Precursors: Derek Smart is going to be mad

Then point me to the article detailing how to reproduce the damaging of a computer with StarForce. After all, everyone knows it does this, so undoubtedly someone has proved this to be true, it can’t just be anecdotes and rumour, can it?

A bug that nobody knows how to reproduce is still a bug.

If you can’t reproduce it then you can’t show the cause. You may as well say you also breathed on the drive at the same time and that caused the fault for all the evidence you have to back it up.

Nonsense. To show that Starforce is the cause you simply need to show that Starforce users are disproportionately affected.

Starforce is bad and is linked to plenty of hardware failures involving optical drives. You’re welcome to do your own research if you don’t believe that statement, but expecting everyone else to dig up evidence for you just because you got backed into a corner in an argument and are now flailing wildly trying not to look like you had absolutely no idea what you were talking about is just a little tiny bit trollish, sir.

tl;dr – starforce breaks stuff. problem? deal with it. umad?

I think the latest versions of StarForce are just a disc check or online check only tho.

Can we talk about the game soon, please? I just installed the sounds and stuff and plan to get into it soon. :)

Are people really going around and around on this?

Starforce was judged by the gamers to be utter shit. Regardless of whether or not there was objective proof of Starforce’s shittiness, the perception was that the DRM drivers did bad things to people’s machines. Rather than offer an actual rebuttal, the fine folks at Starforce made up an entirely one-sided challenge then proceeded to crow about the victory. You know, just as Ubisoft dropped their use.

I’m finding it hard to drum up any sympathy for them.

Hey, how about that Precursors game?

I liked the 30 minutes I’ve played so far. :)

Sure. Take equal measurements of Deus Ex, Borderlands, Stalker, and Fallout 3, have an inept team of Russians stir it all up, boil out about half of each of those game’s quality, cool without debugging, and serve.

Result is a game that seems interesting until you drive out of your first town on your buggy and everything drops to 0-5 fps sporadically for absolutely no reason that I could tell. I quit playing there.

Also enjoy: Strange camera-static effect that has to be turned off in an .ini, buggy lighting, bad lighting, every mob taking way too long to kill, you not taking long at all to get killed, hyper-accurate-at-range gun-wielding foes, dying multiple times on the first level because of stupid “gotcha” mechanics and spawns, dying multiple times on the first real mission because of monster-closet dog things that two shot you, patching rituals as finicky as Morrowind mod installation and load order to get shit like in-game voices working, and more.

Yeah, you can get Precursors for under $10 sometimes. I guess it could be fun to fuck with in a gaming slump – but we’re not in one. And I’m sure you all have backlogs. And I’m also sure pretty much every single game in them is better than Precursors.

I just wanna get to the part with the spaceships. :)

You have to go through the 0-5 FPS Desert to get to the Spaceships AFAIK.

My machine is old, and I turned all the graphics down to low, so I hope it doesn’t get that bad, but we’ll see. Did you apply the fan patch and still have the problem?

Yeah, you can get Precursors for under $10 sometimes. I guess it could be fun to fuck with in a gaming slump – but we’re not in one. And I’m sure you all have backlogs. And I’m also sure pretty much every single game in them is better than Precursors.

This make me play Precursors more. Sadly, I bought the game on some random service, and my copy is crap, with horrible sounds in the first mission. I am tempted to return to the “mos eisley” town, and take the gunship there, and just pew pew pew pew the rebels on the desert. Until that first mission the game was playable.

Did you install the Russian sound packs, Teiman?

Which no one has shown, unless you have some study I am not privy to?

It’s a self-reinforcing loop. Some people who happened to have Starforce on their computer at the time suffered a problem with their drive. They blamed Starforce, this then causes people who also have Starforce to blame it for drive failures. As people get louder more people notice and then join in.

Problem is, people have declared that case closed. Its ridiculous, like science education is dead or something.

Precursors had no performance issues on my system and minimal bugs, though I hadn’t played much further than doing most of the side quests on the opening world and following the main quest to one new (very focused) planet, so I guess things could still be lurking. It’s neat, imaginative, very Russian. I do agree there are better games on the market currently but nothing that’s quite in the same mode. (Except White Gold, but that’s a far more traditional setting and is otherwise a very similar game, and from the same people.)

I have the ATI sky flicker bug that induces epilepsy, so I can’t play. Pity, because I liked what I saw during the maybe 30 minutes I was able to play. I’m not sure what could possibly be a “better game on the market” that’s comparable to this.

I did say “nothing that’s quite in the same mode”.

Wespe’s 1.4 patch has an option to install a ‘flicker fix’ that should address that.