Phoenix Point - new Julian Gollop turn-based strategy game

On my first game, things are not looking good for Earth :/

I’ve found about 6 bases but can never find them in the Geoscape or remember which is which. Is there some way to get from the Bases screen to that base’s location on the Geoscape…? Seems like I must be missing something.

Are the video modes in the settings for everyone else set at 0 Hz for refresh rate?

And I am still playing it that way. I bitch and moan about the problems with the game, and there are many.

But I play it every day. Get all my guys to 7. Hit a wall and start over. The parts I enjoy outweigh the parts I don’t. I think I’m in some weird abusive relationship here. :)

How do you keep track of where each of your bases is :(

Um… I try to remember. But usually my first base is my main base. Once I get two Manticores I use the crews in them for everything. I understand that this is contrary to the way the game is meant to be played. But the game is broken. Why can’t I group my Manticores together, instead of having to click on each one to move them? Why do some weapons not reload unless you put them in storage and take them out? Why are heavies blind and crosseyed until I cross train them as snipers and give them a better helmet?

That’s Phoenix Point man, doesn’t cut it.

Still I play. I continue to play. :)

I’m happy to start over from what I feel is my doomed first attempt but there hasn’t been any real fail state yet. It seems like I have to wait for ages for the entire earth to be subsumed while I scrabble to recruit a few low level redshirts then watch them die on their first mission. A nice ‘You’ll never recover - game over’ screen would give me some sense of closure and I could start the next attempt happy. Now I feel obliged to hang in there… but that’s no fun so I put the game down :/

Edit! I forgot you can speed up time, so I was able to run out the clock and there didn’t seem to be any events to spoil. So on to attempt 2 shortly :) Unless AOW is the next planet that requires a firm yet loving hand…

I have found this to be true.

They’re dead. They’re all dead :(

Attempt two comes to a desperate end. You guys are going to have to get used to the tender squelch of tentacle. Sorry.

I managed to take down a lair and a citadel this time but I need to up my diplomacy game.

I’LL BE BACK.

I’ve run out of plot :/

I’ve researched everything I was supposed to research, been everywhere… I did skip one Symes mission as I found where to go from the first one… but otherwise everything’s done, the ODI is at 92% and I don’t know what to do now :/

Blech. The clock ran down and I never found out what I was supposed to be doing next. I think that was attempt 4.

I’ll be putting this down now. I’m not convinced the strategy layer adds up to anything, and the tactical side is repetitive, given there seems to be one obvious approach there. It’s due for patching alongside the first DLC but I don’t know if I’ll bother. When the optimal strategy of your alien-fighting game appears to be to avoid fighting aliens, I don’t think that’s ideal.

• Blood and Titanium DLC releases in 1 week (March 4), along with update for base game
  • DLC and update each contain a new sub-faction
  • Various shortcomings of the game are addressed by the dev in the video

This is really a game I will wait until it’s on Steam, when all dlcs are released and it’s all properly updated.

I did not do that, and I kind of wish I had.

I couldnt wait…and mostly glad of it. :)

I cant wait to play it again when the expansion lands on the 4th :)

I see leveling up now just gets you 20 pts to spend, but you also get 10 per mission. Alien evolution is more time based and less based on the number of missions done too.

Edit: As of tomorrow anyway :)

Ahhh, so impatient to start a new game :)

Am I the only one that finds the new stuff too fiddly?

Im very much looking forward to the bionics! I have a feeling I’m going to be making my people all bionic. I like the addition of the two new factions. The rest of the play changes…Im not sure about till i try it

I feel like the unpatched version was amazing finding all those overpowered combos. I kept discovering new ones till the end of the game. I will always have fond memories of that, and try to look at this new play through as a reboot lol