Picard show confirmed

I mean, there’s just been a whole thread of it. Non-carrier naval vessels haven’t historically gotten monotonically bigger. Bigger isn’t always better, smaller is often more efficient and if anything technology as often as not presses the other direction size-wise.

I’m not sure why you seem to be taking a silly discussion about imaginary spaceships personally (hopefully I’m just badly misreading your tone here?) but this is supposed to be fun and you don’t seem to be having any.

I actually do, but I confess that for some reason I wasn’t expecting a discussion of this there. Thanks for posting. I’m still really curious about what got moved where there, I guess I’ll have to wait for a new edition of the technical manual.

It does depend on your starting point though, doesn’t it? The Iron Clad is much smaller than a modern day Battleship.

The Galleon is much big than a bronze age Tireme.

Tanks of today are far larger than the tanks of World War 1.

We are talking about 200 years of development, give or take.

Interesting link on ships of the line.

You can’t really compare (real world) ships from different eras to each other. The appearance of steel warships made old classifications largely irrelevant, then missiles did it again a century later. A modern day destroyer has nothing in common with a WWII destroyer other than being a warship.

In this case, I think you can. At least from the Enterprise period to the Original series.

Shields came into play. Transporters became more developed. Tractor Beam and Phaser Banks.

A lot of different, some fundamental, changes occured. It went from an Iron Clad to a Full Battleship.

Cool video about just Phasers. If you care.

200 years.

Well in Star Trek it’s all arbitrary space magic. Guess what, the latest generation of warp engines are entirely computer controlled and only requires an oil refill once a year, so we can have an Enterprise H with a crew of 12 if that’s what the writers want.

Or no crew what so ever!

Such a ridiculously great moment, though anyone that hasn’t seen season 3 of Lower Decks should NOT watch that video.

Yup, and @Editer found the canon space magic explanation I was looking for. The lesson is, always check Memory Alpha first.

Hopefully Lower Decks will eventually get to fill in all the missing years between post TNG and Star Trek: Picard.

I agree! I hope that Paramount is getting good feedback on this third season and gives this showrunner a chance to keep going in this timeline.

At the very least give him a Titan show, with Seven as captain.

I’d watch that. Hell, I’d sub P+ specifically to watch that.

Oh hey

Right?!

OH that is a lovely thread, thank you.

Vadic gets to shine this week. I really enjoyed it.

The music was top notch in this episode. My favorite was a scene between Jack and Picard where there’s a high violin as the main note, but underneath it there’s a lower note of menace that’s really low, but high enough that you can hear it. I couldn’t tell if it was a string instrument or a horn, but it felt unsettling. Just really great beats like that throughout the episode.

I can’t help but be hopeful that a Changling enemy this season encourages more people to go back and discover Deep Space Nine over the long run.

Can we talk about how utterly SHIT Picard and Crusher are at using phasers? Holy cow. They missed a dozen times at literally point blank range.

I mean, come on, they’re both really old. Or simulated old, in the case of Picard’s gollum.

Even in the far flung future, cataracts are a bitch.

Little known Star Wars aside: all storm troopers are secretly in their 80’s.

First they make me despise Shaw, then love him and want him to have his own series.

Now they had me writing off Vadic as a two-dimensional, scenery-chewing villain along the lines of Shinzon, only to make me empathize with her reasons if not her methods.

So much wasted potential in seasons 1 or 2. Season 3 has me staying up too late on Wednesdays to catch it the moment it goes live.

That episode was fun, but it was mostly wheel spinning, likely in prep of the final act, which I’m mostly fine with.

While I enjoyed it, there were primarily two things that bugged me:

1. No mention of Lal at all when talking about the new multi-personality golem this week. WTF? Why bring Lal up one week and erase her the next?
  2. I actually yelled, “Come on!” when both Picard and Crusher were shooting, POINT BLANK, at Vadic and she still got away. WTF again.

Still mostly had fun, and I am really hoping that Troi doesn’t end up being a potted plant in the end, but we’ll see.