Play by Forum: Hexplore It - The Sands of Shurax

Agreed and vote against teleporting. This is our final event isn’t it?

It’s one of 400 optional rules the HEXplore It series layers on top of the 900 definitive rules and 300 expansion rules and 4000 combine-multiple-games-into-one rules and 12xinfinity monthly changing event rules, so, easy to miss, to say the least, hah!

I’ll also say this in favor of rolled rewards: it will help speed the pacing of the forum game by removing at least one decision space from our to-do pile >.>

edit: also, let’s go fight that fuckin mummy; SIX PLATINUM LORD

Roaming off the village - Wandering is one hex, Roaming is 1d6 hexes. And the gold with a + is 2 gold if you match Phorora’s reputation after the rep adjustment, zero if you don’t. (But you do.) I tend to agree that it’s a bad idea, in particular because Crystal Tower == Remnant (I wish they’d just use that term consistently, but I guess the idea may be to confirm that there is a harvestable Tower in the remnant even though it’s not placed by Ravager turn stuff.) and the Act II condition checks for Remnants anywhere on the board, not just the Wastes.

Incidentally, it totally didn’t matter but I forgot Melhin gave you a -2 bonus on both Energy and Explore tests, so those crits were even more critty.

It’s the default but it says right at the end of Rewards that you can optionally choose to award them to specific heroes - you make the choice one way or the other at the start. (But it hasn’t come up before now, so I didn’t worry about it.) We’re confirmed on random at this point though.

Yup.

Akbar tests Health and Energy (-2 bonus on Energy): 3, 7 (9-2). Success x2. 5 remaining Energy Drain taken.
I’ll assume @Thraeg does not dissent so Orion tests the same: 5, 1 (2-2). Success, Crit. Energy Drain cleared.

Caravan Journey finishes. Everyone takes +1 to Attack and Defend, +2 to Energy, and someone gets a Skyfire Crystal. You Teleport to Nemsynet and receive +2 to Rebellious.

If you wish to Journey with Melhin again, you can buy a Caravan Journey in Nemsynet and choose to use him as the Master.

Ravager Phase
The Ravager returns below the sands, leaving an enormous Crystal Tower in its wake, pulsing radiation into the Wastes.

(Every single one of these Remnant tiles is double-sided and has slightly different art in the real game. I didn’t scan most of them because it doesn’t actually matter.)

Turn 5
Movement Phase
I assume, having come here deliberately, you do not immediately turn around and leave Nemsynet, so:
Camping. 3 health and 3 energy healing. (Akbar as the only injured party heals 3 energy and gets 1 TP.)
No skill bonus in City-States. No Skills phase. No food consumed. No Circumstance Phase.

Event Phase
Each of you can select one of four City-State Actions to perform:
Schooling and Sparring: buy Gear Upgrades - in Nemsynet, that’s Energy, Attack, or Explore. As you are aligned with Nemsynet (Rebellious), you would receive a -1 gold discount.
Employ: work to earn gold. In Nemsynet, you entertain nobles. +3 gold, +2 for being aligned, +1 platinum and +6 gold if you are an Assist or Sapper. (Cheya or Orion.) If anyone does this you may optionally move your reputation one step horizontally towards Nemsynet. (Once regardless of how many people do this.)
Scarabs: gamble. (the sheet on how to do this is in the OP). Nemsynet is really into gambling so you get special bonuses.
Arena: another minigame, rules in the OP. Reputation from the Arena applies everywhere but Tarri, which has separate Arena reputation (but Tarri rep gains apply everywhere).

At any time while you’re here you may purchase any item from the Bazaar or Nemsynet city list (check the expansion rulebook also). But be warned that buying stuff in Nemsynet may get you mugged - see the Danger on the City sheet.

I’m going to entertain the masses with my whip tricks.

And after that, I’d like to purchase the Dust Skimmer, Survival Kit and Extraction Tools for the group: total cost is 52 gold I believe. And I think I’d also like to grab 3 Hypersense Tonics, 2 Hardy Rations, and 3 Poutlices for a total of 13 more.

EDIT: Wait on all that. Let me look at the mugging risk.

EDIT2: What do the guard enemies look like?

EDIT3: Oh sorry, I see the guard event now on the Bazaar placard.

From what I can tell, the brigands can be bribed to leave us alone, which would be cheaper than forking over 10% of our gold.

So, I’d like to go ahead with my shopping, and throw in a Weighted Dice and a Sphinx Blood Booster as well.

EDIT: And now I see that platinum is not fungible. So I can only spend the gold I have. Let me rethink.

I will save my platinum as it might be useful later. However I believe I still have 17g after entertaining. So I will purchase a Survival Kit, 2 Spell Components and 2 Poultices, leaving me with 5g.

I presume the pickpockets can’t get my Platinum and I can’t see anything about the bribe cost. If I am just missing it then I will adjust as needed rather than fight the Guards. Losing 10% of 5g to the pickpockets seems ok!

I’ll have 17 gold as well. Can I suggest pooling our gold to purchase either the Dust Skimmer or Extraction Tools?

The Platinum is group-wide, not individual. :)

Happy to give my last 5g towards the Dust Skimmer

Double-checking my math - you all spent effectively 3 gold a piece on food, bribing and potion and then got 3 gold each from the Pangolin, so I think before you start working etc you should be at 6/6/10/10 gold or 32 total party-wide, yes? Working from the two folks that have the Employ bonus will generate another 22. if you all do it, another 10. FWIW.

I just trusted the 6g that was on my character sheet was my initial amount. I will drop Spell components and Poultices in that order to make up any shortfall needed. Would like to keep the Survival Kit though, the energy healing per turn is useful for me.

Survival Kits are very good. They also knock food off the Caravan events. Speaking of which, forgot to do 2 off each person for that. Fixing.

Well, I wouldn’t mind getting some other stuff, but I think the Dust Skimmer will be useful, so I’ll chip in the remaining 15g for that (unless Orion and/or Chiminy also want to contribute.) I’ll spend my remaining 2g on a Hypersense Tonic; no sense in leaving any in my satchel for the guards to steal. If Orion or Chiminy want to chip in for the skimmer, I’ll re-evaluate.

I’ll also work as an entertainer here :)

I believe that will bring me to 15 gold total

I’m in to contribute to buying a Dust Skimmer (10 gold remaining). I’d like to buy a Survival Kit (4 gold remaining). I also think I want a Territory Map to help stave off the Ravager advancing another Phase (1 gold left).

If the group wants to start harvesting Ravager Crystals, I’ll spend the 6 gold on Extraction Tools rather than the Survival Kit, but that would be a huge investment for most folks (11 total between Skimmers and Tools!), so I would understand if we wanna wait till the next time we’re in town.

Where is this item?

If Chiminy is pitching in for the skimmmer, I’ll use the 5g that frees up to purchase a Sphinx Blood Booster and a Poultice.

There are items in the expansion rulebook, pages 14-16. Bazaar items on 14, Nemsynet on 16.

One of my criticisms of these games is that the expansions tend to add a bunch of mechanics that aren’t referenced anywhere outside of the expansion rulebook and it’s easy to miss/forget about them.

Ah ok, thanks. Those don’t change my shopping choices.

I looked at the rules for Scarabs, then my head exploded.

It’s not bad. You roll three 4-sided dice each round, 2 of which are orange. If any orange die rolls a hex (because that’s Nemsynet’s house number) you get a strike. 3 strikes and you lose all bets on the table.

• The Oasis costs 10 to enter and pays out after 4 or more rolls. (Chance of surviving 4 rounds is slightly less than 40%. But since it pays out 2.5:1 after 4 rounds, this is actually a good bet where you could beat the house.)
  • The Dunes are just like a craps bet on a number. You can let your bet ride as long as you don’t strike out. It pays 1:1 if the sum of the dice matches your number. No odds, which means I’m not sure why you wouldn’t always bet 7 or 8. If strikeout wasn’t a possibility, this would be better than even odds after 4 rolls. With strikeout, it’s an awful bet.
  • The Peaks is only on a single roll and pays out 10:1 if you get triples (which is a terrible bet with odds 16:1 against.)
  • You also get 5 gold if you roll a 4 or an 11 on any roll. Chance of this on any particular roll is about 9%.
  • And you double your winnings if you win with a hex on the black die.
  • You can also bet on the outcome of an arena fight.

Long story short, this looks like a fool’s game, except for the oasis and maybe the arena, but I don’t know enough about how the arena works to know how predictable it is.