Pillars of Eternity

Is it auto-saving per load and can you turn that off in the options? Hopefully Deadfire offers that choice.

Because they were designed in 2007 when SSD prices were absurd?

Yeah, but even if you put an SSD in a system on your own it’s not really much faster - the bottleneck is the board they are using. For the original release of the PS4 and XBOX I suppose that makes sense, but it wouldn’t have been much (any?) more expensive to allow for the option that end-users might want to upgrade to an SSD with the XBOXONEX or the PS4 Pro. It’s just a big missed opportunity, imo.

As it happens I am using an SSD in my Xbox but I have it connected to the USB3 port as an external drive. The game is installed on that. From what I’ve read this actually gives better performance than the internal non-SSD drive.

But load times are still really irritating.

For some reason I woke up today and got the idea stuck in my head to buy the DLC for this game despite never beating the original (I played to the end of Act 2 back when it first came out but fizzed out for some reason).

Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Bad Idea. Finish the one you paid for already :)

The DLC at $9 each is a fantastic value, each one is lengthy and introduces new NPC’s you can recruit as well as new content from powerful later-game weapons/equipment to new skills and a higher level cap (both DLC’s do this). But they are aimed entirely at the end-game, once you beat the vanilla game for the most part, so you should probably play PoE again and see if you are getting into it more this time. If you aren’t, save your $18. If you ARE, getting them now 40% off is a decent investment in future fun.

I would recommend it if you were enjoying yourself. Personally I found the expanded level cap and additional companions well worth it even without getting to the expansion content (and actually some of the early stuff is doable by act 2, IIRC). But of course if you fell off because you weren’t gelling with the game, investing more in it would be silly.

Thanks all - urge to spend is in check for now (will probably blow it on something else :) )

So … maybe not the proper thread for this… but Pillars of Eternity II can be pre-ordered.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-standard-edition-pc/

I know there’s a code or two floating around that will let you get 10% off.

Is there a thread for POE2? I know Scott has put up a couple of videos but I don’t think it was in a dedicated thread.

There’s a PoE2 thread here:

So 2.5 years after my first go around that flamed out in the first third of the game, I am back for a second try. This time I rolled up an Elven Ranger (I know, so original) with a wolf pet. Having a pet that can both scout and act as a roadblock/tank makes playing a ranged character very enjoyable. The game has also had several updates/expansions since I first played, and seems to be more fluid/stable/approachable now. Just as in my first go around, I love the nostalgic feel of the game, like I’m playing a sequel to all those old Bioware/Black Isle RPGs I loved so much.

Oh, and this time through I found @Desslock! Nice little backstory. I could not bring myself to murder him, but he may have benefitted from the fact that plate is inefficient for a Ranger anyway.

Rangers are legit! I grabbed the NPC ranger on my current playthrough with the intention of replacing her with another character found shortly thereafter, but she (and her badass fox) are too awesome and have forced me to keep them around.

So much damage. Really excellent single-target shredding.

Agreed. I now have several party members as I picked up the mage and the fighter in Gilded Vale and the cleric guy on the road. This means I can pretty much select the strongest target from a group and sick my wolf on it while directing my character to fill it full of arrows (after using one of the combat abilities) while the rest of the party attacks the remaining critters. Seems to be working fairly well thus far.

I’d forgotten how beautiful the music is in Pillars of Eternity. The only problem is that I usually play at night, in the hour or two before bed, and the music is so soothing and relaxing that it’s making me sleepy as I play!

Dammit people - I’ve tried this three times, and stopped various places, mostly near the city (I hate cities in games - so much wasted time) - This is making me pine for another round!

Has anyone tried it on the consoles and can tell if they are any good there as well?

Curious about this myself I just watched a little random PS4 footage on YouTube. It’s probably fine, but one thing I can tell would drive me nuts is having to press a button to highlight stuff on the screen to get the same info a mouse-over would provide.

I can also imagine inventory management is a bit of a nightmare, but maybe they’ve solved that somehow. Either way, it’s probably sub-optimal to play on console, and likely unnecessary as even a potato can run Pillars of Eternity.

Thanks for the feedback @Scotch_Lufkin - its more of a convenience thing, and of course the fact that often my GF likes to watch the games I play, and comment on them, so it sorta becomes a couples thing.

I played on a console (PS4) and thought it was fine, a little fiddly but in general not bad. The micromanagement necessary during combat got a bit painful, of course that’s true on PC as well but would be faster. I did eventually lose the will to continue after yet another combat; I think I would have lasted longer on the PC but not too much.

Then you’re gonna love that this game has two cities! And the second one was a stretch goal! Yaaaay…

That is one big drawback to these kind of games, the need to watch your party walk from one end of a fully explored map to the other just to reach the Inn, or the Smithy, or the transition point to wherever…even enabling the fast mode only makes it slightly less yawn inducing.

I wish that the designers of these kind of games could make signposts around the towns and villages and near transition points, and that you could just scroll your map to any previously uncovered signpost, click it, and have your party appear there. If you’ve fully explored a map, you’re unlikely to have a further encounter there, so why not allow you to sort of skip across it when need be?