Pillars of Eternity

Maybe a PC priest (anyone but Durance really)?

What’s wrong with Durance? Especially now that you can respec for a trivial gold cost.

Pally/fighter might be too much defense. At the least, I’d spec one of them more offensively. Fighter can single-tank if he specs hardcore defense, but it’s probably not worth what you give up.

Maybe something more like fighter/“tanky” priest/rogue/control-mage? Priests can totally get away with wearing armor and don’t really need to spec into their support stuff to be darned good at it, so you could probably get one to off-tank when need be.

Rogues really are absurd single-target damage. Way moreso even than the Hunter. Demands a lot of micro, though, and the going is rough until you get some of their escape abilities. I’d want one in a four-person party though for sure, just to keep the damage up high enough.

Druid might actually be better than rogue in this setup. With the mage more interested in control you may run into some issues with not having enough elemental damage for things that are heavily physical-resistant, and shapeshifted druids do near-rogue damage.

I thought companion respec was only for talents, not base stats? Durance has absurdly high resolve if I remember right.

You’re right about base stats, I didn’t think of that. Eh, it’s not the end of the world.

I’m doing a party of 4 and going with the classic DnD setup of Fighter, Mage, Rogue, Cleric and so far so good. I am on Hard for now, but I’ll bump it down to Normal if I end up feeling I’ll need to. Once nice thing is the faster leveling 4 characters gets you. But after 140 hours of controlling 6 characters, 4 feels kind of easy to manage. But fun easy, not boring easy.

You know I may try the OTHER classic party setup: Pally/Fighter/Mage/Rogue. Pallies can heal quite a bit (not near as much as clerics) but …

The MAIN problem with less than 4 --especially after the latest series of patches? Durn adds squiggle around your tanks and beat your mages (etc) senseless. That was intended --apparently – but it makes it harder to play 4. I mean --to me.

Bat – yeah I think you can reset stats --well I could on my own premade characters resetting them. EDIT: No, can’t reset NPC stats you recruit --only skills, talents, and spells. Just checked! FINISH EDIT. My hunter even reset her pet! Adam I agree completely with you on the rogue – good heavens I was playing one the other day and it was la machine! (I think that’s an old blender device sold on late night tv in the 80’s). I wont roll without a rogue now. And I like the Pally auras, healing, and especially the pally (Kind Wayfarers) that can heal/buff on kills.

Paladin’s have some of the most powerful late-game buffs, too. Just incredible high-level play there.

I’ve been getting beat down with my 4 just a bit – Pally/fighter/hunter/rogue. I just wonder --what about – Pally/ftr/ftr/ftr --I notice that even the tank fighters (or is it warriors) do great damage and are incredibly resilient --esp with at least one pally.

I think at least 2 good crowd control fighter types are needed to protect the squishier classes in the back. Otherwise mobs overwhelm the front line. 4 fighters might work because then nobody is squishy. I can’t remember if there are enemy types that fighters would have a hard time damaging but spells are better.

The problem with the latest White March patch is fighters can’t always “hold the line” on 2 (or more) anymore – you have to spec a bit deeper. There ARE some weapons that allow it. I am finding, however, that a mid-to late game mage with some crowd control AND damaging spells works wonders. I am NOW thinking Paly/Ftr/rogue/mage. That’s sorta classic right?

What I’ve found makes my fighter a whole lot better at tanking is picking up some of the +save talents. An extra +20 against getting charmed/knocked down/whatever goes a long way.

Looking for some advice.

I am playing on Hard but find that I am starting to over-level the game a bit. I am starting ACT 3 and have not made it to White March yet.

I started on Path of the Damed, but it feels like a slog getting to Act 3 again.

Im a completionist at heart and seem to have this issue with a lot of Games. (Witcher 3 esp)

Should I keep up my new playthrough or am I just going to have the same issue?

Start of Act 3 has a difficulty spike right away if you go after the GODDAMNED OGRE DRUIDS on the north end of the first area. I would hold judgment.

Thanks Adam. Perhaps ill continue on then.

Also --White March also has a difficulty spike – why not wander over there --then wander back – then do some endless paths – I have found In that game the sorta bouncing around tactic works – not easy for the ocd in us – but …

I started a new one with Pally/ftr/ftr/rogue on hard – I finally got sick of my mages and weaksauce guys getting crushalated in the backfield –

Im not sure if its OCD or just what makes sense story wise, but I have a hard time jumping around. Its the problem with all side quests.

Why would my group abandon the quest when we are in hot pursuit of the bad guy to check out a rumor or even a call for help.

I know White March has scaling, so perhaps im best to just move on with the story, complete the game then do White March with scaling.

That’s always been the annoying thing with CRPGs for me too. I mean, I know they always give you an option to refuse quests, but it always seems so churlish to not get the poor farmer’s pigs back from the ogre :(

Its like in LOTR when the 3 companions are pursuing the Orks that captured Merry and Pippin, changing directions completely to kill a giant thats been attacking a Farmers sheep.

Im not saying I could do better. Ill take open world over On Rails any day.

[quote=“andrewsk, post:2909, topic:75356, full:true”]
Im not sure if its OCD or just what makes sense story wise, but I have a hard time jumping around. Its the problem with all side quests.

Why would my group abandon the quest when we are in hot pursuit of the bad guy to check out a rumor or even a call for help.[/quote]

I use the excuse that my party knows they’ll only be stronger, with better equipment, if they get a little more adventuring in before tackling the big battles. They are always about knowing their strengths and weaknesses and wanting to succeed in their ultimate goal. See? Works!

You know I really sorta like the mechanics --but this storyline --or lack thereof – it never grabs me. I have no motivations for anything and so – I tend to burn out on it. I wonder why that is? Obsidian is usually better than that --but this story and world building – maybe its just me. Weaksauce. I don’t feel attached to anything in this world. I felt MORE attached to the Icewind Dale world — even in IW2. I need someone to straighten me out!

Maybe Tyranny will have a PLOT that makes SENSE and some good reasons for me to kill stuff. Lord Pillars is a great “game” but lousy on story. And this is coming from someone that thought the Fallout 4 story was --uh --well, average.