regarding the Cold War game, read this about the venue for PDX CON this year:

If you look at the artwork for PDXCON, it also looks very 80s to me (not sure if I am starting to read too much into things haha). The other thing that suggests it to me is that they cancelled East vs. West a bit over 5 years ago. Perhaps when they cancelled it they thought “stuff it, let’s start making one ourselves.”

As you can see with something else at 0%, I am very confident it will be one of those three!