Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

Heavies one shot most things and if you upgrade bash you can jet next to an enemy and smash it’s face.

I like my Assaults too as my heavies can’t hit the broad side of a starship. How do you fix that? Multi-class?

Yes, multi-class with sniper. Every piece of the initial sniper armour gives +10% accuracy.

So, I played XCOM2 for a long time yesterday, and the comparison is night and day. I recognize Xcom has years of patches and DLC, but it is just better in everyway compared to PP.

Part of my problem is that PP so, so closely resembles Xcom that as a casual player of the genre, I couldn’t tell the difference. The differences that do exist turn PP into a slog, as compared to the much tighter Xcom experience. The whole thing made me wonder why PP was even made, and why I would play it over Xcom. Why did they make a game that so closely copies the gameplay and architecture of something as good as Xcom? The story is essentially the same, the strategic layer is essentially the same, the tactical battles are essentially the same… But everything is a pale imitation.

I would have liked to see a different world. Why not a new take on Jagged Alliance? What about being CIA teams trying to stabilize or destabilize governments all over the globe? What about a squad based Vietnam game? Or any number of new worlds and environments to explore which could introduce new, fresh and unique mechanics.

I can say that after booting up Xcom, I don’t expect to play PP again.

Good, more Phoenix Point for the rest of us.

Those are completely valid opinions and explain much of the reason why the Firaxis XCOMs were made the way they were in the first place. Polishing the edges. Getting rid of the micro-management. Removing the sometimes-tedious results of randomized gameplay elements etc.

But OTOH some of us miss the occasionally-also-brilliant aspects of randomization. The less (so-far) on-rails campaign progression. The lack of constant timed missions. The return of factions & related complexity, etc.

There’s no doubt that PP needs patching & balancing, though!

Diego

Most definitely. I feel that once it gets a few patches and some rebalancing it will rank with pre-DLC XCOM 2.

I can understand that, and playing WOTC right now and you’re right that the bombardment of time-sensitive tasks is… intense.

And I apologize for the harsh tone of my previous post. I should have used a softer message to convey my opinion. Of course, my opinions are my own and I’m genuinely happy for those folks who are enjoying and connecting with PP. I just wanted to share my experience.

So I’m thinking of splurging on a game and this is on the list of potentials thanks to Epic’s coupon. My only hesitation is the high cost of the DLC ($20 more to get “deluxe” and then another $20 if I wanted to get the season pass right away or else $30 down the line).

For those with all the goodies, are they worthwhile or is it best to wait for a proper sale?

AFAIK DLC hasn’t even been programmed yet. Let’s wait to see if they can fix the balance and bugs first.

Ah, you’re right; I saw the first three for sale and made a silly assumption, lol. Alright, then - wait for a sale/patching it is!

Or you can buy Microsoft gamepass for a month and try it out for just a few bucks.

The Three Moves Ahead podcast guys liked it, but weren’t overwhelmed by it. Defiantly sounds like a game to let sit so they can fix the bugs and finish it.

Been a busy few days, but itching to play it again. The game has a LOT of depth, it certainly lacks the polish of XCOM 2 and streamlined nature, but the random destructable maps with the occasional exploding content is something i cannot overstate how captivating it is to immerse yourself in. I also love the strategic map depth, and always something to do. The game i’ve noticed has 3 evolution’s, where you think you have it figured it out, and the situation changes, and you hit a curve that can overwhelm you if you fail to adapt to the new challenges.

Curious what is everyone favorite builds for owning the battlespace?

Sniper/heavy is hands down my fav! Sniper with rage burst can take down the mini bosses no issue! Its insanely effective through the whole game and allowed me to experiment with the other combos. It also wonderful for capturing aliens once you get the arms tech

My next favorite was a heavy with Boom Blast, Allowing you to launch 2 grenades a turn and once you get access to the New Jerico Missle launcher which allows you to fire 1 missile and 2 grenades a turn with Boom Blast! The sniper set is also good here with weakspot against a damaged enemy at least until you get access to the beserker skilset Armor break which is my 2nd favorite combo Skilset with its ability to shred the late game insane armor from afar!

I’m playing for the first time since the big patch, and I have an odd issue. I’ve started ten games now, and each one has produced all male soldiers. Not a single female. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, I saw this too, all are males now, both your starting soldiers and the hired ones. Seems an easy fix after the holidays.

In the last mission, noticed a few bugs, mostly annoying ones, but just ran into a turn hangs during enemy movement had to shutdown and restart…sigh.

Fav classes so far.
Sniper with rage fire
Heavy w/ Jericho AOE kitted
Assault w/ shotgun
infiltrator.with spider gun.

Least useful classes
Vehicles
Melee weapons all classes
Technician
Berserker

Avoiding spoilers but last mission lets you take 9 soldiers, you’ll need them!

Ok finally finished! Had a few more enemy turn hangs and glitches with the mouse causing me to fire into the ground lol.

I was really surprised that the theme went where it did. I mean it seemed it was doing a homage to it, but it went full on instead of a homage (trying to be vague in respect of spoilers).

I did not get how to activate the different factions end stories…wait till they fix the bugs and read about how to trigger the ingame choices before i play again. Once patched could be my fav xcom game.

Thanks for your thoughts! I backed Phoenix Point but I’m going to hold off for a while. Got enough to keep me occupied in the meantime!

So it seems that the strategy du jour is:

Do not do scavenger missions.

Create several training rooms in your first base.

Keep your guys at the base as long as possible. Only doing missions for various havens to get on their good side.

Once all your guys are 7…

Finish game.

So… it needs work. And the devs seem to be on an extended Christmas vacation. I really want to see this game when it’s finished. There is so much good stuff.

SIGH.