Per Aspera - MARS , LOGISTICS , TERRAFORMING

I think that if a mission is underway you cannot cancel it. For example, if it’s the migration mission, you have to wait for it to return to Earth. At that time, you can then cancel it by hitting the red x button. But you cannot do that while it’s underway, which is like two years.

It’s annoying because I wish it would notify you that the ship has returned to Earth. If you’re distracted, welcome to another migration cycle.

I was up to 2 in the morning with this one. It’s got its claws in me. But, man, does it have it quirks, too.

Like, why am I always desperately trying to exploit new water deposits when I’m literally creating massive oceans on Mars?!?!?!?!?!?

Speaking of which, I hope you were too tempted by all those rich resource deposits on those flood plains…

You can’t drink salt water, duh.

My original game I ended up in a pretty hosed state. I survived an event which damaged a lot of things, but my maintenance drone count never recovered and fell into disrepair. I have another game going in sandbox mode, and that is going better so far. There seem to be a lot more resources on the normal mode sandbox game I started than the easy campaign game. I was gated by Al for quite a while having 59 structures by the time I found my 2nd deposit. No combat so far, so that seems like maybe it is just part of the campaign. Luckily in the campaign game the deposit that I wanted that was in a flood plain I ended up giving up trying to get to it. That would be a nice shock to have the base wash away.

I seem to be having fun though. About 10 hours yesterday.

They need to put an infinite resources option, or make technology upgrades that extend the lives of mines considerably.

Also, don’t upgrade to level 3 mines. It’s bugged. It costs you a ton to build/upgrade a level 3 mine, but it’s bugged and only extracts as much as a level 2 mine.

About to take our first real hit to the colony. At least it is on the edge.

Edit: Not too bad only lost 4 structures. Wish the maint hub would have survived to help out. :) Oh, wow its drones survived. They are circling the rubble.

@Woolen_Horde

Do you know if uranium is visible before researching Fission Plant?

Edit: It looks like it becomes visible once you complete the research.

Yeah, that’s stupid because it’s uranium. It’s not some weird new exotic element.

Yeah, I almost didn’t research it because I wasn’t seeing anything near me. Just started stage 4, and connected two of my sites. I’m hoping the scanner is correct and there is a chemical rich area to the north of that little base in the lower left. There was a lot of uranium there, so I guess that will be fueling the fission plants. It looks like they don’t need to refueled, but I’m not sure on that.

It looks like the terraforming achievements are only rewarded in a campaign game.

Edit: The meteor strikes haven’t been as damaging as I’d expect. I’ve needed to rebuild a few structures, but most survive and just need repairs.

It took me way too many hours to figure out you could click the individual resources on the bottom bar and bring up a more detailed info tab about the resource. I wish it would give some hint behind what is causing inefficiencies.

I’ve reached a point where it sort of reminds me of TA/Supcom, where you have such a sprawling economy going that you can simply queue up build commands everywhere and hordes of workers will get to it.

Except you don’t run out of resources in TA/Supcom.

I was really digging the mid-game, but the late game is turning into a slog.

I finally had some time to play, I am just about to get colonists to land!

I would normally agree, but it seems the overall point of the game is to force you to spread out across Mars. The depleting resources seems to be the main driver of that.

-Tom

Presumably that same sprawl, however, leads to the slog effect @Woolen_Horde mentioned? It’s a pretty serious game design challenge to make managing something huge and sprawling, err, manageable.

Well, knowing what I know now, you need to exploit the hell out of the flood plains of Mars before you lose access to it and all those resources as soon you flood the planet. You lose like 40% of the planet. Save the resources on higher ground for the late game.

I actually think the game does a good job of being manageable even in the later-game sprawl. For instance, the building manager is pretty powerful and flexible. Anyone trying to play without discovering it is going to have a really hard time. Also, lots of good information available with the different view filters. Per Aspera is super explicit about which resources are where and how they’re being used and how many you need. Not quite on the level of The Colonists, which I think is one of the best resource/logistics games in terms of giving you the tools to explicitly manage everything. But close!

-Tom

Well you just bumped The Colonists further up my wishlist, that’s for sure, and this is encouraging about Per Aspera. This thread certainly makes it sound like it could use some time to bake, but it sure sounds like something I’ll enjoy when/if it’s tuned up.

When you say building manager are you talking about the place where you can control the percentage of the resource allocated to different production types?

Nope, that’s a function of each resource’s screen. If you click on the stats along the left side of the screen, you’ll find a ton of additional functionality when you click on the number for your building limit. A sortable list of buildings where you can toggle them on and off, upgrade them, compare their efficiency, and find them on the map. Enjoy!

-Tom

I’m not the brightest AI in the bunch. Probably only 8-bit

Same here and I have developed a memory leak.