Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Not especially. I mean, the cosmic pig is cool and so is the hat, but you’ll find no shortage of cool helmets/hats/pets in the game. It would more depend on the extra non-in-game goodies. I’d recommend just base game + season pass, I think.

No, I was just showing a snipper .jpeg of all of the various crap for the game from a price matching site, and then decided it wasn’t worth it.

Since this is on sale on Steam, I have a quick question about turn-based mode: I remember the first Pillars had its fair share of what I’d consider trash mobs. So, did they scale the encounters down a bit to accommodate the presumably greatly increased play time caused by using turn-based mode, or am I looking at a 40-hour game potentially becoming a 120-hour game?

I only played in the beta but to make a long story short - yeah, the fights are a bit fewer between and more meaningful.

Pretty interesting post mortem presentation by Josh Sawyer

That thirty second intro logo is a bit fucking much!

I only watched about 20 minutes, but it’s really made me convinced I should re-install Deadfire again soon.

I felt the same way about the plot. It had a similar problem to Fallout 4, where I was given this urgent main plot, but then distracted by a ton of subquests. So, as a player, I had to believe that the main plot (in this case, literally marching forward every second) would just sort of wait for me to catch up with it when I was good and ready. It felt like the antithesis of a living world that RPGs try to portray.

There’s an option to have the main quest timed (it’s one of the god options). Wonder how that plays out.

But I presume having that as a default would have murdered the game on release.

But the alternative? A timer on the main clock a la Fallout – uh - 1?

I dunno. I think there was a lot to like about Pillar’s Deadfire. But just like Pillars one… it just dead ended for me and I never finished.

So my question is: With BG3 on the long horizon, what made me finish THAT game. And expansions?

Was Baldura Gate better? Or were we just younger?

This is a question that often gets asked when people praise the older games. And as someone who didn’t play many classics until 15 years after release I can tell you that they’re simply that good.

I’ll dissent and say that BG2 does not hold up compared to Dragon Age Origins, NWN2, PoEs, etc. Some great fights and locales, but the writing is terrible and so are the NPCs, compared to more recent games.

It is still the best archmage simulator to date though.

Bateau, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear.

Not so much BG, but absolutely BG2. Even with it’s relatively lame magic system by modern standards, it’s still the best. What other game gives you a customized Fortress specific to every class?

Bal I hated the bg magic system a lifetime ago … but I can’t quite call it lame … it was what it was. A good mage would turn the tide …

I strongly disagree. I still find it fascinating how intimate the main storyline in BG2 is, if you consider the absolutely gigantic scope of the game. Enigmatic villain with real motives, and companions with interesting backstories and morals that they will not hesitate to try and leverage towards you.

If anything, I’d say it’s the other way around - BG2 stands head and shoulders above the games you mentioned when it comes to writing.

I think I’d go with this. The original BG was not a great game in a number of areas. BG2 was an improvement in almost every aspect, and it’s hard to say it’s been beaten in all of them ever again.

Thanks for posting this!
Finally made me want to go back to the game (only ever played the intro area…).

Yeah, thanks NI1! That was really interesting.

I agree it made me want to get back to the game… I stalled pretty early. But then again, I stalled early in the first Pillars and later went back and finished the whole damn thang! There’s hope for me yet…