Positech's Gratuitous Space Battles

Yes I’ve heard that. I’ll fix it!]

I should certainly think so.

Cliffski, this looks incredible, you did this yourself?? If I ever get bootcamp running I am going to happily buy this and support you. Looks like a ton of fun.

Hmm, common sense, but do not click on orders before you actually place a unit on the field. Causes a error (cannot find ai behavior…) and crashes out.

Is this coming to Impulse once it goes gold?

Purchased, can’t wait to try it out.

New interview over at RPS and a manual was also posted to the blog, but I didn’t see a link to it anywhere else.

Cant’ figure out how to issue a challenge. I go to the challenge screen and can see all the challenges from other folks, but don’t see anything to click to issue one.

What am I missing?

Its from the deployment screen. you need a fleet first, then you hit challenge at the bottom.
When typing your challenge, avoid capital F, C and E. (don’t ask, it’ll be fixed tomorrow).

On the deployment screen is there any way to have the designs sorted? It appears to just list in alphabetical order at the moment which works, but would be nice to sort by class.

Again, having more fun than should be allowed.

Ours isn’t till next Monday. DAMN!

Played a bit over lunch, also lost every single battle. Going to take a bit of learning, I think…

If I call it Labour Day, can I make today ours?

I like it so far. My only critique so far is that when I abort a battle I’d like an option to be able to go back to the fleet deployment screen rather than the main menu - like I can if I stay around and lose.

How often do you plan to release beta updates? Also, I don’t think you should channel M&B, Dwarf Fortress, Cortex Command, etc. because they have taken forever to get a release out. I take it you are a little more focused than those titles though and realize you were just making an offhand comment. :)

I tried to reply over on RPS but it blew up or something because the website is dead. Could be on my end, but anyway: asynchronous PBEM makes me think of that stupid pyramid scheme Flash game where the little characters fought each other. Something slightly less obnoxious might make for a nice metagame, though that would be a lot of online support.

I think there may be a flow bug or issue.

I finished a fight in the very first scenario - Defending Sirius - (lost, of course), went back to deployment screen (without looking at stats) and got the default deployment rather than my last. I didn’t save it this time before watching the fight, so maybe there needs to be a “temp” deployment save whenever “Fight” is pressed?

Suggestion: sorting by ship type in the pre-battle ship selector.

oh god yes, sorting is messed up. Doing ship design I tend to want all cruisers, frigates, and fighters grouped together for easy comparison.

Also, even though it’s the first scenario only, on normal, I was sad that I broke Defending Sirius. I expected combined arms to rule the day, but it turns out that changing a couple modules on frigates and spamming those I manage to kill the whole enemy fleet using only that one type and finish the battle around 75% strength. And THAT is without messing with orders or positioning at all. I hope it becomes MUCH harder later on.

It really messes up honor, also, as I can manage 1-2k honor per sirius battle. Maybe decrease honor rewards after the first time you beat the scenario, as it’s pretty much repeatable from then on?

Difficulty varies wildly I’ve found - plus of course we’re only playing on the lowest difficulty at the moment (Well, I am anyway).

From the manual, I was under the impression honor only counts for the first time you beat your previous score. I guess if you beat it by tiny increments over and over that could be broken.

Bah, us Americans are too busy working overtime to pay for our health insurance to get these so-called holidays. :)

I am never buying any more of your games, and I’ll be returning your latest game, Cubit’s Big Adventure.

I never thought an open world third person match-3 game made sense, anyway.

true, but (and bear with me as I’m going at this without reading anything) I assumed that the three classes of ship would play out in a way that your cruisers would end up doing the most damage, but I think that numbers may outweigh size a bit too much.

I just tried the second mission. Same ship type, spammed 25-30 times. Beat it in one try. My losses: 17%.