Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

You dont have to aim every time. It automatically points at the enemy and you can opt to aim manually.

The season pass is free to backers.

Without manual aiming, do you still hit limbs, heads, etc? Or are all shots just hitting “center mass” without it?

I believe it centers on what is visible. However, it’s an area the bullets land in, so crits are possible

This is excellent. I watched a video from a while back that outlined some of the things people are excited for, and the central and outer radius on aiming and firing were pretty interesting stuff, so it’s good to know that exists even if you don’t manually steer.

I was out earlier and on my phone. I decided to grab a few screens from the latest backer build to illustrate my point

I’m pretty far away from my target at this point, so my standard rifle doesn’t have a great chance to hit. As you can see, there’s a few circles surrounding the area that shows where bullets can and will hit. As mentioned, that’s a standard soldier who doesn’t have a great weapon skill/coupled with the type of weapon that has a rather wide fire area.

See, when you choose to fire and a target, it comes up with the choice to just fire or you click on the target reticle to aim manually.

Now, from much closer we have a lot more options for the attack.

If we contrast that with the sniper, we can see a big difference in the accuracy.

In this situation, even a somewhat sub-optimal roll is going to give us decent damage. I fired and hit them in the upper chest/head.

There’s an info screen for your enemies to see what armor they have and the different HP for each body part.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify what I was saying earlier and maybe make the game make a bit more sense. I, personally, think it’s going to be a blast from what I’ve messed with in the Backer Betas.

All this discussion about aiming/not aiming sounds great, and it appears it’s handled in a reasonable way so I’m no longer worried about that!

There’s no deal on this right now, is there?

I assumed it would be at least $10 off for an Epic Thanksgiving sale. I’d love to pick it up, but my present strategy is to bundle in DLC cost, and I don’t think I can justify $70 for it.

Might be time to finally exert some discipline and play through that backlog.

I think it’s going to gamepass. Have you done the $1 for a month deal yet?

Yep, I’d also suggest getting it via gamepass now for a $1 or so, then pick up the complete version on Steam next year.

Okay, I have to figure out this Gamepass thing. I don’t have an Xbox, but there is a version you can get just for Windows, right?

Yep!

You will need the BETA app from the windows store, and make sure you have the most recent version of Windows.

Just started watching this:

I like a lot of what I’m seeing here, but … I still don’t know about this free aiming stuff, and it seems to be a lot more required than I was hoping. I took a few notes for the first 15 minutes of the video, my thoughts on what I was seeing, but that’s as far as I got and now I have to take off so I’ll post what I can now.

Since movement is based on how many tiles you can traverse per action point based on a stat (speed, I think he said), you can actually move one tile at a time if you want, unlike XCOM where you have to dedicate where you move to (and that frequently makes me want to reload when I run a guy up and activate two pods at once).

Related - Units stop moving they spot an enemy - this is fantastic. I’m also finding I apprecaite that enemies don’t get a free “move to cover” action when spotted, not so far at least, and they don’t seem to be in “pods”.

Drawing lines to targets based on where your cursor is at is a great way to show where you can shoot and whom from which position without comitting to anything. XCOM 2 has this with the red (or yellow) cross hair cursors over the enemy names, but this seems much easier to see - I was frequently using a long tactical zoom out to get this information in XCOM 2.

Each shot is a simulated bullet.

Free Aim is the only way to take shots from when you are behind cover, at least in the instance in the tutorial (about 13 min in). I don’t really want to HAVE to use free-aim, this was on of my earlier concerns about the game. Ah well. Also, free aim seems required for certain types of enemies, such as those with shields.

All of this sounds positive. Thanks Scott.

All those improvements over XCOM sounds good

I got mine too. It unlocks like 40 things.

Well, in the video if you wanted to be behind full cover you had to free aim to make your soldier pop out of cover to shoot. That’s what the tool-tip said anyway?

Yeah, it really looks slick. I’m not opposed to it mechanically, I just sort of wish it was more automated/simulated, at least from what little gameplay I’ve seen. Maybe playing the game I’ll change my tune.

I do hope there is an option to keep the camera up in isometric view during attacks? I just think games like this look better from a “board game” perspective. Free Aim makes this point driven home a little harder, as zooming in on 3D models, even nice looking ones, is never a great idea.

I think some people agonizing over having to aim all the shoots are missing the point. The point I refer is that surely after a few hours of gameplay, the player will get accustomed to it and even be super proficient with it, he will aim and fire to the fleshy part in an almost autonomous reflex-kind of way. It’s just point and click. The UI seems to be well designed and the action will flow well, you will lose less than 1 second doing it.

No preload key for me yet, hopefully I get it before December 3rd.

Edit: Dagnabbit, it was in my junk mail folder.

Edit2: thinking about this more, I actually paid $20 to get the full game plus all future DLC. Game itself more than originally promised. Very happy with this and the deal with epic, so jog on all you naysayers! :p

‘Sorry, you do not have a prerequisite to fulfill the redemption code.’
Anyone else have trouble putting in their code?

Are you trying to redeem the Season Pass key (assuming you’ve received it already; I haven’t) before the base game key?