PlayStation 5

The PS4 is a pretty darn good machine for apps and for games, so I would love to have even a weak justification to have a PS4 and PS5 in two parts of the house.

Sure, I get that backward compatibility with all generations may be a pipe dream. They haven’t really detailed what their BC strategy is, maybe it’s still being worked on. In the meantime, I’ll daydream. And wonder when my PS2 slim is going to finally give up the ghost.

It will be fully BC to the PS4 since its just a faster PS4 like a new PC is. PS3 and PS2 BC? Sign up for Playstation Now.

Yes, I expect full native backwards compatibility with PS4. No compatibility list, no translation needed, everything just works. Forwards compatibility is the real question mark.

If it runs all my small collection of PS4 library straight up faster with no faffing about and has better battery life on the controller that’d be enough for day one.

I’m still on my launch day PS4, so even if there’s no system moving exclusive that would be adequate for me to trade mine and upgrade.

BC with PS4 is what could get me to switch sides this next gen.

It’s guaranteed that PS5 will be backward compatible with the entire PS4 library. That’s one thing you can take to the bank.

It’s very possible this will be the first iteration of a current console that I get within a year of it’s release. I got the Wii, but it was a delightful gift I didn’t buy myself… naturally gaming companies seem to have a weird tendency of shooting themselves in the foot, so who knows for sure!

I’m tempted to sell my PS4 Pro in the near future before the value tanks. I haven’t fired it up in a while because of the massive backlog I have for… every other platform and with the promised enhancements at least WRT load times I’m content waiting for the next system. Would love to see the PS5 pricing and some other details before I make that decision though. At $600 I’d be content to stick with the Pro for a bit longer.

Yep. It will be a straight upgrade to the PS4/PS4 Pro. Whether games are upgraded to take advantage of the better hardware is another question. Like the PS4 Pro/XboneX, some will and some won’t.

My question will be do I buy in early or just wait for the inevitable second, better “Pro” or whatever version that comes out in a few years.

Yeah, I’m planning on getting rid of mine very soon.

I just don’t know if I should plow through the backlog first or ideally save them for next gen. I won’t miss too many of the PS4 exclusives if it doesn’t go BC. Still got my PS3 for the Motorstorms and a dozen others.

Depends if there are any games that you really have to play or not.

Kinda surprised this wasn’t posted yet. CES is happening and Sony was there. Not a ton of info, but here are two small bits…

Logo

I’m happy with that first slide they showed because it confirms for sure that PS5 will be my Ultra HD movie player if I choose to buy discs in the future. The rest was mostly known info already.

So no new info about backward compatibility yet?

No. CES isn’t the place for that sort of thing, but realistically you can bet on PS4 for sure and the rest, who knows?

BC is really the only thing I care about. I could retire two aging consoles and try out the libraries of two more.

Whats an ULTRA HIGH SPEED ssd?

Good question. We’ll probably find out when the full hardware specs are revealed!

It’s probably like blast processing.