Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I’ve got Battletech on my Steam wishlist, didn’t realize it was out next week.

Scott has a new video up.

I forgot I had named that Wolf “dogfart” until I read it in my own video. I amuse me. :)

Here is a teaser for tomorrow’s video.

Monk/Druid?

Is it just me or do the character and monster sprites/models look a lot crisper than the first PoE?

No, it’s not just you, they actually remade all the models and spells from the ground up for the sequel. Everything is just a lot better looking in this one from the vastly improved lighting to the inclusion of dynamic weather and day/night cycles.

E: I should mention one of the goals for the sequel was to make the combat more readable, part of why the re-did all the models/visuals, but also to allow the game to be more moddable. In fact, a mod someone made for the beta that made changes to almost all the casting times influenced the developers to reduce casting times and increase recovery times from weapons here and there for the beta 4. So mods should be a thing once the game gets it’s feet under it, I think, for those that are into that.

I saw that they wanted to push the graphics further but Feargus wanted the baseline PC capable of running the game to be as broad as possible.

As a guy with a high end gaming rig, that saddens me. :) But I can see his point, and honestly to me PoE2 is just gorgeous so no complaints. However, my son has come in and watched me play a few times and said “why are you playing a 20 year old game?” - now some of that is because he knows it will get me going and he’s a huge asshole, but some of it might be he’s playing The Witcher 3 right now, so everything looks a little pale by comparison. :)

I showed screenshots to a 36yo guy at work who’s a console junkie and he thought they looked terrible and laughed that this is the game I’m most looking forward to. I tried explaining that there’s animated foliage, weather effects, lighting, spell effects, etc., but I think the entire isometric view down threw him since most console games are designed to push that TV in your face.

W3 is a beautiful game, no doubt. But, yeah, sons can be little a-holes. Took mine to the movies a few years ago, in line at the concession stand with a teenage girl behind the counter, and right in front of her the little jerk says, “Dad, why did you eat so many paint chips as a kid?” I said, “Why is your bus that takes you to school shorter than the normal buses?” She laughed at both of us (the lady in line behind us looked ready to explode on me). My son was 8 at the time.

Jeez. I couldn’t agree nor relate more than if we had somehow swapped bodies in what seems like would be the most boring version of Freaky Friday ever.

I am playing POE1, and I think it looks great. :)

A lot of younger people dislike isometric camera angles.

That’s probably (sadly) true. It’s my favorite viewing angle for games though, from RPGs to strategy games like AoW3. I mean, I am okay with first person and third person, don’t get me wrong (I love Skyrim, The Witcher 3, and etc.) but nothing beats Isometric for my money.

Yep , I blame hundreds of hours with Sim City 2000. :)

Not quite! It was a fighter/druid, the Warden!

Lol I had already watched it by the time I read your reply. Google algorithms are doing their job recommending new stuff for me to see.

LOL awesome! I completely forgot to update this thread. I am rendering a new video now, Transcendent and Scout. I’m a big fan of both these combinations. The Monk/Cipher in particular was a lot of fun for me to experiment with. It’ll be up on my channel in the next 10-15 minutes.

I wish I was better at creating videos or even timely screenshots. What happens when your unarmed 9th level Dwarf Votary punches things with fists ignited by Flames of Devotion when his Might is at 37 and his Dex at 22?

LOL awesome.

How did you get your Might at 37?

Let me see if I can puzzle it out.

+2 Starting Might for base 20. +5 more from an Inspiration. +10 more from Helwalker. Well, that’s 35 already. Is that what you did? I can only imagine the damage output on that, crimany.

+2 from eating pork. . .bacon, it makes everything better. But you were right on everything else. I think it’s a passive that when I crit the toon gets to attack again, so in the beta if the Votary crits the mob dies, especially once his Might starts getting up to around 30. I’ve seen 4 crits in a row during some fights

The +5 was from the clerical spell Champion’s Boon. But 40 is do-able with a few magic items in the main game, just gotta watch the +50% dmg coming in with 10 wounds. I typically burn that off with some monk skills, but I took the passive that lowers the barrier for gaining wounds (figured it’s a good way to keep monk skills that use wounds powered up).

Don’t forget there is now a cap on stats, and I think high 30’s is approaching it. It’s in the patch notes I think.

But even so, getting into the high 30’s and scoring several crits with a Votary is… well, insane. And awesome.