Play by Forum: Hexplore It - The Sands of Shurax

New HOTtiles in default orientation.
Bosses 3 and 7:

I went ahead and assumed @ArmandoPenblade is okay with the food transfer since Chimminy doesn’t eat.

The spooooooky ghostly Caravan Master is:

Their random destination is: Tarri. (You probably don’t want to go there at the moment, for multiple reasons.)

First Caravan Event is:

At this point I have all three games scanned so, here is a link to an IMGUR album with all the markets from volumes 1 and 2 (don’t forget there are also things that can be bought listed in expansion rulebooks, which are publically accessible): Imgur: The magic of the Internet

So, should only take all weekend to sort through that… :P

I’m traveling this weekend, so sorting through a lot of complexity isn’t in the cards for me right now. I’m glad to dedicate Chimminy bucks and food to helping others acquire whatever the group feels is best. I’d generally recommend harvesting tools and maybe another movement-booster, if they stack (I think most of the volumes have one available). We may want to head to Phorora at some point, if we have enough Knowledge to drop off and get a cool bonus yet. I’m interested in fighting a boss, revealing more terrain, and harvesting crystals, in general, as Wastes pursuit post-Caravan.

They stack.

Note that the Global Market of Dria is not the same as the Bazaar and you can’t just freely buy Bazaar items there. You can explicitly buy items from any Hexplore It volume via the Global market, so you can buy Sands of Shurax stuff, both from the Bazaar and from any of the City-States, but it’s subject to the explore check stuff to actually locate.

Hilariously, though, because this is a special supernatural ghost caravan journey, you don’t have to worry about the food cost of doing multiple Explore rolls. :)

Luck Stones are baller for clearing out shit Circumstances. Buying a Heart of the Forest from the Waypost and spending it on a Ring of Ways at the Grove is a free teleport every round. Elven Riding saddles are my rec for movement increase. Bone Bowl from Bezzelquark’s CAN get hilarious with luck, but it’s super unreliable for the cost. But cmon, who doesn’t wanna deal 24 Favored Enemy damage off a couple of lucky Hexplosions??

@Matt_W, @ormus, @thraeg, thoughts on this event and any purchases (or the HOTtile orientation)?

Sorry, was out doing a quick overnight family backpacking trip. I’ll take a look at this tomorrow morning.

OK, we have a total of 105 gold between us. But we also have to roll explore successes. If we spend more than 30 gold we have to have 3 successes. Assuming we give all our weighted dice to Chiminy, he’d have 6 rolls, with a 50% chance each. Getting 3 successes is about a 65% probability. With Chiminy’s racial ability, the chance is about 93% (of getting three rolls of 7 or below.) OK, not bad.

• I agree with Armando that the Elven Riding Saddles are the best bet for increasing movement. They cost a total of 16g.
  • And Extraction Tools are a good idea. Cost is 24g.
  • Might be a good idea to buy a Revival Ritual for 12g?
  • And the Bone Bowl, which increases favored opponent dice to d10 for a total of 32g?
  • Good idea per Armando to grab a couple of Luck Stones for 2g each
  • And maybe Camping Gear or Wayfarer’s Cloak for each of us? (4g each)
  • Unfortunately, I don’t think we can get the Ring of Ways because it doesn’t have a gold cost.

The currency it costs, Hearts of the Forest, can be purchased, and then used to buy it.

But the Dria Global Markets specify the item has to have a Gold cost to be found there.

Woops.

Though I’d argue the ring DOES have a gold value: the cost of a single Heart of the Forest :-D

If I’d read that part I’d have just skipped the grove placard. Nothin’ gold based there.

Sorry was very busy over the weekend. I volunteer occasionally for the RNLI (lifeboat) and we had a Bank Holiday here and it was hot and I live on a holiday island, so I was called in.

Just going to go with the flow for now, seems good. Will be able to spend more time studying the situation soon!

I missed this - that’s not how this works. Each hero gets one Explore roll and successes count for the group. Also, you have just two Weighted Dice unless I’m missing something. (Though you could certainly use Soaring City rerolls.)

In any case, here’s the preliminary roll results:
Cheya: 10
Akbar: 9
Orion: 6
Chimminy: 6. This is the only roll within 2 of success.

I’ll go ahead and reroll the 10 and 9 with Weighted Dice: 7, 3.
Okay, crits count for two, so I’ll have Akbar and Chimminy each spend 3 energy to reduce their rolls to 4 (success) and 1 (crit success) respectively, for your 3. (Let me know if you want to adjust that, but Akbar benefits from healing energy and that requires spending some… )

So you have your full shopping list above.

Next event:

The other Caravan Master is:

and is going to Phorora.
Do you join him?

Iiiii think not, lol

But he means well!

Lol, that’s hilarious. This game is really good at these mini narratives.

lol, yep! We’re playing a gambler/merchant party right now, and it’s been a comedy of hasty retreats and fast talk and strange outcomes. Really loving it.

Ok, next event:

I checked, this is a different card than the last Black Pyramid one.
Who’s stepping up, and do you want to teleport to the Pyramid?

…anyone?

Oops. I don’t really wanna leave the caravan, but I’ll gladly tackle the first go on the challenge unless someone else dwarfs me in stats.