Peacemaker (HBO Max)

I was sold on this show as soon as the title sequence started playing.

Interview with James Gunn. A few highlights:

• The actor originally playing Vigilante was replaced after five-and-a-half episodes and James Gunn reshot all the scenes with Vigilante in them.
  • James Gunn thinks episode 8 is the best, followed by episode 6.
  • I can’t quite tell how serious he is, but he claims there are 87 episodes mapped out.

I was worried at first that they were leaning into John Cena being a wrestler-turned-comic-actor thing too hard, but he’s absolutely pulling it off. It’s seriously adult, which surprised me, but the rest of the cast is keeping it grounded to the extent that it can be grounded.

I’m really pleased with the earnest silliness that Gunn is becoming known for. The first three episodes have been plain fun.

So far I’m enjoying this quite a bit more than the more recent Suicide Squad. This feels way closer in tone to something like ‘Super’, which is refreshing.

So, this tells me CG has reached a point where you can make an Eagle and I won’t be able to tell the difference.

Yeah, honestly the only thing about the CGI that suggests the eagle is fake, is simply the fact that I don’t believe you’d be able to train an eagle that well.

That and the actors sticking their face next to a pointy beak.

I don’t know. Eagles are pretty smart

Wow this show is great. I only watched Ep 1 last night but it was excellent. Cena is impressive and shows a range I had no idea he possesses. Not talking opening dance sequence though it was on point :). As his handler said “he has a sadness to him”. I agreed! Can’t wait to watch more and I already can’t picture anyone else playing Peacemaker. Well played Cena, well played.

You mean you can’t see anyone else playing Peacemaker?

Also, is it just me, or having John Cena interact with regular sized humans make it look like he’s CGI?

Just me?

Really? Someone else has seen Super? That is one of my favorite movies ever!

Now I have to see this show.

Yup! ‘Super’ and ‘Slither’ are peak James Gunn for me. He’s moved away from that starting with the first Guardians movie (which is still my favorite MCU thing), but so far this feels more like the cynical return to form that I thought Suicide Squad might be. I suppose that opinion may change depending on how much redemption Peacemaker gets.

Man those really are both excellent movies. Slither is one of my favorites. I need to watch Super again.

I’ve not seen Super and I really should.

Still maintaining its level of excellence. I think this may be the show I’m most eager to watch each week, right now.

I’m really digging the cast dynamic. Everyone just works so well together. And the dialogue is consistently amazing.

I’ve read that Gunn thinks the best episodes are yet to come (the ones after ep 4) so my anticipation level is at an 11, because if they’re better than what we’ve seen so far…

So, you really wanna taste the new episodes?

Yeah, ep 4 was good. I’m going to start recommending it to friends.

The guy playing Vigilante is kind of amazing. I checked his imdb, and while he’s apparently he’s been in a thing or two I’ve seen, I didn’t recognize the roles. I almost didn’t bother with this show, and now I think it’s my favorite thing at the moment.

Robert Patrick in the flashback with a mullet was pretty hilarious as well, especially if you consider that it would have been well before him playing the T-1000.