PlayStation 5

About time Sony built a controller with back paddles, this is a very welcome addition. A little dissappointed they only seem to have 2 paddles, but that’s still better than none.

Are the sticks actually removable like that, or is that just a CGI marketing thing? If they can be removed, that’s kind of cool, although also kind of bad if it’s a workaround to stick drift, instead of just using sensors that don’t suffer from that kind of thing.

Still, overall a very welcome addition.

That’s interesting, I didn’t realize SCUF had an actual patent for that, although it makes sense in retrospect. I’m curious what exactly their patent covers.

That said, there are already lots of other companies who make these kinds of controllers. The limitation of all of them has always been that they were unable to use Sony’s low latency connection to the Playstation. This meant that the controllers with back buttons were either wired, or used USB dongles and always suffered from unplayable latency issues, or were like SCUF’s where they were literally modded Sony controllers.

Whatever it covers, it enabled them to sue Valve for the Steam Controller (and win), and Microsoft pays a fee to them for every Elite sold. I would guess Sony is going to do the same with this one.

If you didn’t get the Back Button Attachment for the PS4 controller, you don’t have a proper PS4 controller. It’s the best back button setup of them all IMO. It’s got a perfect feel.

Yeah, I had one, although I actually hand modified my own eventually to be better, but the attachment was good for folks who didn’t want to do serious hardware mods on their own.

Heh, we will have to agree to disagree. It was not what I would describe as perfect.

Yes, they are actually removable. I’m not aware of any sensors that are actually immune from potential drift. The dead zone on these is adjustable so you can also use that to mitigate minor drift.

I’ve no interest in VR, but that new gaming Sony TV/Monitor thing does look sweet. I might end up with one of those eventually.

There actually are sensors that aren’t based on the physical contacts in the sensors used by most gamepads. They use magnets or something, and thus eliminate the drift that gets caused by the copper in the sensors wearing down. Someone was talking about them in the elite controller thread recently. Presumably cost is what prevents their use, but who knows.

Either way, it’s interesting that they went with removable sticks. Is the purpose for replacing them, or some other kind of customization?

Maybe Microsoft can just buy them out.

The public executions afterward would be optional.

“Select markets” being everywhere but the US then.

Is this the first time a console price has increased after launch?

If you don’t count the Quest. And I’m pretty sure individual markets have had currency related.price increases.

The ps4 raised prices here in canada months after release.

WAIT WAIT is this the same company that charges 70 bux on a rerelease?

wow how could they do this to gamers!

How are people who want one – at least in the US – not having got one yet?

Shit, I stopped posting links in this thread because I figured everyone who wanted one at this point – and who could swing the inarguably expensive list price – already had one.

I have just got a PS5. Didn’t really think it through. I game in my study with a TV to watch TV on while I game. It is something that is a legacy of having to game in the main room while the wife worked and had the TV on and would let me watch what I wanted while gaming.

I now have my own study with a 32" TV in which I watch my streaming shows / Sport as I game on my PC / PS5. The bit I didn’t really think about is I use a 35" 1440p ultra wide monitor. I know 1440 is coming but UW support is not likely and the PS5 does not look great on the monitor.

Even buying another TV does not really solve the problem as I then cannot watch TV at the same time, I can probably stream to the monitor. 1st World issues I know but anyone have any suggestions.

I think Sony has been prioritizing the US with the supply, since it’s the main market where they are afraid of losing to Xbox. (While Europe they hope to win by default just due to the insane PS brand loyalty as soon as the supply situation eases.)

At least in my part of Europe, the PS5 might as well be not have released yet. Most electronic stores don’t even have a listing with a price, just a page saying they’re not taking orders at this time. The few with inventory are pricing it at 50% over MSRP.

Big Market Share Energy