President Trump Optimism thread

Probably a better thread for this but I didn’t find a recent one with a quick search so screw it, this will do. It’s a rare decent move from this administration.

Of course, this doesn’t make Pai any less a creature of the big telecoms. Just means in this case their interests align with the consumer.

My predictions found mixed success. Democrats became more fiery and successful in Congress and won the Presidency, but failed to secure a Senate majority. Outreach and voting turnout increased, but for both sides. Misinformation dug in and spread on the other side. On the bright side, I did not do a great job becoming a doomsday prepper and never fired a pistol in the last four years, not even when riots tore through my city. HumanTon was right in that comedians had to step up, though at some point all they could do was make exaggerated gestures at what was happening. If grunge did make a comeback I wasn’t hip enough to hear it.

This was a good idea for a thread. It’s a shame that Trump let it down, even before he was inaugurated.

Fitting that the Trump Optimism Thread went over two years without a bump.

Now we can be optimistic that maybe he’ll go to prison.

I guess I wasn’t brimming over with optimism.

They… have the Senate majority.

Here was mine:

Holy shit lol at #3. I will say that the jury’s still out on #5, #1 was true for one cycle, #2 was broadly correct and led to little being done and the GOP losing both houses, and #4 was correct as worded, but vastly underestimated how oppressive he could make immigration-related racist policies. Overall, though, wow was this overly optimistic.

Only procedurally. Numerically, it’s a precise 50:50 split.

No, it’s a precise 51:50 split.

The Constitution is law, not a technicality.

Four years ago I was pessimistic about a Trump administration.

If you had described the actual last year of his term to me, I would have dismissed it as ludicrous apocalyptic fanfic.

I know what you mean. There were some screenshots of WaPo headlines from some of the last few weeks. If you had shown them to me in 2016 I’d never have believed it to be real, not even as pessimistic as I was about a Trump administration.

That’s one thing I can say about Trump: Despite me thinking it wasn’t possible, he continuously figured out ways to sink to new lows throughout all four years of his term.

This was just two weeks in January.

I’m sure this means something to you.

There’s no reason to asterisk the 51st vote. It’s not some fluke or ephemeral rule: it’s hard-coded into the Constitution.

48c

Seriously arguing there’s no majority because the Constitution only barely says they have one in this scenario is pretty funny.

The shenanigans the other party can get up to when you have a 51-49 majority are exactly the same ones they can get up to when you have a 51-50 majority. The Dems won the senate, full stop.

“Shenanigans” is soooo 2020. “Malarkey” is the new hotness.

Consarn it! You wisenheimers are going to get a knuckle sandwich if you don’t it knock off with the fiddle-faddle.