Pike, Spock and Number One will return to explore 'Strange New Worlds'

So excited for this. Pike, Spock, and Number One were all great. I’ve enjoyed Discovery, but I’m here for some optimistic, episodic Trek.

The design of the Enterprise is the best version since the A refit. It’s beautiful. I need a display model for my desk.

Even the uniforms are fantastic, though I wish they’d fix that weird collar which looks like it’d be digging into your neck. Judging by the pic, Number One apparently complained and got a more comfortable tunic.

Is it best if I watch the Discovery episodes with Pike and Spock and all the rest before I watch the new series? I feel like I need to sign back up with CBS, at least for a while, so I can watch this new series.

I’d say yes, if only to get accustomed to the characters again, as potrayed by these new actors.

I’m still not totally sold on the actor who plays Spock, it’s hard to fill Leonard Nimoy’s shoes.

Impossible, really, to the point where I’m kind of choosing not to get hung up on it despite being kind of bothered by it myself (though I like this one better than Quinto, so that’s something at least). Pike and #1 are outstandingly well cast, though. I’ve had a very tumultuous relationship with Discovery but I’m looking forward to this.

Tbh the scenes with Pike are the best scenes in Discovery by a pretty wide margin, so it’s worth slogging through the mounting realization that the season arc is going to end very, very dumbly just for that alone.

I want to watch the Pike/Strange-New-Worlds-precursor stuff but not the rest of Discovery. Is that possible? Please forgive me if this question sounds stupid; I haven’t seen any of the show except the season 1 and season 2 teasers.

To be honest, I’d assume they will make it pretty easy to jump straight into this show without any prior knowledge of Discovery. Pike did go through some heavy character beats and they probably won’t ignore that completely, but this show will (hopefully) start with a clean slate.

The more I think about it, the more I kind of hope this is an alternate timeline, or at least that they have room to make some changes. I mean, it’s kind of a bummer knowing what Pike’s ultimate fate is from the original series, even if he does get a happy ending.

Or just f’ing watch Season 2 of Discovery and lighten up and enjoy it, for the love of The Great Bird of the Galaxy.

It’s a fair question, I think. This new series looks more interesting to me than the bits I’ve seen of the first season of Discovery, I can understand someone not really wanting to dig any deeper into that show.

I’m not boycotting the show. I watch a lot of things only for certain A/B/C plots and I couldn’t figure it out by googling. Sorry, really didn’t mean to offend with the question.

Discovery isn’t perfect. All shows have flaws, and as a Trek fan since childhood I’m certainly judgy AF. But if you watch Season 2 of Discovery, you will have plenty of fun in between occasional sighs at the writing team’s decisions.

If you’re an OG Trek fan and you like the Pike character, watching S2 of Disco before SNW isn’t going to be a waste of your time.

(Yeah, people can nitpick plot holes. Show me TV where you can’t. :-) )

Good deal. Season 2, here I come!

BTW - that is a photo from the sets of Discovery, Season 2 - not from Strange New Worlds. There hasn’t been a single still released from SNW. She just took the neck thing off…

Ahh. Haha. Well, I don’t blame her. And hope remains for a tweaked collar.

Yeah, I’m focused on the important stuff.

Crew intro!

And they changed the uniforms and fixed the collars, so obviously someone is listening to me.

The cast looks great (Uhura!), although I can’t decide if I should roll my eyes or be excited about an apparent relative of Khan onboard.

That is really cool that they’ll have Uhura and Nurse Chapel - I wonder if there’s a chance we’ll be seeing Sulu, Scotty, any others? And I guess I’ll honor your choice to spoiler tag that other casting choice, maybe there are folks out there reading the thread and at the same time trying to go in blind? Anyway, I agree, interesting choice. Curious to see where they’re taking that.

God I’m so excited for this

Yeah. Overly cautious but it feels like a reveal that someone who is trailer-averse might appreciate not having spoiled. Maybe. I’m sure it’ll get discussed here so my heroic effort will be in vain ;)

Cast looks good to me. My big concern is the writing. That has been the downfall of every new series.