PlayStation 5

Sony announced a new accessibility controller project during CES today:

I can’t find an answer on this, so I assume you can’t fast charge a PS5 controller? 7.5w is the limit?

Apparently, it’s safer to use your PS5 horizontally, according to some repair shops that have been trying to bring attention to the issue for a while.

https://wololo.net/2023/01/05/youre-killing-your-ps5-by-using-it-vertically-due-to-a-design-flaw-by-sony-according-to-hardware-experts/

It does have an AMD chip!

I think I’ll continue taking my chances vertically. That lets everything in that space have good margins, even if the PS5 is the only device I really use.

Discourse, what are you doing to me? Is this about the PS5 or not?

Hey Playstation folks, I could use an assist. Friend of mine was just gifted a PS5 and he’s fired up but doesn’t know what the best stuff to try it out are, and I haven’t played a Playstation since the PS2 era. I told him if it were me, I’d probably go with Insomniac and Naughty Dog’s stuff, but just curious if anyone had any suggestions I could pass along.

Get Ratchet & Clank since it looks like a freakin animated feature film that you actually get to play. The gameplay didn’t grab me so much as the graphics, but for a while that was definitely enough.

What is this opening up to your friend?

Is this someone who’s already played multi platform things on an Xbox or has access to a solid gaming PC?

Yeah, if you’ve got a PS5 – and especially if you didn’t have a PS4 – immediately hit up the PS Plus Collection. Your friend has until May 9 to claim any and all of the following:

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy 15 Royal Edition
  • God of War (2018)
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Ratchet & Clank (2016)
  • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Until Dawn

Yes, all of those are PS4 games, but a few have upgraded performance (like 60 fps in a few cases maybe?) and if you missed 'em on PS4, a lot of them still look absolutely great these days.

Yeah, my friend and I mostly play multiplayer stuff on Xbox. He’s been interested in picking up a PS5 for a while since he got into From Software games, so he wants to grab Demon Souls and Bloodborne I think it’s called? Anything else like that would be good.

Cool, can’t turn down a crapload of free games, I will pass that along!

If he gets a PS+ subscription he can upgrade to Essential (like $30 more/yr) and play Demon’s Souls with it. There’s also like 300 other games, and if he’s into classic titles the top tier is worth it too.

There are a couple of From-like games on there, but they aren’t very good IMO.

Polygon has a couple best-of lists for PS4 and PS5. https://www.polygon.com/ps5/21720698/best-ps5-games-playstation-5 and The 28 best games on PS4 (July 2022) - Polygon

From those lists, I can second Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Death Stranding, and Deathloop. I enjoyed the original Demon’s Souls when it came out on PS3. The remake, which as mentioned earlier is included in PS+ Extra, looks to be good.

From titles in the PS Collection, I played on PS4 and greatly enjoyed Bloodborne, God of War, Detroit: Become Human, The Last of Us, and the Uncharted series.

There are lots of good games from Japan. RGG’s Yakuza series, Nihon Falcom’s Ys real-time RPGs, ports on PSN from portable systems, and lovely oddities like Vanillaware’s 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

Uncharted 1-4 are all great. He’ll already have Bloodborne if he claims it from PS Plus Collection so he’s got one-half of his From Software fix there. Demon’s Souls can be purchased or played through the Essential tier. Returnal is also in that tier and 100% exclusive to PlayStation.

I definitely recommend Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart as well. Graphically, it’s brilliant, but it really plays great too. Once you unlock all the weapons, it’s a great time switching through all sorts of crackpot options they give you for taking out the trash. Lots of folks say it’s even better on a second play through with everything unlocked too.

Make sure he doesn’t skip the pack-in game. Astro’s Playroom is a superb way to get to grips with the new controller and a really fun trip through the history of the PlayStation itself. Highly recommended.

It’s actually getting a PC version shortly, but agree that it’s well worth playing, especially as part of a subscription you’re already paying for.

I don’t think my friend is interested in getting into another subscription service, but I am making note of the suggestions and will pass them along.

I’m digging Horizon: Zero Dawn (the first one); it’s pretty cheap now and even though it’s a PS4 game it’s beautiful. I know opinions here were mixed on that. If I’m still as into it by the time it’s over it’s good to know there’s another one waiting.

Both Spider-Man and the Miles Morales follow up were excellent, I’d recommend them with no hesitation. The Last of Us and the Uncharted franchises are also worth checking out though I haven’t gotten too far in either.

I have a lot of trouble getting into God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man. I’ve played each for about an hour each. They are supposed to be really good so there must be something wrong with me for not immediately falling in love with them.

Here’s the games I did play on PS4.

Most, but not all, were PS4 exclusive. I would definitely recommend Bloodborne and The Last of Us and Infamous Second Son and Resogun.

Oh yeah, I really liked the first of the “new” God of War games (the 2018 games that precedes Ragnarok), just haven’t found time to try the second one but it’s on my wish list too!

Maybe my experiences can provide an indication if they’ll ever click for you? I needed time to warm up to them.

God of War’s reputation carried me through the first 10 or so hours, and then something about the combat clicked. From that point I was hooked. It has some optional fights at the end that I completely adored. It didn’t feel innovative so much as best-in-class in every field.

The back story in Horizon Zero Dawn that unfolds in parallel with the (mundane and dull) main story grabbed me and didn’t let go. Then, just by virtue of time playing in pursuit of that back story, I gained a feel and appreciation for the archery and hunting. I consider the sequel Horizon Forbidden West a weaker game because it loses the mystery element that most intrigued me, though I was able to enjoy the fights straight from the get-go due to playing the first game. If the game’s barely holding your attention, skip the side quests. They’re uniformly gaunt.

I don’t recall Spider-Man changing much over its course. If the swinging and fighting isn’t doing it at the start, cut your losses.