President Trump Optimism thread

When I was a youngun at USC I was too cool (or uncool?) to care about the Trojan/Bruin rivalry.

Still am. Woo hoo!

I do care about Fed vs. Nadal, though.

I stopped caring about tennis when the racket technology made it so everyone had to just stay on the baseline and hit the crap out of the ball. McEnroe-Conners was sooo much more fun to watch than Federee-Nadal. Now get off my lawn, dammit!

You know who else liked black, red and white?

Hugo Boss?

Well, Mac/Connors was indeed fun as hell to watch. (Although how Connors was able to win slams with that ridiculous T-2000 will mystify me forever.) That said, the rise of graphite rackets didn’t entire kill serve and volley, especially on grass. Edberg, Sampras, etc. Fed even volleys sometimes too! Especially at Halle.

/derail

Huh, now that you mention it, I guess I haven’t seen a pro tennis match in forever where anyone runs up to the net to volley.

Edberg was the last player who did it on every shot. The players since then (Sampras, Fed, etc) do it, but much less frequently. Even Nadal has started doing it, and when he does, he’s startlingly good at it. His percentage at the net is much higher than everyone else, but he’s not used to being aggressive and pushing for that yet. I think if he adds it to his arsenal as he gets older, it could help him win matches while spending less energy, which is important as he gets older.

In the latter part of his career, Sampras came in behind almost every first serve, and not just on grass. Of course, it helped that he was coming in behind a freakin’ cannonball.

Fed has a good serve, but not that good. And returns have only gotten better in the intervening 15 years.

Also, Rafter was a dyed-in-the-wool serve and volleyer, but he was a minor figure compared to Edberg or Sampras.

In fairness, @Telefrog, Earnhardt Jr.'s been pretty open recently about his increasing doubts about the NASCAR fanbase and the need to speak up on behalf of social justice type stuff.

I dunno if he’s gonna get tapped to headline the next BLM rally or anything, but for a NASCAR bro, it’s not too bad.

I’m fine with what Earnhardt did and I’m pretty sure he was commenting on the NFL and the anthem. I just hate how Twitter journalism turns a tweet into some act of defiance.

I feel ya, but it is part of a larger and emerging pattern for him.

Now, whether the person quoted above was aware of that and factoring it into the narrative they were spinning. . . ?

Well, twitter journalism :)

Tom Brady came out an criticized Trump, so I expect Trump to lose his shit about it soon.

So did Kraft. Wonder if Trump will be sending his Super Bowl ring back. Ha! Almost made it through with a straight face.

Nah, it’ll be something classier than that:

I just don’t even.

What is it? What did he say? (I can’t play a video at work, there are other people in the room).

He literally scratches his head with his middle finger like a little kid in the school yard.

Yes, this. Trump is an infant. Emotionally, he’s never grown out of the bully in the schoolyard phase.

Borg or GTFO