PlayStation 5

I think maybe, hopefully, the PS6 will be powerful enough to emulate the amazing Cell processor of the PS3 and we can get good emulation.

All PS4 games work on PS5 and run as the Pro versions of the PS4 games. You get all the good stuff except for what is in any PS5 re-release of a game from that generation.

If you get PlayStation Plus for online gaming, you also get access to the PS Plus Collection of PS4 games. All yours as long as you subscribe.

Yup, with like literally only a handful of exceptions:

The PS5 is powerful enough to do it. At this point it’s a business decision.

The Digital Foundry guys didn’t seem to think it was. Remember they have that PC equivalent of a PS5, and they tried running the PS3 PC emulator on that and it performed really really poorly. They figured Sony can do better than that, but by how much? So they concluded it would probably not be an easy task.

Yeah, they just mentioned that again in a video today; the focus was on whether the PS3 emulator on PC could get Metal Gear Solid 4 running at 4K/60fps, but in passing again mention their doubts at the PS5 being able to emulate the PS3.

So I accidentally bought a PS5 on Stockx yesterday :) Ok I meant to put a bid for shits and giggles in but It was pretty low compared to every other one and yet late last night it triggered…shrug. I did better on the Quest 2 I got under MSRP but $606 for a hassle free PS5 I don’t feel too fleeced. Now to tell the wife I bought myself a house warming present for our new place we moving into at end of month. First playstation since #3; Spiderman here I come!

Same here! Congrats on the acquisition. And may your wife’s wrath be gentle, if at all. ;-)

She gets a new bathroom and closet, I get the PS5 and a new TV. Fair trade, though she only knows about the TV :) That and our current house sold for 28% over asking so we got a little extra move in money…this market is nutz :)

Oh nice. You’ve got a whole lot of great first party games. If you like 3rd person adventures, PS4 first party library is fantastic. And I think they’re all part of the PS collection, for the most part, so you don’t even have to buy anything.

I’m not tempted by the PS5 yet (except for Demon’s Souls Remake), but I feel that might change once they come out with their new VR kit.

FINALLY managed to snag one of these thanks to a PS5 bundle. It’s still going on as of posting, so if you’re looking, hop quick. Not a BJ’s member? I wasn’t either, but you can sign up for a day pass.

And that BJs bundle comes on the heels of a Sams Club bundle that went up late last night (in the States) and stayed up for a few hours.

Sounds like more consoles are entering the pipeline for the elusive PS5.

Honestly, there’s not a critical mass of PS5-only games yet. I have one because I managed to get one at MSRP from Best Buy and am a gadget freak. But I can’t say it’s threatening my Xbox series X/S for play time.

I was able to get my kid a PS5 during the early days with some amazing luck and then went months without my own so I caved and bought one through Stock X. Paid quite a premium but also have played a few hundred hours with it now so to me it was totally worth it. Have fun!!!

Wow this thing is already showing up today. That is less than 48 hours from winning the bid on Stockx to delivery. I guess I need to join the PS + thingie today and maybe go by Gamestop.

Now Costco needs to get in on the act. Remind me, PS4 discs work with PS5’s right? But if one buys a disc-less PS5, there’s no way owned discs can become associated with one’s Playstation account and downloaded, is there?

Correct. Do you own a lot of PS4 discs?

Not a whole lot. Let’s see: Spider-Man, TLoU Remastered, RDR2, God of War (as in “Dad of War”), Horizon Zero Dawn Complete, and of course Ghost of Tsushima. My PS4 is a Pro, thank goodness, so I’m not in a big hurry. Nothing that’s PS5 exclusive is making me drool or anything. If they ever somehow figure out how to emulate PS3 hardware on a PS5 it’ll give me a lot more incentive (I don’t even know if my old Dual Shock 3 controller can still be recharged-- I doubt it-- I bought the PS3 Slim in the waning days of 2010).

BTW I enjoyed the Ratchet and Clank games I played. Did they ever remaster some of the PS3 ones for PS4?

My experience with moving from a PS4 Pro to a PS5 is that I don’t think I can go back and play games at 30fps. Most PS5-enabled games give you 60fps, and I’m completely spoiled by that now.

Plus the loading times are so much better even on untouched PS4 games.