Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Saw it opening day. IMHO, It’s significantly better than 4, although it still can’t capture the magic of the first film. That said I don’t think any film could, as a good part of the fun was discovering the world of Pirates and all the characters within it.

I would have been happy with just ‘better’ than 4, so significantly better is fine by me!

EDIT: It was indeed better. I thought it was a fun movie. This is why I’m not a movie critic. People were saying the story was confusing (uh, it was pretty basic - very hard to be confused), that Depp phoned it in (this wasn’t Fraser in the 3rd Mummy movie), etc. Honestly I think people are just tired of Pirates movies and/or have soured on Depp because of real life stuff. Oh well.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fun popcorn movie. IMDB score is 7.2 which I feel is accurate. I saw it in 2D but this one might be worth seeing in 3D.

The sound of a million worried executives, suddenly silenced.

I saw this today. It’s not a great movie or even really a good one, but it’s enjoyable with some interesting special affects. My biggest issue with it there is a, shall we say, character ending moment in the movie that was 100% predictable and the main reason why I was affected by that loss had nothing to do with the movie I was watching and all about the previous one. It’s just… lacking on some level.

For me though, the ending made it pretty much worth it but… I’ve liked pirates for a bit even though I thought 2 and 3 were… meh.

Saw this this afternoon, and helpfully, Nesrie’s response pretty well sums up my feelings too.

I saw it last night.

I wasn’t impressed with any of the old guard: Rush, Dep, Bloom. It just lacked all the chemistry from the earlier movies. The scene with McCartney was just weird.

I loved Kaya Scodelario and the guy that played Salazar. Young Turner I was meh on. The henna’d witch I liked also.

I enjoyed the bank robbing scene way more than I will admit.

However, the puns were reall bad. I LOVE bad puns, but Salazar saying “I keep a man alive, because the dead can tell no tales” was just BAD.

I’d give it 2/5, which was what I expected going in.

That’s a clunky, obvious, line, but it’s not supposed to be a pun.

Still kind of want to see this but I still haven’t seen the Blackbeard one and I’d probably be all confused by what’s happening.

I didn’t see it either and except for one, minor, part I wasn’t confused. This is the only part, I think:

Apparently in the 4th movie, the Black Pearl ends up as a ship in a bottle. Other than going, “how did that happen? Oh, oh well.” I had also forgotten Will Turner was the captain of the Dutchman.

This isn’t just bad; it also makes no sense.

Is Salazar trying to say that he is a fan of men who can spin a good yarn and that it would be a shame to lose even one of them?

It makes sense, just in a stupidly obvious way. If it doesn’t make sense, you’re overthinking it.

I don’t know where the phrase “dead men tell no tales” was first coined (and it’s pretty hard to google right now thanks to the movie), but it’s obviously a famous part of pirate lore at this point. I suspect it had something to do with a justification for killing someone, you don’t want them telling anyone where you buried your treasure or whatever, so you kill them because then they’re dead and can’t tell anyone.

Salazar is on a murderous rampage, killing almost everyone, but he leaves one man alive to spread the word. So he’s sort of reversing it from the way I think it’s normally used; he leaves one man alive because “[those other] dead men tell no tales”, and Salazar wants people to know what he’s up to. It’s just a really hamfisted way to force the least creative title they could’ve come up with into the script. It’s clumsy and stupid, but it’s not a pun, and technically it does make sense.

Seems that you can give it a few different attributions, depending on your inclination. But a variant does seem to stretch back to Roman times and Plutarch

Agreed, it is not a pun.

I think I read it too literal. That Salazar couldn’t tell the tale. Being dead and all.

I liked Bloom in the end… and it was a nice wrap up, for me, in the end. The movie itself is not good, as I said above. I didn’t really care for any of the new characters, the sharks were… silly and not believable, and Salazar’s thirst for revenge makes no sense… the bank thing looked like a set-up for a Disney ride… and was so stupid but I can see where someone who enjoyed watching the boat rock in what… 2 might like it.

It’s an okay movie at best for someone who already likes pirates. If you don’t enjoy pirates already, can’t imagine this being a worthwhile movie at all.

I think he mostly said it because he can’t go on land. Hard to instill fear in port towns when you can’t brag about your accomplishments, so he leaves a survivor to do it for him (in a more terrified, less bragging manner, which is more effective anyway).

Just going to drop this here:

Good lord no.

Why? Why reboot at all? Seriously, just throw some new pirates in there. Nobody will give a shit.

I’m calling it now: Dwayne Johnson IS Captain Jack Sparrow.