Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

OK, that’s better then.

The season pass stuff seems to be all titled and described and everything, long before the game is actually out (though I’m not sure when it comes out, really). Makes you wonder how much of the game that releases is just what’s left after they’ve pared off the stuff they want to sell for extra.

Another game I regret kickstarting, but at least this one I was able to get my money back. I have yet to be happy with the outcome of the 4 games I have supported.

I’m fine with DLC, but would a prefer a “if this sells well, we could expand it” type thing. Not this planned rollout for a game they have repeatedly delayed after disappointing previews.

When are the 3 announced DLCs being released? Is it a vague ‘next 6 months after release’ thing?

From the email:

“…we expect the first DLC, Blood and Titanium , to release in early 2020. Other DLCs (5 total, including Blood and Titanium ) will be released at intervals from there, over the course of 2020.“

Now you are making me regret buying this on Epic Store… DLC milking basically removed Paradox games from my buy list…

Not sure if it’s milking, or splitting the game up because they’re struggling to finish it! Or both.

Yeah.

The DLC is cheap though, 3 for $10, 2 for $5. You can save $10 with season pass as well.

Normally in a case like this, it’s because the art and design team is done and they are moving onto more work to keep busy - in this case getting a leg up on post-release content that couldn’t make it into the game before the code freeze, while the coding team works on bugs/polish for release. I can’t say for sure this is the case here, but I imagine it is.

The first $5 one sure. Not the other 4 spread out over a year.

What? That doesn’t even make sense. How can you agree with me on the first one, the closest one to release, but not the others? What am I missing here? Those would be the ones they haven’t even started work on yet, except maybe some conceptualizing and setting down a time table. Did they even announce what was even going to be in those farther out DLC?

Because the artist and designers can do a some art/design for the DLC, but all the DLC is going to take the full team to develop, balance, etc. 5 DLC is going to be a lot of work for a a 1 year release cycle.

Edit: I was thinking the first one is $5, so it’s probably cosmetic.

If it’s Paradox then it’s definitely milking. I had a look at Cities Skylines the other day, thinking I could buy the missing dlcs and give it another spin, only to realize once I hit the store page that it has 110€ worth of dlcs. Take a wild guess who published it.

Well… that is how you treat a cash cow.

As feared, it’s not cosmetic. I’ll see if I can get a refund. There’s more than enough indie games available for me to vote with my wallet.

Unlike Paradox, which seem like they plan their DLC as they go to see where change is needed, this feels like a game that isn’t finished at launch.

What exactly do you find disappointing in the previews? I don’t get that feel at all from what I have seen, not in the least.

Or maybe none of that!