PlayStation 5

I think the term “rental” means something else entirely to the majority of people. It means you have it for a very finite amount of time and would have to pay again within, say, two to five days, to rent it again.

That’s especially true since PS Plus is required for online play in all but the F2P games. With so many games having an online component, even games like Demon’s Souls, it’s likely not something you want to pass on.

I think they’re just using the term rental to suggest that you don’t actually have any ownership of the games, and they’re just being granted as part of the subscription.

Also, I think maybe part of this is because “rentals” for media have largely been replaced by streaming services, but maybe the terminology is sticking around.

I get where you’re coming from here… certainly, it’s where I am. I don’t really need PSNow, because I generally already played most of those older PS games. And I play tons of online games, so I kind of need PS+.

But at the same time, I can appreciate how someone else who doesn’t really engage in online gaming, and who all those old PS games would be cool (they’re old, but a lot of them are classics that should be played once).

Although some of this is moot, right?

I mean, it’s not like you have to pick one service and be locked in.

You can totally sub to PSNow for a month, play those old games if you want, and then when you’re done… drop the sub. Likewise, if you want to play online games, you can always sub to PS+.

Frankly, I’d be surprised if Sony doesn’t eventually just merge their two things into something akin to XBox’s gamepass. I suspect they’ll eventually do something like that, and then you’ll be able to just get the best of both. Sony is likely already considering this, and just trying to figure out the financial logistics.

I save enough just with PS Plus exclusive discounts in the PlayStation Store to pay for the sub each year, making it a total no brainer even if multiplayer was not a factor. My personal PS+ game library is also huge. Like, twice as large as the current GamePass library, so that alone would make carrying a subscription worth it for me.

I think PS Now is a good service, too, but for someone with a new PS5 just catching up on PlayStation stuff, working your way through the PlayStation Plus collection is probably the best place to start. Maybe look into PS Now after you’ve exhausted that well.

That’s true. I didn’t even think about the extra discounts you get with PS Plus. Even something like Deathloop, which I will definitely play, has a discount if you pre-order while you have a PS Plus account.

With all due respect to you guys telling me to go back and play PS3 games. I bought this thing for the graphics! I don’t want to play 10 year old games on it! Unless they are just that good I shouldn’t miss, I guess.

Thanks for all the input…will do some thinking and research to determine what is best for me.

I don’t think anyone was really pushing PS3 games, though of Last of Us Remastered which is a PS4 version of a PS3 game and is worth playing for sure.

Also, as to the PS4 game some still look great, and more so if they have a PS5 60fps patch. God of War and Ghost of Tsushima both look basically next gen IMO.

Here’s some shots from Ghost I took, and I already posted a Digital Foundry God of War video upthread.

Re: Plus, double discount sale starts tomorrow.
Here’s the titles, prices aren’t live yet. Dreams should be at a new low.

Try Horizon Zero Dawn if you get Now. I think that’s the best looking game on there.
Killzone Shadowfall was visually stunning when it was released.

Both services have Until Dawn and Detroit. They look amazing.
Bloodborne too for the spooky art direction.

Picked up Dreams from today’s PS sale. $10 is a bargain for this title based on what I’ve heard!

It is! I’m buying a digital copy… it’s something I use more often than I thought I would.

Lots of great little experiences and PSVR stuff.

There’s another sale going on at the same time, it’s easier to look at them here:

Another new low is Injustice 2. I’d recommend grabbing the legendary version later though if anyone enjoys these types of games. It adds a few extra characters like Hellboy & Ninja Turtles. This price seems suspiciously low so it might end up being PS+ very soon.

I also saw there’s a discounted month of EA play. It might be worth it to someone just for Star Wars Battlefront 1’s PSVR exclusive mission. It’s only around 20 minutes, but neato.

Ending tomorrow - Critic sale with a lot of great indie deals:

I just waited 15 minutes to get to this screen, now I have to wait an hour + ?? This is silly.

Edit: just changed from. 1h + to 20 min.

My understanding is that everyone in the room after the 15 minutes is placed in a randomized queue. So having an hour just means you didn’t win the lottery this time around, and it will probably sell out before you get in.

This is annoying, but helps avoid the issue with other stores where it’s first-come-first-served, which in practice means only bots get them. With this, there’s a long enough window that humans can at least have a fair shot at the stock.

Failed anyway. Once I got in it said I needed to log in to make the purchase, but I was already logged in in a separate tab and the log in button was grayed out.

I would have thought being logged in on any tab would count. Did you see neither an Out of Stock nor an Add Item message in the console listing?

I finally saw the queue form, receive an initial wait time less than an hour, and even have the store load. Only disc-less remained, so I had to remind myself I have this big bunch of Black Friday PS4 games on physical media I want to install on the future PS5. I guess it’s close to winning the lottery at the lowest level that gives another ticket.

I was kind of curious about this. What kind of deals are there? New games? DLC discounts? Hardware? I am kind of leaning towards Plus for the cloud save, and what appears to be a couple of newer games every month. If the discounts are good, that will push me over the edge.

The Horizon game that is coming soon made me check this out and it looks really good. So I started evaluating getting Now, or buying the game for $20. Now just doesn’t have lot of stuff that looks exciting to me, so I think I am going to just get it for $20.

If I did go for a Souls game, which is the easier game to get into Demon Soul or Nioh 2? I think they both might be too frustrating, but I am curious.

Got to say, the $70 price tags on new games is really killing impulse buys.

You made me curious, but it doesn’t seem to be available outside of Now. Only a newer PS4 game. Is the PS4 one not as good as A Crack in Time?

Nioh 2 isn’t really a graphics showpiece which I recall you were looking for. Even by PS4 standards it’s just an ok looking game.

Maybe neither? If you’re curious about that type of game, you might be better off getting a cheap last-gen title like Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3. Or just look at pretty graphics in Demon’s Souls while you are also bewildered.

I just don’t really want to play older games on it, unless they are an absolute should not miss game. I am I at that new console stage where I want to see pretty graphics though, yeah. PS4 games are fine. Thought Nioh 2 looked nice in videos.

Shows how little I have played PS systems, I have 2 friends from 2008. Anyone looking for more friends I am LeeAbe51. Not looking for multiplayer, just like to see what people are playing so I know what I should check out.

I didn’t care for the newer one, no. It’s a more standard game. You run around and kill enemies and jump on stuff, ride on rails and collect bolts. It’s ok.

Sadly A Crack in Time is only on PS3. It’s the best PS3 exclusive, IMHO. But that means it’s not playable on PS4 or PS5. But you can stream it through PS Now, which let’s you play it remotely on a PS3 on a server somewhere.

Demon’s Souls, definitely. The Nioh games are a lot more technical and punishing.