Pillars of Eternity

…And now, I’ll wait for the inevitable patch.

The patch came out earlier in the day.

Yeah, I’m talking about the inevitable patch that comes out after any big addition to any game.

Yeah, the last major release had such big blunders that I (along with pretty much everyone else) just shaked my head in disbelief. Stats were increasing or decreasing on their own, some weapon procs didn’t work, passives didn’t work, etc. Their bug tracker at the time read like a horror story.

Ah, gotcha. Probably not a bad plan. Not me though, I’m diving in a little tonight and probably going to have it wrapped over the weekend (or sooner). I did play for about 30 minutes at lunch and everything seemed to be working wonderfully, but I did notice some of the fonts in some dialog looked like a different font size than other dialog options. Kind of strange. I was REALLY happy to see all my party members no longer had a “Spelltongue” buff (which ONLY should have been applied to my Rogue, who has said weapon equipped) - so that bug was fixed at some point, which is great.

Oh, I will be diving in too. I’m still trying to decide on a class to play, I really want to try a rogue but they don’t get any real benefit from INT and I want to roleplay an intelligence and perception focused character.

I’m really loving my Druid - who benefits greatly from both INT and PER. You could also just make sure you have a Rogue in your party so you still get the fun of playing with one (I adore my Rogue).

How does druid benefit from PER? Are you playing a shapeshifter?

I’m currently watching nerdcommando’s 3.0 update videos and he’s making a strong case for Cipher so I might try that.

I’m pretty sure EVERYONE benefits from PER, because your accuracy is rolled for everything from landing an attack with a mace to landing a fireball spell. But also yeah, Bear form. :)

Time for my second playthrough. Having a hell of a time figuring out my party, though. I know I’m gonna take the DLC characters of barbarian, thief, and monk since they’re new, and I mostly ignored the wizard, druid, and ranger in the base game. My last PC was a wizard so I’d prefer a fightery type this time around, might make a straight up fighter and take the druid and ranger. Hm. No cleric will kinda suck but with the new survival healing things it might work out ok.

Couple bug reports have already shown up on steam forums. One’s related to the dying monk and his missive and a couple people with saves from previous versions reported being stuck in permanent combat mode in some locations.

I’ll wait until tomorrow, scan the forums again and then decide if it’s worth playing right away.

I started over–again–to try a playthrough with all the bits and pieces now. Started a Fire Godlike Dwarven Barbarian. Seems legit.

I put about 5 hours in last night, the only bug I ran into was a slight graphical bug with the area to the left of one of my characters (where the active effect icons go) turned white. Saving and loading the game fixed it though.

Man, there is a lot of content here. I haven’t even touched the main quest yet (other than to start it with a small event) and instead have run some of the new bounties, done some of the new side quests/tasks, and generally just explored a few of the new areas (which led to yet more stuff to explore!) and leveled up to 15. Some crazy abilities at level 15!

Couldn’t be happier so far, anyone know about how much content the actual expansion is supposed to boast? I just finished the last side-quest (that I found) so I’m heading into where I think the actual “meat” of the tale starts.

I started this when it was first released and put it aside for other games after only about 4 hours. Should I just restart with a new character at this point if I pick it back up again?

My advice is to start a new game, honestly.

Yeah, I started a new game with a Cipher this time. Should be fun!

Thanks folks, I will do so.

I started over because I had forgotten pretty much everything from my earlier attempts, and hand zero invested in them. So far, it seems they’ve made a lot of nice improvements.

I just got a 65 inch tv after a decade of an old 42 inch DLP tv. I fired up Pillars of Eternity last night on my Steam Link and grabbed a recommended Steam Controller config for the game. It looks great now at that size. Before it wasn’t really playable due to the graphics, but the UI changes, combined with the much larger screen, is a welcome upgrade. I’m looking forward to breaking out a bunch of my old isometric crpg’s that I couldn’t play via Steam Link before. Wasteland, Divine Divinity enhanced edition, etc…

The game does seem improved, and I don’t know if it’s because I’ve come to terms with PoE’s shortcomings (Skipping 90% of dialog this time around, for example), if it’s improvements from the White March 1 and 2 patches, or some combination of the both but I had a pretty good time last night. Knocked out Raedric’s keep and the temple of Eothas and all the surrounding wilderness zones. Playing on hard difficulty with “Expert” enabled is a smidge closer to an Infinity Engine game, too. Playing on normal may have hurt the game for me in my first play.

One thing that was fantastic the first time around and remains so this time, setting it for half-speed combat and 1.5 speed out of combat movement. Went through BG1 again after playing PoE the first time to see if it was just rose colored glasses when I felt it was better, and that was one thing I sorely sorely missed.