Pirates of the Caribbean

I saw the film, it was fun. About what you could expect for a PG-13 pirate film from disney starring johnny depp.

classic.

Johnny Depp made that film. He was fantastic.

What can I say? I was expecting undead pirates, and they gave me undead pirates and undead monkeys. Thumbs up from me.

Another bony thumbs up for pirates!

It did an excellent job at everything it was trying to do…

Best undead pirate movie you can have without cyborgs or ninjas.

The “scriptwriter catchphrases” were atrocious, though. “If it’s pain you want, wear a corset”, among others, just stunk.

Can’t beat a foppish Depp, though.

Great movie. As for “entertainment” factor, best movie so far this summer.

Johnny Depp really did a fantastic performance. Nice twist and break from the sterotypical “Harrr, ya land lubbers”.

It has, Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Revenge. Giants. Monsters. Chases. Escapes. True love. Miracles…oh wait, that’s from the Princess Bride.

Well, it’s right up there with that.

During an interview about his character, Depp mentioned that he used Rolling Stones’ guitarist Keith Richards as the inspiration for his Captain Jack Sparrow character.

I listen to the interview before I saw the movie and it actually helped me to enjoy the character even more. :)

Gasp! Can it be? Princess Bride is one of the greatest movies of all time!

It’s no Princess Bride. But it IS a really entertaining summer adventure movie with a great cast, great humor, interesting story, and pretty good special effects. I liked it a lot. Probably tied with Finding Nemo for best summer movie as far as I’m concerned. I like Orlando Bloom more each time I see him, although not in a gay way, and Johnny Depp owns every scene he’s in. I wonder how much of the character and dialog were his ideas versus how much was in the original script.

Its the best money I have spent this summer and I am including X2, Matrix Reloaded, Hulk, CA2-FT, Bruce Almighty in that list. Depp is just flat out excellent. The story is fun, the effects are great, the action keeps on moving…its all about what I want in the summer and it was a relatively original story for a movie based on a theme park ride.

Yeah, i was’nt expecting such a decent show from it, i was very pleased though.

I saw it last night, and it was a pretty enjoyable summer action/adventure flick. It certainly by all rights should have been much, much worse. :)

Depp really pulls the whole movie along. You could pretty much replace anyone else in the film with any other actor, and it would have been much the same–Geoffry Rush does a good job as well, but put anyone in the scraggy beard and have him say “YAAR!!” like that and it would be the same character. (that’s not as dumb as I made it sound, by the way)

Orlando Bloom is fine I suppose, but there’s just absolutely no heat between him and Keira Knightley. The love story doesn’t work, and I didn’t give a rat’s ass really.

I feel it really could have been a half hour shorter and been a better flick for it…they spend too much time orating in the cave and the love story could have been trimmed down, and I’m not sure we needed a token “goofball henchmen pair” on both the Royal and Pirate sides.

It’s a real travesty that the game is the way it is, because after seeing the movie it’s pretty clear that everyone wants to be Jack Sparrow, pulling off very narrow escapes and stealing ships and outwitting the Royal Navy and other pirates with crazy schemes. None of which is there.

Still, worth seeing. Unexpectadly watchable for sure, and I put it on about the same level with Terminator 3, which is also not “great cinema” but certainly worth the ticket price and time.

Hmm…that’s a good point. I was so amused by the movie that I didn’t notice this until you just pointed it out. Oh well.

Yeah, I noticed that myself, but the combination of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom’s being there probly got a tens of millions of dollars from teenage girls alone.

My guess is that most of Sparrow’s idiosyncracies came from Depp and were not on the page prior him becoming involved. It’s worth bearing in mind that Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio, who wrote the script, were doing on-location rewrites during much of the filming, and so they probably wrote a lot of stuff around Depp’s characterization as it played out (the notion of him being batty because of the heatstroke, for example).

Interesting piece in the Enquirer, of all places, which mentioned that Depp was apparently urged to tone his performance way down from what was originally a much broader, even more over-the-top characterization. Now THAT I would like to have seen…

A good movie but too long. A action flick like this should be 2 hours tops. Re-edit the movie to keep it to one trip to the island.

Ohh and could someone please tell Jerry Bruckheimer to find something else for the action music. If you close your eyes you could think your hearing The Rock or any of his other action movies.

Movie was WAY too long. The first half-hour was okay, but by the end I was like that colonist woman in Aliens shouting “kill meeeeee!!!”

I can’t believe so many people like this movie so much. You are all wrong.

Movie was WAY too long. The first half-hour was okay, but by the end I was like that colonist woman in Aliens shouting “kill meeeeee!!!”

I can’t believe so many people like this movie so much. You are all wrong.[/quote]

Master Blow’s notoriously small bladder strikes again…

Industry Dwarf
PS This movie is wonderful. Depp playing a Rolling Stone playing a pirate. Classic.

And not just teens.

I have four female friends, all in their 20s, who wanted to said they didn’t want to see it but “I will go see it for Orlando Bloom.” When I reminded them that Johnny Depp was in it as well, they all said something to the effect of “oh my god I totally forgot! Oh I’m totally going to go, I can’t believe they’re both in the same movie!” (paraphrasing, but not exaggerating)

Ohh and could someone please tell Jerry Bruckheimer to find something else for the action music. If you close your eyes you could think your hearing The Rock or any of his other action movies.

You know, I said this to myself about five times during the film. In fact it sounds SO much like The Rock, that I waited around through the credits to see if Harry Gregson-Williams did the music (he did not). There’s really absolutely no personality to the music at all. Plus, the main Terminator theme is absent from T3 (save for the credits), and it’s music is completely generic as well.

Y’know come to think of it, I don’t know if I’ve seen a movie all year with a memorable score.

The last really memorable score I heard was Cliff Martinez’s work on SOLARIS - hypnotic, mininalist and beautiful. Before that it was Thomas Newman’s ROAD TO PERDITION, although that too sounded a little similar to some of his earlier stuff.

And not just teens.

I have four female friends, all in their 20s, who wanted to said they didn’t want to see it but “I will go see it for Orlando Bloom.” When I reminded them that Johnny Depp was in it as well, they all said something to the effect of “oh my god I totally forgot! Oh I’m totally going to go, I can’t believe they’re both in the same movie!” (paraphrasing, but not exaggerating)[/quote]

Yeah, My mom would be able to be grouped into that, everyone wants a guy like them.