PlayStation 5

Colleague of mine had put in a pre-order through Sony Europe’s official program prior to the PS5’s launch. Just waited, couldn’t be bothered to permanently scan the internet for offers or pay extra money to scalpers. 3 weeks ago he got an email about a specific order window for him coming up. Since last week he’s a PS5 owner. Took only 1.5 years.

It “only” took me about three weeks of monitoring a couple Discords to snag one, but it did help that I was working from home so could jump on the alerts ASAP. Series X was even quicker - managed to get two within a few days of each other after monitoring for a week or so.

Is this not just scalpers?

First look: the headset design for PlayStation VR2 – PlayStation.Blog?

Our goal is to create a headset that will not only become an attractive part of your living room decor,

lol

The flip up design that’s resting on your forehead instead of your face is a good plan.

Hopefully it will accommodate glasses wearers.

I like that Sony took ventilation into consideration. These things can get hot.

If it’s PC-compatible, this will be a must-buy for me.

This will probably get me in on buying a PS5 at some point, since MS has just completely abandoned the space. The other options for VR seem to be:

• a high-end gaming pc (not gonna happen), or
  • Oculus, which is a no-go since FB owns them (I refuse to give that company money)

anything else I’m missing?

Not of note, at least until Apple releases its thing. There are a handful of standalone headsets other than the Quest, but none seem to have any traction.

Yeah I wonder how it works. It seems to just use a single USB-C cable, so is that using Thunderbolt or something proprietary, or doing a video streaming thing like Quest does when hooked to a PC?

I mean, it’s probably using displayport over USB-C to send the video. The problem is there won’t be any drivers for Windows to do things like process the motion data for tracking.

Ah of course, thanks - for some reason I forgot Displayport worked over USB-C too!

The PSVR eventually got some third party PC drivers, unsure how well they worked though.

Sony also supports OpenXR, so I wonder if PSVR2 games would be made with that API.

Not well, last time I checked.

State of Play airing now.

First up - Exoprimal, a new IP from Capcom that looked interesting.

Next up - Tokyo Ghostwire. It looks like a lot of fun! March 25th.

Next up I think this is the Final Fantasy 1 re-imagine (Stranger of Paradise). Yeah it is. It looks good, demo available today now. Not sure if it’s my thing, but I’ll probably at least try the demo. That’s how I fell into love with the Final Fantasy VII Remaster, the demo, after all.

Forspoken (recently delayed I think?) is looking really freaking cool, too. Yeah, Oct 11th now.

Next up Gundam Evolution that’s a multiplayer shooter I can safely ignore.

TMNT side scroller action old-school games in a bundle.

Some sort of mutliplayer thing I’ll ignore - looks like 3v1. Gigabash. Kiaju brawler.

Now we have “not actual gameplay” of a fighting game. One of the fighters in this game is so cool he keeps his hands in his pockets the entire time he fights. It’s the most Japan! thing I’ve seen in a good while. Jo Jo’s All Star Battle.

Whatever this is it’s gorgeous. Black and White Samura action. Trek to Yomi it’s called. Strong Ghosts of Tsushima played in black and white mode vibes.

Now we’re 15 min into this 20 min presentation and it looks like that space suit lady Rogue game I still haven’t played. Returnal. Maybe DLC? Yeah, multiplayer/co-op looks like. “Ascention” update. Campaign Co-op AND a survival mode.

First look at two brand new games from Square…?

The first one is Not Actual Gameplay video but I like the look of whatever it is. Real Time with Pause? Seems like it could be really interesting. Still don’t know what it is though. Strong strategy game vibes, but with a bit more action combat? But tactical. Neat story? It’s… The DioField Chronicle. Interesting. One to keep an eye out for.

Last game is… Not Final Fantasy XVI so I don’t know if I care. A lady that runs with her arms out and behind her like Barry from The Goldbergs. This is some sort of action RPG that has a very cell-shaded look to the visuals (lots of black lines outlining art assets) that I’m not sure I like. Meh. It’s called Valkyrie Elysium. It honestly looks like a 7 out of 10 kind of game, if you know what I mean.

That’s a wrap. No Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster reveal or any news once again on FF16. Ah well.

I signed up on the Sony site to be notified in the (probably not at all likely) event of being “selected” to be able to buy a PS5. I am not holding my breath.

It works. Just give it some time.

I don’t think I’ve seen a single game that’s harder on video compression codecs than Forspoken. Can’t wait to see it natively coming out of a PS5.

I really like the diorama/game piece aesthetic they’re using for this game. The name manages to be even worse than Triangle Strategy, though. Feels like they just skipped the “Project DioField” phase and went straight to using the codename as the final title here.

Oh, I’m fine with waiting, as long as the PS6 doesn’t come out first!

I got both a PS5 and XSX on their respective launch days. Apparently I should’ve also purchased a lotto ticket that week.

Smart move on the breath.

I signed up for that months ago (October I think). I finally got my selection invite a few weeks ago, waited for my personal window…and then couldn’t get into the event for 30 minutes due to site issues, waited in queue, got mine added to cart, but couldn’t check out since it was out of stock when I finally could do that step. I also learned that influencers spam out straight to checkout codes. I’ve accepted that the PS5 has not been released to the general public yet. The only way to get one is to chase influencers or to pay a scalper.