Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yes!!

The new UI for crafting is a nice improvement too.

No lie.

Deadfire’s 2nd DLC released today:

Yes this is what I have picked back up. I have no idea what that dlc does (or the last one) but I am coming back in to play here soon!

Good timing for this patch and DLC, as I’ve just gone back to Deadfire to continue my second run. Have to check out that combat camera to see how it looks, too.

Combat camera? What’s this now?

Misspoke. Meant the “kill cam.” Just adding a little flair to combat.

[Edit] And having seen what it does (zooms in slightly, a bit of a slow-mo effect, I think), I don’t think I’ll use it much or at all. I thought it might do some full screen zoom on your enemy upon kill and that would have been entertaining to see.

I have come back home to Deadfire! Starting a new character with all the current dlc. I even looked at a build video for a chanter… And yes there is a new “kill cam” I saw that on my poorly designed barbarian/chanter I rolled last night.

Sometimes when there are so many good solid games out its better to retreat, reconfigure, and go to something you know. Then creep up to the new stuff…

One of my recent playthroughs was with a full chanter (bard for the brisk recitation). Swing by the magic shop in Periki’s Overlook and guy Sasha’s Singing Scimitar. Very OP combo, especially the summons. And some of the higher tier chants are powerful too.

Oh thx John I was thinking about that. Chanters are sorta the unique class to that game so I am encouraged to play one again.

A fighter devoted into scimitar and dual class? even better?

No, the tier 8 and 9 chanter skills are what you want. Don’t multi-class your chanter.

You are a good man. Single class it is!

Depends on what you want to do. Some of the low level chanter spells are super powerful and are usable for the entire game.

My chanter build was dual blunderbuses. Kept me close enough to the tanks for my chants to benefit them while doing some damage as I built up for invocations. I said bard upstream, but it was troubador I went with for its brisk recitation.

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/With+all+your+Strength,+Slay+the+Beast!

Tier 8 chant, great for dragons.

I got through the first act of PoE 1 and fizzled out. I don’t remember why.

I’m feeling the big RPG itch and am wondering about whether I should try PoE2 or see if PoE1 is better than I remember. Can anyone highlight the relevant merits? I care a lot about writing and characters, FWIW.

Poe gets better in the DLC that dropped for it. Sadly the main storyline isn’t very good. But you know … it still is a great game and I enjoyed a recent playthrough leading up to POW2 deadfire, which, in my opinion is better in almost every way.

Poe’s strength is figuring out builds and stuff and a bit of min/maxing. Poe 2 :Deadfire is probably a better story and has good characters.

A new, similar game (similar in a loose way) is Pathfinder: Kingmaker that just came out.

I think I’m going to give Kingmaker a few months for patches. I also never finished D:OS2, maybe I’ll go back to that.

I love PoE and Deadfire both (PoE moreso), but I’d have to say that, if you fizzled on PoE, Deadfire isn’t going to scratch a different itch. While some of the mechanics and the look is polished in Deadfire, it really is more of the same style of gameplay, the same type of writing, with what I think is a bit less in terms of character depth and development.

Interestingly, my opinion would be the opposite of @KristiGaines above: I find that PoE has better story and characters where Deadfire is probably more friendly to those that like playing with builds (see this thread).

On a different note, I’ve finally done something I don’t think I’ve ever done in the history of fantasy RPGs: I have a party that doesn’t contain a wizard-type character. I let Aloth go in favour of taking along Pallegina, who I wasn’t able to make fit in my first game, so my party only has one ‘caster’ type in Tekēhu who I have as a full Druid (watershaper). Edér is the only one I have along that I had in my first game, but this time he’s a Rogue rather than a Fighter. I’m playing a Monk (Helwalker). Maia Rua, too, I kept as a Ranger, so not a lot of magic to go around. Interestingly, battles seem easier than in my first game, but I’ll see how that changes as the game progresses.

Equis I am playing a no-spellcaster party now in Deadfire–sorta a melee dominant bunch. They are wrecking things. Barbarian, fighter, brute. On … the difficulty above --challenging I think without looking.

Plus I agree if you bounced off POE 1 well, POE 2 wont make you a believer. I bounced off that last chapter in poe 1 but finally came back and finished and was sorta glad I did. And I like Poe2.

Having had Pallegina leave my crew over a disagreement (first time for that!) I filled her role with Ydwin which brought a bit of the spellcasting back to the party as a Cipher. I didn’t realize that she had a major role in Beast of Winter so I was pleasantly surprised to hear her start up some dialogue once I reached Harbinger’s Watch.

Ouch on Beast of Winter, though. I waited until I was the exact level required to visit, according to the message having no skulls associated, but the first battles required multiple attempts. I think I’m going to bounce off this at level 14, for now, and return later once I gain a few levels. I still have plenty I can do in the Deadfire and I’m not a fan of combat optimization and buffing beforehand, etc, etc, to manage a foe.