Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I’ve played with the idea of going Wayfarer over Goldpact for my votary build, but that extra armor is hard to give up when using a Helwalker subclass since they take so much damage once those wounds stack up. But one benefits only your toon while the other benefits everyone around you.

Something to think about is with a helwalker you do actually want the wound, and armor reduces your damage/wound intake - however, when healing you retain gained wounds, so if my math is right, very nearly constant healing with flames of devotion (especially dual wielding and with a high Might to generate extra healing) would be a solid way to go. Couple it with a Moon Godlike for additional healing waves and you are set.

Also, don’t forget that at tier…4, I think it is, you can pick up the Mind/Body modal and leave it on body for +10 CON at 10 wounds!

Is that a monk ability? Doubt I’d switch to the godlike race, I want the +2 Might from dwarfs. +75% dmg from a 35 Might is brutal.

Yeah, it was +5 Con/+5 Int at some point, or that’s how I remember it, but it must have been changed along the way? I was testing with with Thunderous Blows with a single class Helwalker and it was nuts, having both those active along with the Helwalker passive from having wounds all at once.

On a side note, I’d like to talk about how awesome “Instant” abilities are that grant buffs, like Thunderous Blows, Disciplined Strikes, Wild Sprint (Barbarian), etc. if nothing else because they trigger WHILE the game is paused, you can just click them and then go about with your planning. God that’s awesome.

Thanks for the info, I know which abilities I’ll be taking for my votary once he hits PL 4.

This link’s chart, if accurate, is a nice reference to use for planning out a build: https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Power+Source

Nice, I’ve been wondering when the breaks happen since the stream they showed had level 18 characters at only power level 8 (if it followed D&D progression it would have been power level 9 (so to speak) at 17).

I did a votary build using Kindly and at level 9 I was healing 25 per unarmed strike. So 50 health pts per use of Flames, assuming both hit, is powerful healing that will only increase as you level up (I had 30 Might from 10 wounds at the end of my test).

I did notice, just for those that weren’t “in the know” the chart isn’t up to date in regards to number of single-class abilities - single class now gains two picks at every new power level, so they are more in-line with how many overall abilities multi-class characters are.

Yeah, more playing around with Votary VI (yes, my 6th votary build in the beta) has me strongly leaning toward Kindly Wayfarer + Helwalker. Every fight ends with the votary and merc rogue and fighter at full health.

If I let go of my dwarf’s +2 Might and go nature godlike (offsetting that Might with a start region, so 19 instead of 20 Might. . .whoop-dee-doo), that would likely be of more benefit than bonuses to Con afflictions. Hell, it obviously would be, and every fight will see that monk quick strike ability popped, which will activate the nature godlike’s +2 PL bennie.

Sigh, Votary VII incoming.

If you are interested, I’d be happy to load up a save game you send (or recreate a build if you give me details) and show it off a little, once you are happy with your “final” build?

Think you’d be fine without replaying. Or you could just play a day or two to remember the basics. I’m playing POE1 now, for the first time, so it’s all very fresh in my mind and I’m obsessed with the lore if you have any questions, heh.

It’s a crafting upgrade option in PoE1. Just curious if that was added later than you played it.

Sort of. Some very late game items had it, but I’m talking about random daggers in a chest being “legendary dagger” now.

somehow my reply got added above your post - see it there.

I had forgotten you could craft it, but I’m saying it’s going to be a thing you’ll find casually now, not having to craft it or reserved for specific fully upgrade Soul Bound items. Sort of like finding a Fine Dagger early in the game, you’ll just find like a Legendary Dagger - no other properties, not even magical, just “Legendary” quality. I imagine we’ll have a lot more Mythic stuff as well for the late game.

Those bottom stats is why I want something like cestus for monks. Unarmed attacks just don’t scale to match those stats.

Agreed. Well, at least they don’t seem to. Maybe they do with higher power levels in Monk (and if not, maybe they will in the full version of the game).

@John_Reynolds sent me his save game, which loaded up without any hassle and I recorded a little video showing off the build he’s been talking about here, plus I took a closer look at crafting and enchanting!

Enjoy!

I’ll probably specialize in clubs with my Votary just in case unarmed attacks don’t scale in the full game. Not as fast as bare fists, but still a nice, low recovery time.

Thanks for the video, watching it now.

Edit: in the crafting portion, you mention the crafting stuff doesn’t show the stats, but if you go up to the image and right-click, you get the pop-up window with the details. And, yes, some of the food is pretty awesome. That votary build will start fights at 25 Might with the right food and hit 32 without spells or magic items. So running about with 35 Might in any decent fight will be common.

LOL that’s awesome. You may want to play on Veteran with that build in your party. :)