President Trump Optimism thread

Exactly. Why the hell are we talking about Connors here when Bjorn Borg exists? /sigh

Actually Borg/Connors Wimbledon semi 1981 was a fantastic match…

I don’t buy the notion that a electing an imbecile religious nutjob hurts Trump.

The guy is gonna rubber stamp literally anything for Trump. Every person who voted for him loves Trump.

On some abstract level, the fact that Trump supported the other guy would normally indicate something, but in Trump’s case? Nah, that shit doesn’t matter. Hell, Trump supporters will just pretend he didn’t. Trump’s actions do not matter.

It hurts McConnel, perhaps… but not Trump.

I did hear someone argue on Fox last night (I was changing channels and stayed there for a few minutes) that Moore was so conservative that he would have voted against the GOP health care plan because it was too much government interference in business.

Look at it from Trumpy’s perspective. The guy he publicly campaigned for lost. Aka, he lost. He’s not a long-term thinker. Right now, he lost.

Except he didn’t.
Because he’ll say he didn’t.

Reality has literally zero impact here. It doesn’t MATTER what happened.

See also: the Republican campaign ads patting themselves on the back over how much they’ve cut taxes, or Donald J Trump going on about how no president has accomplished as much as he has in the first 9 months.

I don’t know what we’re going to do about it, but what you say is absolutely true. Reality has little bearing, if any, on modern politics.

:) 345

This thread…it should be closed.

Optimism and satire are two of the worst casualties of 2016/17.

Yes, I’m apparently mentally 12 years old, but this popped up in my Google News app and I found it hilarious. I like to think this wasn’t a mistake, even though it was.

This was once considered one of the worst if not the worst we could come up with.

We know, deep down, that repression is not the wave of the future. We know that the desire for freedom is not confined to, or owned by, any culture; it is the inborn hope of our humanity. We know that free governments are the only way to ensure that the strong are just and the weak are valued. And we know that when we lose sight of our ideals, it is not democracy that has failed. It is the failure of those charged with preserving and protecting democracy.

That said, I can’t disagree with this either:
https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/921062471372226560

Except that I think most republicans had had enough of the Bush family in 2016. Look how poorly Jeb did in the primaries. I don’t think anyone would have listened to GWB if he said Trump was the devil.

Of course I assume GWB campaigned for Trump?

I don’t think Dubya campaigned for anybody.

According to WaPo he did not endorse but also just ignored him; I think you’re right though, he would have had no impact (in one of the Republican debates trump attacked him and of course suffered no blowback or repercussions.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/10/19/george-w-bushs-unmistakable-takedown-of-trumpism-and-trump/?tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&pushid=59e8ee3cfc9a231d0000004e