President Trump Optimism thread

Imagine that we were to judge all Christians based on the actions of the worst. For instance, if we judged them all based on the actions of the Westboro Baptists.

Those people are terrible. They actually showed up here in rural Pennsylvania, to protest the funeral parade of a boy who died in Iraq.

But they are not representative of all Christians. Just like Muslims who believe in those things you listed are not representative of all Muslims.

There are so many insults wrapped up in that one comic that there is only one response:

Go fuck yourself.

You’ve been doing a reasonable job defending the conservatives for Trump position in the other threads, and then you come and post this garbage.

Armando nailed it in the other thread.

@Timex and @Papageno, are you speaking to @Teiman or to me?

It’s so easy to be derogatory and dismissive, isn’t it?

I’m speaking to you.

Well, I replied to your post, and specifically mentioned a comic, so, yes, I was responding to your post, or at least to the intended message of the comic, which I presume to be that American liberals fall all over themselves to make excuses for reactionary views if the views are not held by Republicans, or are held by Muslims.

You don’t deserve anything else. You just showed your true colors in one comic better than all of the posting you’ve done since you started in P&R. That comic is despicable.

So we murdered a bunch of children for nothing. Never prouder to be an American.

Copy-pasting the same panel four times. Dixon Diaz has a long way to go before joining Glenn McCoy, Mike Lester, and AF Branco in the big leagues of cartoon bigotry!

That SEAL was a hero regardless but probably lost his life for no good reason.

This post is very insensitive and shows why this forum is just an echo chamber incapable of having serious discussions. Just because conservatives don’t think jokes need to be “funny” is no reason to dismiss their point of view. Instead you should listen to their unfunny jokes - all of them, no matter how many there are or how terrible the punchlines are. Then you should thank them, in supportive, respectful tones, for posting their special, unique perspective about how all Muslims everywhere are terrible. Otherwise you’re a bigot, and should be deeply ashamed for making a conservative feel bad.

Man, that sarcasm was some dessicated shit, dude. Props.

There is nothing conservative about that comic. It was posted without comment for a reason, and there was nothing gentlemanly about that.

Yes, it tries to create the idea that someone who opposes the abuse or oppression of someone based on their religion, must then naturally excuse anything done by anyone in that religion.

It’s essentially attempting to highlight a non existent hypocrisy, where someone would support liberal principles, but then accept barbaric Islamic fundamentalist practices.

But it’s a strawman. Because, in practice, those people espousing liberal beliefs also condemn the acts of barbarian perpetuated by Islamic fundamentalist groups.

What they don’t do is extend that condemnation to all Muslims.

There’s this meme in conservative ideology that liberals ignore things like sharia law in order to be “politically correct” by accepting Muslims.

The meme is fucking absurd and racist, of course. There are billions of Muslims in the world and obviously the vast majority want absolutely nothing to do with sharia law, persecution of non-Muslims, subjugation of women, or whatever else.

Sharia law is imposed by corrupt governments on people who don’t want it. Just look at pictures of Iran from the 60s and it looks as liberal and free-spirited as San Francisco does today. Powerful people then forced subjugation against peoples’ will, and a vocal minority was able to take power over the majority.

If you can tell the difference between the KKK and good Christians, then you can tell the difference between ISIS and ordinary Muslims.

Except that the KKK is currently in the fucking white house.

Sam Harris lays out the issue with Islam, refugees, and Trump perfectly. I do wish Maher would have shut up and let Harris talk more, but nonetheless this segment is fantastic.

TLDR - RoyalWe is wrong about everything except that comic.

Replace ‘Harris’ with the name of almost any guest he’s ever had, and I think your statement still applies.

The comic is bad for all the reasons mentioned above.

However, now that the topic has come up I do believe from my own experiences that well-intentioned people on the left can turn a blind eye to regressive attitudes if they are held by a persecuted minority. There is a wide gamut of social beliefs in Islam, as there is in Christianity, yet just like the latter religion on average it skews conservative. The vast vast majority are nothing like ISIS, of course, but for instance here are some averages from the World Values Survey Wave 6 for Qatar and Jordan http://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/wvs.jsp:

The only acceptable religion is my religion (strongly agree / agree): Jordan 94%, Qatar 98%.
Mentioned in the survey that they would not like homosexuals as neighbours: Jordan 62%, Qatar 83%
Men make better political leaders than women (strongly agree / agree): Jordan 81%, Qatar 85%

I think the way forward for human rights in poorer countries is development and exposure to more cultures and religions. Anyway this post is not meant as a criticism of the Left or anyone here, just something I have been thinking about personally in trying to maintain an objective worldview of freedom and tolerance for all, whether the Muslim in a western country or the woman in poorer more traditional countries.

I posted this link several months ago but now seems like a good time to post it again:

http://aplus.com/a/Muslim-Teen-Spreadsheet-Condemn-Terrorist-Attacks?c=18187&utm_campaign=i2984&utm_source=a100632&utm_content=inf_10_459_2&tse_id=INF_370bc130b0e711e687e8ddfefce09c02

“When people ask, why don’t Muslims condemn things, it paints a faith of 1.6 billion people with the same brush. Any sane human condemns violence and such awful attacks,” she said. Hashmi’s list was made not just for her classmate, but for anyone who felt compelled to ask the same question. “Just because they don’t see something doesn’t mean it’s not there,” she continued. "Muslim and Islamic organizations are often the first to release press statements following attacks, and [we] encourage our communities to donate and volunteer our time to help.

Google docs link with over 5700 entries.

It’s been a number of years since 9/11 but I vaguely remember watching on maybe CNN some religious leaders who received a mic trying to explain the reasons why 9/11 happened. The problem is, there is a time for analysis and study, and then there is time to express horror and condemnation as people are picking up the literal body parts of the loved ones they lost in those towers, well the bodies they could even recover.

The same questions and accusations came up then too. In part, we’ve been having the same discourse, the same arguments and same battle for well over a decade now. And back then, there probably was a large portion of the Muslim population condemning those actions… but it didn’t feel like it. Feels are not rational, but they’re potent.