President Trump Optimism thread

Which, incidentally, is the number of licks it takes him to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

I think most of the undecideds are against Trump right now- he scares them.

The key is to make those folks feel threatened by him enough they that engage. You won’t win Alabama with these folks, but you can win the swing states and flip swing state gerrymanders, and that’s the best you can hope for.

I’m telling all my conservatives that they have to own it.

For years they shrug the shoulders. It’s not their fault! Politicians will politician. No more. I’m verbally grabbing them by the scruff of their neck and telling them “this is your fault!”. You can’t hide from the fact you knew Trump was unqualified. You knew it. You can’t hide from it. If it all blows up you did this. No take backs, no I didn’t knows, no who could’ve knowns. You own this. You knew it. No escape hatch for you. Look it in the face and know you, personally, did this.

This will of course only really work if/when something bad actually does happen. Right now I’m in the “worried look” result phase.

How could anyone doubt this man’s competence?

I know, so humble, right?

I read that this morning. What’s even more disturbing is that statement was in reference to what he said while dissing the justices in San Francisco about the fact that any high-school kid could see the language about the president’s ability to implement immigration rules and would agree his executive order was fine.

Forget it, he’s rolling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

The best thing about the trump bragging about being humble video is the ever so slight grimace that Pence makes after Trump says it.

Fuck Mike Pence.

[quote]
Cooper spent nearly a decade in prison for a 1996 armed robbery in Indiana before he accepted a deal allowing for his early release in 2006, with the felony conviction on his record.

The Indiana Court of Appeals overturned a co-defendant’s conviction and ordered a new trial in December 2005. Prosecutors dropped charges against the man before his second trial began, clearing the way for him to later win a $5 million federal civil rights settlement.

But Cooper, serving a 40-year prison term, opted to go home to his family rather than take his chances at a new trial. That decision in 2006 led to his release but, as a convicted felon, he still struggles to find a good-paying job, he said. While incarcerated, he said his wife and children at times were homeless and lived in shelters. Cooper has remarried and describes himself as a doting grandfather.

DNA evidence points to another man as the shooter, and the victims and former Elkhart County prosecutor who helped convict him now say Cooper is innocent. In March 2014, the Indiana Parole Board unanimously recommended that Pence grant the pardon.[/quote]

But Pence wouldn’t do it, because he didn’t want to look soft on crime. You know, despite everyone saying the guy was innocent.

[quote]
“Today, with one swift signature, Gov. Holcomb issued the first pardon in Indiana based upon actual innocence to Keith Cooper,” said Slosar, of Loevy & Loevy law firm. “This is a historic day for Keith, the other victims in his case and for all citizens in Indiana.”[/quote]

Wapo has a story up about Flynn chatting with the Russians before Trump in office. Apparently has changed his tune to now not having any recollection of talking about the sanctions instead if denying. So, my guess is there is SIGINT that proves otherwise.

A new PPP poll is coming tomorrow. Among other things it will say that Americans think the NYT is more credible than Trump … and that SNL is more credible than Trump as well; that 56% oppose Trump’s wall if the US has to pay for it (37% support); that more support the ACA than oppose it (47% to 39%); that large majorities want Trump to release his tax returns and divest his businesses; and that 46% of Americans think Trump should be impeached. (Nixon was at about that level in April of '74, four months before resigning.)

But the real reason poll nerds love PPP is that they ask questions like these:

If Flynn lied to the FBI about the call, and not just Pence, and they recorded the call…

Nothing will come of it even if there was. There is plenty of proof right now Trump isn’t just breaking with tradition; he’s likely trampling on laws. What has come of it… nothing so far.

Wow.

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/829873005312421889

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/318869-protesters-swarm-chaffetz-town-hall

Acknowledging public concerns over Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, Chaffetz noted to his constituents that the House does not have any say in the Senate confirmation of Cabinet nominees. He later drew vocal boos with a quip: “You’re going to like the bill I introduced to abolish the Department of Education."

Towards the end of the rowdy town hall, the tone of the meeting grew slightly less tense as Chaffetz repeatedly sought to assure attendees that he wanted to listen.

“We’re yelling past each other,” Chaffetz told another member of the audience concerned about the DeVos confirmation. “I understand that you don’t agree with me, but we’ve got to be able to talk.”

Edit: Oh and he ended the town hall meeting 40 minutes early.

I wish that town hall was representative of Chaffetz’s popularity here, but it’s not. It was held in his slice of the gerrymandered SLC metropolitan area. If he had held it in Provo, the heart of the Utah Taliban, the crowd would have been very different.

Looks like Indiana is improving quite a lot now that Pence is gone…too bad about that whole VP thing for the rest of us.