Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

There’s still no firm date for the PC gamepass version? It doesn’t show up at all in the Xbox app yet.

I am trying to use my promo code for the Season Pass but there is no pre-order button allowing me to place the promo code. Has anyone else used their code successfully?

Does it allow you to use it in the place where you redeem a code, which is a menu option when you click your name in the lower left?

The promo code is on their website, not Epics I believe.

@Jason_McMaster

That worked I was able to use the promo on their website. I was sent the receipt but not the actual code yet - maybe they send it when the game launches though I would have thought I would have gotten it a moment or two after the receipt.

@vyshka

Hitting your name lower left hand corner - is where you place an Epic Game Code (not the promo apparently). I do thank you for pointing that out because I am assuming once I am sent the Season Pass Code that is the location to enter it.

Wait, so is this now available? Are there any playthroughs on YouTube (or other places)?

Available this coming Wednesday.

I think it’s Tuesday? 12/3 it says on the EPIC store, at least.

Yes Tuesday. For some reason I had wednesday as the 3rd in my head.

I finished watching the video I linked earlier, and I (mostly) really, really liked what I saw. I’m okay on manual aiming, it sounds like it’s not a big deal and something maybe I’ll really appreciate once I have the game under my fingers. I’m less enthused about having to anticipate direction with over-watch by setting a cone - I think here XCOM does it more wisely with letting anything in visual range be targeted by an over-watch action instead of making me choose the length, width, overall shape of the cone. Since you can use the mouse-wheel to make it really big, I guess I don’t quite understand the value of the default shape, or especially of making it very narrow? Can someone explain that, hopefully?

I’m in good shape - I can’t pick this up for a few weeks until I get paid, because I just got Star Wars Jedi - but since I did just get that, I can enjoy it for a few weeks while this gets maybe an early patch or two (hopefully nothing critical) and I can read impressions in the meanwhile.

Ahhh, okay. I was thinking people were talking about getting it early for being backers or something.

I kept thinking 12/3 was a Wednesday as well.

I haven’t played it yet, but I suspect the argument for the overwatch setup is that it gives you more fine-grained control over which soldier responds to exactly what threat & where. In theory you could use it to setup more complex bounding overwatch strategies if you had patience and enough team members for a given map.

Regarding the linked videos:

I thought they looked very good overall and I was intrigued by (mostly) two things: (1) the addition of human factions and flexible interactions w them. Seems to bring in some of the more successful parts of X-Com Apocalypse (2) the theoretical (haven’t seen it confirmed in action) procedural generation and evolution of the “aliens” could be literally game-changing and different for every person and play-through. (3) OK. Three. I meant three things! The modern X-Com successors streamline & refine aspects that were, in retrospect or to modern eyes, a little rough in the original. Much of the interesting differences in the new ones are, consequently, in the areas where they choose to expand over the original instead. We likely won’t know if things like more detailed overwatch or VATS-like limb incapacitation in Phoenix Point are actually good choices for expansion until we’ve had a chance to play for a while. Maybe they become essential aspects of future X-Com like games. Or maybe we collectively decide that they added pointless and uninteresting choices. See the history of Civilization games for examples of both :-)

BUT there are some obvious risks that make me a bit suspicious pending reviews next week. (1) The procedural-generation and faction features mentioned above are HARD to do and in most games procedural-generation ends up turning into meaningless randomization or unbalanced disasters (2) I super-respect Julian Gallop (the first two original X-Coms are some of my favorite game moments in life), but X-Com Apocalypse is also a prime example of ambition beyond means & how not to do a sequel (3) I fall a bit on the side of the paid DLC having features that really should be in the original. No air interception & battles in the game launching next week, for example. This wasn’t a major component of the original, but IMO it added nice flavor & variety that will be missed. (3) The videos look like they are REALLY early in the game. We can’t tell how well the game develops, and that’s critically important. Can’t tell what the tech tree progression does to change things up. Can’t tell whether managing additional bases / teams / etc is well managed or turns into spreadsheet micro-management hell. Can’t tell if & how aliens actually change and how that (re)balances the game (4) As a veteran, the videos make the game seem ABSURDLY easy. I don’t think I saw a Phoenix Point soldier die. We all know that the first missions of any X-Com game (where you have zero tech and ability compared to the aliens) are brutal meat-grinders that mercilessly kill your soldiers!

In any case I’m looking forward to reviews next week! Anybody know when the review embargo lifts?

Diego
[ninja-edited the most horrifying grammatical mistakes]

I can address a couple bits at least.

The I think the random maps look good and they are using the patented “parcel” system which is tiny pre-scripted little map bits that fit into plots which then fill out the map, pretty much like they did maps in the Firaxis X-COM.

I’m sure the dev doing the demo made it look easy as I doubt he was playing at a higher difficulty, he likely has a LOT of experience with the game, and I think he even mentioned that your soldiers COULDN’T be killed in the early tutorial missions. I also think 1 of this game’s big hooks is how the aliens will adapt/evolve to counter your tactics. While this could be a lot of smoke and mirrors, it might mean that not only will the difficulty ramp as the game goes on, but that they’ll even take steps to adapt to your play style.

While I think I like their detailed free aiming with hit locations, there is 1 aspect I’m not clear how the game will handle. Since everything seems so frozen in place when your character is taking their shot, how will this game simulate stuff like a fast moving/dodging target?

Part 2 of the official walk-through was posted today, covering the Geoscape tutorial and some general gameplay as the action starts to heat up.

This makes sense to me - and is further realized in this latest video when he shortens the length of the cone forcing his overwatch soldiers to wait until the enemy is closer to improve chance to hit before firing. Very clever, and now I’m quite on board with the implications of this overwatch system.

I see that Tom teased the game in his Twitter feed. No hints on how he feels about the game of course :-)

Diego

Ohh, that does sound great. I am playing XCOM 2 currently and it’s driving me nuts having 4 guys shoot on over watch at the greatest possible distance and missing, while the mob closes in to melee range.

Hopping back in here on the eve of release: They’re still planning on giving a GOG (or Steam) key out to backers in addition to the Epic key, right? After the year of exclusivity is up? I’ll still get my GOG version even if I redeem the Epic key?

Yeah, if you’ve played Frozen Synapse 2 you’ll realise just how handy the ‘focus diamond’ is in making sure your dudes focus on the right enemies at the right time. I loved Frozen Synapse 2 but found the city layer stuff too finicky long-term so I’m hoping that Phoenix Point scratches the itch right between it and UFO: Enemy Unknown. Looking forward to trying it out and find myself getting more excited closer to release.

Yes, I also emailed then when I got an email about my Epic Key and they said i would be getting a Steam key also in a year.