Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Awesome, return fire needed some work

Nice! Although Return Fire still seems a bit OP, at least now agents and creatures can’t return fire when not even the target of an attack.

Started a new game. Playing for a while and I have had one ambush. Before, by now, there would have been several. Especially, it seemed, in red mist.

Finally popped up on XBox Game Pass.

Nice! Now I’ve just got to get around to playing Bards Tale IV and this on game pass before my three month subscription runs out

Blech. Just before going away for Christmas. GamePass terrible!

Awesome. I can still get three months for $1. This game is worth it.

Man, between Epic’s free games and their $10 off coupon and stuff like this, it’s possible to game and spend next to nothing.

The patches seem to have fixed my CTD issues at least!

What is the easiest difficulty where new recruits don’t show up fully equipped, veteran or hero? The levels are Rookie, Veteran, Hero, Legend.

I’m playing on Hero and new recruits only come with armor, no weapons.

OK, thanks. Hero it is.

What’s the final consensus on this as it stands now. Is there good reason to play it instead of just doing a replay of XCom 2 with the expansion?

I’ve barely played so I can’t answer that other than I really like the experience of playing something new. XCom 2 is so heavily story driven I played it once and I never really had the urge to go back now that I know what to expect. Maybe with The Long War to shake it up.

Phoenix Point and Hero doesn’t mess around. My first real mission to go get some creates resulted in all but one getting destroyed and I lost two soldiers. I don’t even see how I could have killed the mutants faster to save those crates.

Exactly the same experience tonight for me. Funny. I just quit. It was too depressing. I bought Fantasy General 2 instead…

I enjoyed it even though it didn’t go well so I’ll press on and see how it goes.

This is a tough question. I spent a ~million hours playing XCOM 2:WOTC. I have played all of the Xcomish games except for Terror and the obvious clunkers.

I love and hate PP. I love that it’s so very like Apocalypse. I hate that it needs so much work. I will play it and play it until my frustration grow too great. Then I will come back again, when it is fixed a bit.

Shouldn’t I be able to recruit the soldier? I have the resources and I only have 3 soldiers in my ship with a capacity of 6. I also have living space at my base.

I’ve been playing PP and it is ok. Really enjoyed a single play-through of X-COM 2, but these aren’t my normal go-to genre.

That being said - PP just made me want to go back to X-COM2. The itch is scratched better there.

Free-aim is basically mandatory, which gets tedious - and there are just lots of areas that aren’t polished.

Ammo management, for example, is really obnoxious in this game. Sometimes I guess I run out of ammo, and have to manufacture more, which is instantaneous. But then I have to juggle the ammo and weapon in the inventory just to get it to reload outside of a mission.

Some of the missions are just setup dumb. Many of the haven defense missions have you protecting a piece of equipment… but usually with how the mission is setup you have to YOLO rush just to have a chance of saving it. It isn’t tactically satisfying. Same things happens with some of the resource missions, where the crate and the aliens spawn right next to each other.

But I’ve also had the opposite happen, where the alien group spawn right next to your starting position - so you can wipe them out almost immediately.

Still other missions have you tasked with destroying some equipment or evacuating civilizations or your squad. Well, I often destroy the enemy force and then I have to painfully move my squad all over the map trying to bash away at the equipment, even though the mission is functionally over. Or slowly run civvies to the evac zone, even though there are no enemies. Just a brutal time-waster there.

Doesn’t help that I was soft-locked after I panicked a siren towards the end of a long battle… not great having to alt-f4 out.

It isn’t a bad game - and I can’t remember back far enough to know if some of these issues are present in X-COM2… but while I enjoyed my time with PP today, it became tedious. I’m thankful that I got this on gamepass and didn’t have to spend cash on it… because now I’m re-installing X-COM2

I’ve put about 3 hours into this and enjoying it so far. Assault class seems crappy initially. Heavy and snipers a lot more useful, especially when you cross train them with assault for return fire. Speaking of which, I did my first return fire with my heavy, cleared out the level, then the game crashed, booooooo!

That’s interesting… I’ve found the heavies practically useless and conversely really enjoyed assault. Dash is great for positioning