PlayStation 5

I have been working on moving all of my game playing to the PS4. Except for WoW and Cities, I have succeeded. Essentially paying $500 every 4 years for a new console is cheaper than getting in the build-a PC race.

The only time I uninstall something is when I don’t like the game, otherwise it’s on there pretty much forever. By the time it starts getting full, time for a new drive. If PS5 is like PS4, replacing that drive should not be a huge challenge. I am not even close to my PS4 being full. It’s mostly from a PC habit although I would replace PS4 if I needed to too.

The only reservation I have about this statement is it sounds like the SSD in the PS5 is going to be pretty special, and it might be a PITA to get a drive that’s as good (as they are claiming) to upgrade, potentially.

I would hope/assume they will have a USB3 port that you could use to plug in additional drives. That would allow them to offer a 256GB base model without being embarrassed.

That’s a good thought, hopefully that or something along those lines is their plan.

Thinking about that too, since my gaming PC crapped out a couple months back, leaving me to game on a $300 work laptop. I’ve been spoiled by Steam/GoG sales so the vast majority of my games library is on PC, though.

I sure hope not.

512 or 1TB. 256 would be severely disappointing.

It would be, but at $499 I expect they have to cut some corners, some where. 256GB vs. 512GB might be one of those places, so I’m just bracing myself now and hope to be surprised later.

I don’t think there is any way it will be less than 1TB. This will be a premium box.

Works for me with Steam out of the box, no extra drivers to install. The one exception to that was AC Odyssey. It still worked great, but the facebuttons on bluetooth showed the xbox vs PS4 buttons if using a cable.

I prefer the PS4 controller over xbox or switch by no small amount. Plus features like the gyroscope and touchpad work well and you can come up with all kinds of inventive uses with Steam’s controller configuration.

As usual, wait for finished product.

Think of wasted PS 3 resources, all digital, kinect Xbox one, etc.

SSDs are crazy cheap these days. I bought 120GB SSDs for two of my shield TV streaming boxes for the hell of it. They cost twenty dollars retail.

Exactly. SSDs are so freaking cheap right now, it’s kind of crazy, and the prices just keep falling. There is no reason for them to cheap out on that. If they cheap out on that I will just except the box to start melting in various places because they would’ve cut prices on ridiculous things at that point.

Can’t wait to revisit this. I don’t see any way they’d go with such a big hard drive at any cost. They need something to put in a high-end SKU, and a bigger HD is the easiest one for price differentiation.

Base model: 256GB for $499
High end: 1TB for $599

In 2022/23 they can refresh the baseline with a 512GB HD and the high end with 2TB.

Console makers are not about maximizing options at the bottom end. They’re about reducing costs as much as possible while offering the minimum viable product. 256GB may be disappointing, but it’s still viable. Just like how Apple kept their baseline iPhones at 16GB for much longer than people wanted.

As far as I’m concerned, I barely notice loading times, except for a few games (cough, cough, Hitman), so it’s not an issue anymore. This isn’t the PS1 era.

Hard drive space hardly matters if you can have more than a dozen big games or so.

The Playstation controller is still by far the best in the business, so I don’t want them to do much with it, but that picture posted of it having a big dumb screen on it is a bit worrying to me.

Price is eh. I can spare more or less an extra hundred bucks.

Graphics I’m not particular about, either. I just take the upgrades when they come.

So I’m not actually expecting anything. Playstation 5 is just the next step in the journey.

Why wouldn’t it be true? It’s an official claim from the main in charge of the PS5 design.

That was confirmed as a fake on April Fools.

The battery life is really bad. It would be nice if they fix it.

Sure sure 2TB because that’s a thing.

Because plans change all the time, especially with a console that’s a couple more years off.

Zero chance it is smaller than 512 GB. The OS alone plus some breathing room for upgrades to it will eat up half of the 256 gb leaving enough room for about 2 games with 4k textures. They will be laughed at. Games right now are taking up 100+gb with 4k textures on the Xbox. I would imagine that number to only go up. Hell 1 TB for new 4k system is borderline to small.

500GB SSDs cost fifty dollars retail. Microsoft and Sony surely pay less than this in quantity.

Now, could they use storage to segment the market and increase their profit margins? Certainly! That’s why Apple still sells 64GB iPhones for $1100 when again, a 120GB SSD costs $20 retail. But it doesn’t increase their bill of materials much.