PlayStation 5

Sony isn’t the one having to develop and test at that target; devs are. Devs could likely implement this if there was a will to do so, but it would simply add more work for what is likely seen as little payoff. Consoles were already supposed to be simpler to dev for given fixed hardware, but so far this gen, we’ve got consumer expectations now set that even console games let users choose some elements of graphics options, and if they’re cross platform they’re targeting three hardware SKUs (PS5, XBSX and XBSS) with potentially multiple settings per platform. Woe betide them if they’re cross gen, where you then introduce PS4, PS4 Pro, XB1S, and XB1X as well.

32 inch gaming monitor is the only way to game. :) If I were using my tv I would get about 1 hour a week of screen time.

If a game’s already developed for cross-gen or ported to PC, then it seems like the dev has 90% of the infrastructure built and processes in place this mode. But, I would make an even stronger argument. Other than someone testing such as Digital Foundry, they could make 1080p the only resolution and people playing on TVs wouldn’t notice. (To @Octavious230’s point, I only have a guess that it’s a very few percent of people hooking the PS5 up to a TV.)

Looking at Cyberpunk 2077, CDPR has a bunch of toggles. All these small settings to tweak, so presumably this QA burden, but not one 1080p mode. Why isn’t this large segment of viewers getting all the performance? I know games do have lower-resolution renders that get upscaled, so it’s not impossible to render less than 4K.

Okay, I’ll see if anyone ever wrote about why this is the case.

Consumer expectations - not necessarily reflected in reality - are a thing. The new consoles support 4k, and gamers are expecting them to hit that resolution. Granted, they’re generally using anti aliasing and resolution scaling to get there, but I don’t think you could release most games at just 1080p and expect people not to yell about it - even if, as you say, they’re not really going to notice much of a difference in actual play. I don’t think your desire is realistic given how these devices are marketed, and how games are judged by the public (again - not taking reality into account, just perception and attitude).

I personally can’t see how it would be much of a burden for them to support it, but I’m also not a software developer.

Huh, I don’t find anyone explaining why there’s not my desired mode. I do understand there’s a manufactured consumer expectation for 4K. I’m sadder and sadder that those expectations seem to have caused there to be zero support for an optimal 1080p mode.

I do think the cost to enable it would be quite small. Polygon says this about Horizon Forbidden West:

The game uses dynamic resolution in all graphics modes, scaling the image “where needed” to maintain the target frame rate in question, according to Sony.

Top-end, internal developers already have sensing and scaling, and apply changes dynamically. I don’t know the extent those are features in engines like UE4 or Unity.

Okay, unless there’s a person with influence I can bug to raise the standard, I’ll let this go. Sadder and sadder.

I guess I don’t really see what you’re shooting for here. Most of the bigger budget new titles generally have two modes on the new platforms - fidelity, or performance, usually trying to reach one of two framerate targets (with framerate generally being a factor of the common display types, meaning you’re shooting for 30, 60, or 120, let’s disregard VRR). I guess you’re asking why you can’t get fidelity mode at 1080p, which would likely then lock to 60? I suppose I could see that being an option, but my guess is there’s just not a lot of expressed desire for it online, so there’s little support for it behind the scenes.

Exactly, I’m asking for 1080p at 60fps with the quality mode features (ray-traced reflections, for instance). To dream…

Yeah, I get that. I doubt we’ll see much of that. I can certainly understand the sentiment, though.

The funny thing is that they kind of have to do that on the Series S since it’s so underpowered compared to the Series X.

Yes but you’re not getting all the quality mode features on the series s.

Seems likely that they expect consumers who really care about graphical fidelity the most to also be people who have a 4k TV.

That’s more like it :)

HFW for now please :)

Darn it, they need to add Elden Ring to that list! Glad to see that’s an option on PS5 now though!

You can force VRR on games without explicit support as well.

Is the supply of these getting any less tight, or am I gonna have to wait till the PS6 is being sold to get one?
Any plans at all to get some backward compatibility built into the thing, or is that something they gave up on mid-PS3 cycle and are never going back to?

I think it’s getting better based on more in store releases. Ex: Every Gamestop had some in store for sale this last Saturday. My closest one had 5 . If I could buy one off the shelf I prolly would have one by now because I am impulsive at times. However, having to “work” to get one means I just cant be bothered as by the time I get setup to get one I get distracted by…oh look a shiny rock.

Following Wario64 on twitter gives me the impression it’s getting easier to find these, but you still need to be actively following someone or signed up for alerts to get in on another round of availability.

PS5 has PS4 compatibility, I believe PS3 compatibility will remain a non-starter for hardware architecture reasons. PS2/PS1 backward compatibility as an unrestricted feature of the system seems unlikely but those games may be playable through emulation (as opposed to steaming) as part of the new subscription plans, I’m not certain.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I figured as much about the PS3 stuff. But everything made for the PS4 will work on the PS5, right? Disc-based or no (like PS4 games in my Sony online library)? I realize that some of the bells and whistles of remastered versions wouldn’t be available (say for Ghost of Tsushima or Spider-Man).