Prey 2

Hmm, will this end up like Prince of Persia: Warrior Within? Or Jak II?

I’m already seeing similarities.

Teaser trailer is up.

Alas that the previews give away everything that means leaving no mystery, tension or excitement.

Having not watched it, was there a whole lot of those things to really spoil? The words mystery and tension don’t really connect with Prey for me. The only mystery was how many upside down walkways and ass doors would be in the next room/portal.

The trailer didn’t give away what the actual game will look like.

Surely the point is that the trailer leaves you wanting to know what happens next and how it ties into the game. Well, we already know that.

And the opening of Prey was all about discovery as you figured out the rules of the alien ship. That was the fun bit.

From GAF

• Main character is Killian Samuels, sheriff and prison guard.
  • Been in development for 3 years
  • X360 main platform, PC and PS3 versions in development (as announced)
  • Pretty nice graphics overall (not jaw-dropping but good), graphics style a mix of Bioshock and Mass Effect
  • “Heavily inspired by Mirror’s Edge, but also Mass Effect, Riddick and Blade Runner” - Producer
  • Use the surroundings, big areas where you can sneak up on enemies using the shadows
  • No multiplayer, 3D, Kinect or Move
  • As said in the PR, 2012 release date
  • Human head: “If the first Prey was the Luke Sywalker version of the story, Prey 2 is Bobba Fett’s story”.
  • The project has been restarted several times
  • Open game structure. “Go wherever you want, talk to whoever you want, do the missions you want”.
  • GR: “Killian as flexible and limber as Faith of ME, leaping over hights, hanging by arms from pipes, balancing on thin boards and jumping like a cat upwards structures”
  • GR: “An enhanced Killzone esque cover system, battles looks so flexible, brings your thoughts back to Vanquish”
  • Parkour moments when being chased by enemies
  • Money can be used to upgrade your armor, weapons, but also abilities, example to make enemies hover in the air
  • Human Head: “Every area is comparable to Assassin’s Creed 2”, whatever that means. Planet is Exodus. Desert levels, big cities, “in the wilds”, cave areas
  • GR: “It has the moving scheme from Mirror’s Edge, the freedom of Mass Effect and the fire fights of Killzone 2” (writer loved Prey 1)
  • Different kinds of ammo, weapons can be customized/rebuilt
  • Producer: “Who would pick the MP mode of Prey 2 ahead of the one in for example Halo Reach? We’d rather to a really good SP adventure”
  • There will be DLC
  • There will be vag portals, but fewer of them and “with different looks”
  • GR: Loot system “similar to the one of Borderlands”
  • All the aliens look very human like, except for some of their limbs and obviously faces. Very similar to the Mass Effect aliens in both looks and armor/clothes, nothing like the Prey aliens.

So the game is like Mirrors Edge, Riddick, Mass Effect, Killzone, Vanquish, Borderlands, Bioshock and Assassins Creed 2.

But not like Prey 1. LOL.

Still, not a bad set of influences. Also quite nice to see no MP…

Oh yeah, the game idea sounds great. A open city (and more than a city, it seems) where you go doing contracts, with action, stealth, parkour… and all the scifi setting.

It just seemed funny to me to have a game called Prey 2, which is influenced by 10 different games from other companies, but it doesn’t seem to have much of a relation with his first part. And it confirmed my previous notion of not being really a game tied to the Prey IP.

Yeah, this doesn’t need to be Prey 2. The original IP is all but entirely worthless so hanging your hat on it isn’t going to gain you much except a lot of confused people wondering where the indian stuff went. Make a new IP. Just do it.

Using the Prey name brings certain expectations, namely…

• Freaky-ass aliens and architecture that references gross body parts
  • Portals and unusual gravity
  • Linear old school shooter mechanics

Couldn’t they at least have named it “Prey: [Subtitle]”? Slapping a lazy 2 on the end isn’t doing anyone a favor here - but I guess Bethesda feels that the game has better chances to sell than with an original name on it.

Which makes me feel sad about the state of the industry.

The trailer did nothing for me, but mentioning Riddick and Mirror’s Edge has perked me up some.

So Mirror’s Edge’s legacy lives on in this game? In an open world game? I’m excited about that prospect.

Besides, there’s hardly any first person open-world games. Far Cry 2 and the Bethesda games are about the only ones I can think of. Even if this is a more restrictive open world, it could still be very cool.

Precursors!

Now I have no idea why this is a sequel to Prey.

“We explored a lot of the ways you could use portals and gravity in combat, and I really wanted to shift away from making it too much of a puzzle game,” lead designer Chris Reinhart told the latest issue of PSM3.

“Portals and gravity were the functions of The Sphere [the mothership in the original game]. And The Sphere’s gone.”

A story-related excuse for not having to make intelligent, intuitive, and original content. Brilliant!

I could actually see portals and gravity being a cool addition to a sandbox world, even if you could only use them in contextual areas. But I guess they took the easy way out.

Seriously, why use the Prey name at all? This is ridiculous.

First screenshot

Um, that doesn’t look good.

I don’t think it looks terrible. It just doesn’t do anything for me. It looks like it could come from any late 90’s scifi shooter.