PlayStation 5

It’s back up

Small change I noticed: one of the recent firmware updates added some granularity to the HDMI CEC options, letting you choose if powering on the PS5 turns on your other devices and if turning your other devices off puts the PS5 into rest mode. Which is huge given the initial implementation would turn the system off and make you run through storage maintenance on next boot. A welcome addition.

We shall make it … smaller … inside.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-10/sony-warns-tight-playstation-5-supply-to-extend-into-next-year

This headline is a bit misleading because what Sony actually says is that even if they manage to build way more PS5s than they did PS4s, the demand is so high it still won’t be satisfied. From what I read the “intent to purchase” for PS5 this early in the gen is just at an unprecedented level.

I am seeing PS5s on Sears website but they are all expensive bundles.

They’re reseller bundles and are dramatically overpriced. I’m not desperate enough to overpay for one of these by $600.

I figured I’d wait out the rush and snag one sometime this year. I guess I was sorely mistaken as I’ve only seen it once where I could buy it and it was an expensive Gamestop bundle. Looks like I’m waiting until 2022 when maybe it will be available? :)

It’s really a shame this is so hard for people to get. It’s a fantastic system and the first one in my life that makes me consider getting games on console rather than PC when both are available. (Always been a PC guy).

If Windows would get it’s gaming HDR in shape, it would be a much easier decision for me in terms of console non-exclusives. But the PS 4 Pro and 5 have spoiled me, and it can be hard to choose between super-hi res and that lovely, lovely lighting.

Agreed, pair it with an OLED and it’s a thing of beauty

HDR is a massive upgrade. If you’ve never seen it in person for games, I don’t think you can understand the value of it. It makes that much of a difference IMO.

I’d just like to see Sony embrace the higher than 60 framerates that Microsoft is doing with Series X on games that can support it. They really don’t need to because they’re going to sell PS5s with or without it, but it would be a really nice addition that would give them feature parity. I’m specifically thinking the Battlefield games and Warzone for me selfishly. I have the TV for it. I love the option in Cold War.

I got one of those PS5’s for my daughter from Sony Direct a few months back and got in again a week ago but could not buy since I already bought one under that PSN account…so annoying…they should at least let you buy a few under an account seeing as how we all have kids and we are kids too!

She was going to call Sony headquarters and demand a PS5 for me but I talked her out of that one.

She can buy yours under her PSN.

They actually check by address too. I ran into the same issue when trying to get one for a family member, but was able to get it to work by using a different PSN account and also having it delivered to a different address.

I actually texted her while I was in the store but she was in online school and didn’t see my text. Augh.

Same - in fact I pre-ordered Mass Effect Legendary Edition for the PS5 - just to play it on the OLED with HDR, and I don’t expect any compromises between what I could have had on PC, either. Kind of a no brainer, honestly. It’s wild to me that happened, but here we are. PS5 is incredible. Everything I’ve played on it has had its hooks in me from start to finish.

That’s funny, I ended up on the other side of that decision and got it for PC. Ultrawide and possible mods pushed me to pick that over HDR.

That makes sense. I’m not on the Ultrawide bandwagon (yet) and mods have never been super interesting to me, so I think I’m good. I do see the game is 40GB larger on PC than on PS4/5 so I wonder if the textures are higher quality on PC, which would affect me, haha, but I’m committed now!