Pirates of the Caribbean

This movie kicked some major butt. Two hours and fifteen minutes long but well paced. I swear Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush are the two best character actors on the planet. Orlando fares quite well. Lots of humor, action and the FX are incredible. Highly recommed it as one, if not the best movie of this summer.

Now to see how LXG is …

Great movie, very entertaining. Not great as in classic great, of course, just great as in extremely valuable entertainment.

You don’t have to hide your brain either, there are no major out-of-character actions, no logical gaffs - it’s all good. The action is fun, Depp is amazing, Rush had only one scene I could even begin to reproach him for - and that’s only by his standards. Orlando was good… the only thing I’d change is the chick, and even she’s not half bad.

Sounds like a nifty popcorn movie, a genre I truly love. Can’t wait to see it tomorrow.

…and SEABISCUIT is gonna save the summer…

No way. It’s too heavy-handed. The trailer before PotC felt like a slap-in-the-face with the feel-good-story sledgehammer.

I think Triggercut was placing his tongue firmly in his cheek. At least I hope he was.

If it weren’t for Depp, I don’t think Geoffrey Rush could have carried this thing on his back alone. Orlando basically puts up a performance as Legolas in pirate attire and everyone else, including “The Girl” give a barely passeable, wooden performance.

Johnny is a fucking genius. Extra points for making me feel like I was watching Fear and Loathing at times with how he handled the Jack Sparrow character’s body language and sly comments. :D

EDIT: That’s also a good sign. I remember the name of his character. What was everyone elses name again?

I’m not seeing it for a simple reason: these are the pussiest pirates I’ve EVER seen, and that includes a few pirate chicks. Is Depp wearing mascara? And what’s with the rest of the pirates being pretty boys? ‘Drag Queens of the Caribean’ just doesn’t grab me, look for Eddie Izzard as first mate :wink: :wink: :wink:

But I predict it’ll be a great success, in fact I think it’ll be so successful Disney will make a ride based on the movie.

Edit: sorry, Tyler might not get that: '…look for Eddie Izzard as first MATE :wink: :wink: :wink: ’

Odd, now that you mention it…I don’t remember one pegleg or eyepatch. Although they make fun of the eyepatch thing with a character who keeps losing his eye.

It’s actually better for avoiding the pirate stereotype. The movie is already so tongue-in-cheek that I think a dozen or so wooden walking aids and eye bandages would impale the cheek with said tongue. :?

You haven’t played Zelda: The Wind Waker, have you?

You haven’t played Zelda: The Wind Waker, have you?[/quote]

He’s gotcha by the dubloon, cap’n. :wink:

Who wouldn’t want to see that?

Nope. Whether you realize it or not, nothing that I’ve seen in the trailers is a departure from fact. (Yep, Charles Howard really did return to thoroughbred racing after his son died in his arms in an accident on their ranch. Yep, George Woolf really did turn to Red Pollard in the gate of an early race and say “Horse looks kinda small, Red,” and yep, Pollard said right back “'Bout to look a lot smaller, Georgie.” And yep, Charles Howard really did give that improbable speech about his horse being too slow, his trainer too old, his jockey not good enough and he himself being too dumb to know the difference–the guy was a car salesman, after all. )While Gary Ross is about as heavy-handed about such movies as you can get, with SEABISCUIT the story is so improbably good that all he needs to do is just tell it, straight from Laura Hillenbrand’s incredible book.

Now then. Where did I put my “I hate it/cynical bastard” pills?

Ok sir, I shall give you the benefit of the doubt, BUT, I’ll wait until it comes out on DVD.

Wait, so all this feel-good stuff is real? Not a fancified Hollywood cash-grab?

I’m tempted to see it then.

See which? PotC or Seabiscuit?

Seabiscuit.

PotC I already saw. It’s a great action movie.

Pirates of the Malacca Straits! hoorj!

The Seabiscuit story is indeed all true. I just finished reading the Hillenbrand story as well and it is an amazing tale. The improbable things that happened with that horse and the people around him were incredible.

How did we get from “Yo Ho Ho” to “giddyup”

I’ll add my 2 bits to the loved it column… Pirates was a lot of fun although I think Gore Verbinski demonstrated that he wasn’t ready to direct a lot of action yet.

Depp’s entrance in this film is classic.