Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I agree with this!

Whoa, what the heck is this, now!?

Power Level 4 passive ability my Priest can select, never seen it before?

Wow. Secretly I liked it more in the end than Inquisition… I could never figure out a good control scheme in Inquisition and I got kinda mad.

Pillars 2 Neth (main city) is NOT bad in my opinion. It is just a rpg city and by its very nature seems like a bit of a slog.

Interestingly and notwithstanding my comments (above) BG2’s “city” was a huge part of that game. In fact you could say it WAS what made that game so good (whole second act etc as a hub).

Oh, I’d agree DA2 is easily better than Inquisition which was just awful.

I think it’s because I played this morning after 4.0.1 released, made some saves, then they secretly changed the game to remove the turn-based shit they accidentally slipped in.

Oofta, yikes, that would indeed suck. Hopefully they get it sorted for folks in your situation shortly. :(

I perked up at turn-based and then deflated. It must exist, why not let people use it? I would marathon the hell out of PoE and PoE2 if this was a thing.

Been playing with the new subclasses and finally settled on the Ancient druid. Went with a nature godlike and named him Tom Bombadil, naturally. My first druid in PoE1 or 2.

Well whatever else this last patch did, it gave me tons of crashes in a game I think maybe crashed once ever before. I’ve had like 3 in as many hours of play.

With Inquisition they’ve managed a great feat of making party-based tactical RPG that plays better with controller than with keyboard and mouse by making k&b controls a disaster.

But I liked Inquisition. Gameplay-wise it has a lot of plates to spin and there’s a feeling of a big world with lots to see, read, talk. DAO is still a much better game, and DA2 is somewhat better gameplay-wise, but Inquisition really immerses you in the world.

I’ve been using it since last patch. I love the Spell Shaping more for adjusting the area of effect to avoid my party members than anything else, but it’s awesome and I take it for all spell-casters.

Perhaps we’ll see a turn based mode in the future? https://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-devs-accidentally-added-turn-based-combat-this-week/

I saw that! Looked like the whole interface changed and it was real! Any more news on this?

Looks like this is official now, but PoE 2 is going turn based and I think it’s going to be freaking amazing as such.

And it’s happening on 1/24. In two days.

That bumps it higher on the to play list for sure. I imagine it may take a couple patches to get the balance right.

I can’t imagine they nailed it out of the gate, but then again, it’s been in the works for a very long time and the article seems to mention they did a lot of work re-balancing encounters and reworking the UI, so it might actually be fine. I stalled out on my second play through with so many other games coming out, and was just thinking of getting back to it this week. I think I’ll hold off and try a new game and a new party in the turn-based mode and see how that goes. I’m pretty excited to give it a shot.

Wow, this is exciting news. If they do a good job, I’ll come back in. My biggest problem with these games has always been that I’ve never had fun with RTwP combat (with the exception of Planescape Torment that made it kind of fun).

I’m glad I happened to click on this thread. This is mind-blowing news. I never would have expected it in a million years, for a game to change to turn-based.

Wow, that’s amazing! I never thought it would come out this close. Looking forward to it!

It really is, I’m glad you clicked on it as well. @Telefrog maybe this is worth a front page post to spread the word to other’s that dismissed this originally for it being RTwP?

I’ve got the following tactical combat RPGs lined up to play: Divinity Original Sin 2, The Bard’s Tale IV, Pathfinder Kingmaker (at chapter 4 or 5), Underail, Pillars of Eternity 2 + Season Pass, Shadowrun Dragonfall, plus some lower profile games and replays of series I like. That’s the order I planned on tackling them. Now I don’t know.

I think Divinity OS 2 will still be first, but I’m tempted to move PoE 2 up after that. Maybe I’ll play The Bard’s Tale IV right after DOS 2 since I haven’t touched that. It’s a tough call! Have you played The Bard’s Tale IV @Scotch_Lufkin?

Although if people here say how awesome PoE 2 is turn based, maybe it will have to jump right to the front.