PlayStation 5

One game that’s a damn commitment but is amazing on PS5 is Final Fantasy XIV. It’s a tremendous story if you keep going into the expansion packs. Love it.

If anyone wants into the firmware beta that adds discord voice chat feel free to use this code. should be good for 4 more uses: JTFL-N3NB-ADFR

Thank you, Brad. I redeemed it. I will hopefully be able to test it tonight!

This does look good. I’d missed your post, so I hadn’t seen that preview, but read this one this afternoon:

Sony is teasing something during the Super Bowl. Maybe a God of War Ragnarok expansion?

I’m pretty happy with the new System Software. The Discord support kind of eluded me after the initial setup given that you activate it via your phone. I couldn’t find the place to do that (swipe up after joining a Discord voice chat)!

It’s a welcome addition for sure. I also figured out how to find the playtime for all my games which was added to the splash screen when you move to any title you own. That’s a nice little addition.

OH! Also, the wireless firmware update for the controllers is AMAZING! I would defer that stuff for days at a time because I was too lazy to get a cable and connect to the PS5. I updated both my controllers immediately. Superb!

Apparently Sony had a mini-indie showcase, maybe only to the press, I can’t find anything on youtube or anything. They need to advertise it better, like Nintendo does!

Yup, that’s a nice feature.

Ha, whereas I always play attached via cable (with USB extension). I guess all the earlier decades playing that way mean I notice having to charge more severely than the presence of a cable.

So I got one of these.

Well, not just a PS5, but a new TV as well.

For context, I’ve been using the same 37 inch TV I got back in 2010 (which was fairly cheap even back then). That’s the biggest display I’ve had in my home for 13 years.

And on top of that, I completely skipped over the PS4 (I got an Xbox One that gen for Halo and Gears, and sadly neither of those franchises were handled as well as I’d have liked).

So I decided it was finally time to get a bigger, higher quality screen, along with a game console that would have a ton of stuff to play.

I’m pretty excited!

Congrats! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, and your timing is good. Grab the free PlayStation Collection titles before they yank them from the store.

Yeah, definitely make sure you claim everything in The PlayStation Collection. That’s enough to keep you busy for months. Also, if you sign up for even the lowest tier of PlayStation Plus, you’ll also get free games every month, often very good ones. Evil Dead, Olli Olli World, Mafia: Definitive Edition, and Destiny: Beyond Light are the current games for example.

Oh man good stuff. Lot’s of Grinning ear to ear I bet.

Bloodborne!

It’s graphics feel a bit behind the newest stuff, so it would be a good choice to play early. Or it’s one of my top games, and I’ll make up any reason to get a person started with it. It’s by FromSoftware, the makers of Dark Souls, and controls a fair bit like that except without shields.

And you might also note that The Last Of Us Part II is on sale for under $10 at PSN if you subscribe to any tier of PS+. (TLoU Part I comes with The PlayStation Collection that DaveLong mentioned.)

Note that it’s actually TLoU Remastered (i.e. the PS4 version) that comes with the collection. Part 1 is the same game, but with all the shiny PS5 bells and whistles, and still close to full price.

Thanks for the catch! Oof, that naming makes the series harder for me to talk about.

Yeah, I actually forgot there was a PS5 native version of the game recently when I went to look at how to currently play the games. How easy it is to forget that it was a PS3 game first!

That’s a great deal on Tlou2. Thanks for the tip

New State of Play announced for Thursday this week:

t-11